Challenger LED Multi-Function Parking Lights - Install with pics & vid

Author Topic: Challenger LED Multi-Function Parking Lights - Install with pics & vid  (Read 7766 times)

Offline _Russ_

• Not very family friendly!
  • Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
G'day,

Recently purchased a set of these from forum member bigblue73 (Tony), for my 1970 Challenger. Basically a plug & play operation, with no modifications needed. Thought I'd do a quick installation thread, showing you just how simple it really is.

Here are 3 "Before & After" vids on Youtube, though you need to excuse the lack of commentary and titles.

Before
- As they were with stock amber lenses and standard 1157 bulbs. Average at best. Especially the right indicator when the running lights are on. Barely noticeable.

After: Daylight
- As they are now after the swap. Crisp & defined.

After: Night
- After the swap, at night. That annoying sound is Crickets. Noisy buggers!

Driving lights are retained & function as normal, but the light for them is now white, rather than orange.

Indicators/Hazzard lights will be orange.

I like the contrast. Not a big fan of the driving lights & indicators being the same colour. When they start to fade, or the lenses become dirty or cracked, it can make visibility to other people very low. That can be dangerous.

...and just to clear things up, when I say "parkers" or "parking lights", I mean: Driving Lights / Running Lights - we all have different names for things, so I thought I should clear that up.

So here's where we start: Cold beer, box of goodies, and a Phillips-head screwdriver - beer is optional.

... what's in the box!

2x Brackets
2x Gaskets
2x LED Clusters
2x Lens Covers
1x instructions

In this shot are also 2x Electrical Flasher Relays. They don't actually come with the kit, but are something that you may need to replace.

Everything in the kit is high quality, and nothing feels flimsy or half-arsed. Very well made, and I believe all Made in the USA.

The install: First - unscrew the 2 screws of the lens cover. Be sure to keep the screws, as you will need them to re-attach new covers.

Remove standard bulb. Replace gasket if necessary.

Thread new wiring through bracket, remove 3M backing tape, and adhere bracket to cluster backing:

Insert into socket. Fits exactly like a standard 1157 bulb. Press & twist.

Set bracket with cluster then lens cover to fit in place. Screw it back in.

Repeat on other side.

Looking good!

Such an easy mod, with fantastic results making quite a difference. Definitely recommended!

Edited to add: There are no modifications needed of any kind. No splicing into wiring harnesses or connection alterations. Simply take the old bulb out, plug the LED cluster in. The one thing you may need is to replace the flasher relay, which is this thing here:

I believe the problem is that LED's draw a very low amount of amps, too low for some standard relays, which can result in ghosting issues, or the Hazzard lights (flashers) not working etc. If that's the case, you'll need to buy one of these - they're called Electronic Flashers or No-Load Flashers. They go under the dash and are very easy to access. Simply pull the old ones out & plug the new one in.

These are the brand I got: http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/catalog/Relays-and-Flashers/L.E.D.-Flashers/FF552NLF/No-Load-Fixed-Flasher Though any decent auto-parts store should stock something similar.

I actually didn't need to replace them on mine, but some people will need to.

:cheers:

:burnout:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011 - 05:59:34 PM by _Russ_ »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Challenger LED Multi-Function Parking Lights - Install with pics & vid
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011 - 08:00:37 AM »
Wow!  Great looking lights!  :thumbsup:

Questions though if I may....

-Do the lights also serve as driving lights?

-Would these lights be a problem during state inpsection time? 

-Sorry if I missed it but where do the driving lights go?

-Any other alterations to the light circuit?  I notice that they blink normally.  I metion this because I thought LED taillights blink too fast of something due to increase current draw?

Thanks!  Again, they look great!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline _Russ_

• Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011 - 05:36:51 PM »
- Yes they do serve as your driving lights. The LED cluster has 2 colours to it. The outer is white, and the inner is orange. The white serves as the driving lights, and the orange serve as the indicators & hazzard lights. Check the 2nd video at the top. It'll give you a good indication.

- No idea on whether they are legal in your State. I actually live in Australia. Best bet is to speak to your local authorities as I have no idea about varying US State rules & regulations. Tony (bigblue73) might be able to you though. He made them. Check his thread here: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=74629.0

- See the first answer. They still serve as driving lights.

- There are no modifications needed of any kind. No splicing into wiring harnesses or connection alterations. Simply take the old bulb out, plug the LED cluster in. The one thing you may need is to replace the flasher relay, which is this thing here:

I believe the problem is that LED's draw a very low amount of amps, too low for some older style relays, which can result in ghosting issues, or the Hazzard lights (flashers) not working etc. If that's the case, you'll need to buy one of these - they're called Electronic Flashers or No-Load Flashers. They go under the dash and are very easy to access. Simply pull the old ones out & pug the new one in - and they're only about $10 each.

These are the brand I got: http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/catalog/Relays-and-Flashers/L.E.D.-Flashers/FF552NLF/No-Load-Fixed-Flasher Though any decent auto-parts store should stock something similar.

I actually didn't need to replace them on mine, but some people will need to.

Hope that helps ...

I'll also add that info to the first post so everyone else catches it as well.

Cheers!

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011 - 07:23:49 PM »
Pretty sweet Russ great job on the install and video.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011 - 01:05:51 PM »
Thaanks Russ for the info and again for the tutorial!  :2thumbs:  Looks great!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011 - 08:01:29 PM »
Great write up Russ - I'm glad everything made it fine and the install looks great.

As far as DOT legal.  I have researched this to death regarding federal standards for turn signal illumination.  Some states such as Missouri are mandated by the color that they vehicle was manufactured with....meaning Amber.  Amber bulbs behind clear lenses or white bulbs behind amber lenses, such as the Challengers.  'Cudas 70-74 all has clear lenses.

The color changing from white to amber at night provides excellent turn signal indication.  I ran this through vehicle inspection here Missouri and ran my car against a police officer sitting in the other to make sure the white lights did not blind oncoming traffic.  The resulting runs yielded very positive results from the officers stating that lights are low enough on the vehicle they do not pose any type of hazard to oncoming traffic.  The amber turn signals are very bright at night (full darkness).

Again Russ - thank you and I'm happy that you like them.

Tony

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011 - 10:28:37 PM »

-Would these lights be a problem during state inpsection time? 

Depending on state, but here in Va., State inspection REQUIRES that ALL lenses/lamps be DOT certified. Or "SAE", "DOT"...Cornering/Parking lamps In the front and front sides MUST be AMBER at all times, as per OEM equipment..

However, if the car is registered as an "Antique", then all bets are off, as you aren't required to have a S.I. Sticker...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011 - 10:32:32 PM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline _Russ_

• Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011 - 11:03:42 PM »
Great write up Russ - I'm glad everything made it fine and the install looks great.

The color changing from white to amber at night provides excellent turn signal indication.

Again Russ - thank you and I'm happy that you like them.

Thank you for supplying a truly quality product!

Regarding the Clear/Amber lens legality issue, did you actually try the LED's as is, behind the stock Amber lenses? I'll swap the lens over on 1 side and run them for a video to give people a chance to view it. Due to the brightness & clarity of the LED's, I believe these would still work very well behind Amber lenses.

That was my biggest issue with the stock set-up I had. Whilst I do prefer the clear lens look, my thinking was that with both the running lights & indicators functioning through the very same bulb, it did lack clarity - evident by the "before" video posted above. With the running lights on, you could barely notice the right indicator and it was something other motorists could easily fail to see ... especially in daylight.

I'll go switch one side over now, and see how it looks.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011 - 11:06:02 PM by _Russ_ »

Offline _Russ_

• Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011 - 01:24:30 AM »
Here's a quick vid of the drivers side with the LED's, but with the amber lens left in place.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011 - 09:40:36 AM »
Very nice write up, thanks for taking the time!

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011 - 10:36:56 AM »
Looks good and simple enough too.  Thanks for the write up.
Jason