Author Topic: Steering wheel upside down!  (Read 9275 times)

Offline jforest1

Steering wheel upside down!
« on: February 08, 2011 - 10:01:43 PM »
So I had to replace my crush can recently after a long bout with my horn.  Problem is the new can is keyed pretty much upside down from the old one.  Only way I figure I can get it right side up is to pull the column out of where it connects on the other end???

Is that true?  Or is there another way?

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: Steering wheel upside down!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011 - 11:01:00 PM »
Installing the coupling incorrectly can get you 180* out, but I thought all cans were keyed the same. :clueless:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011 - 09:48:05 AM »
The coupling at the steering box is 180* off.  That's the only way to fix this.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011 - 10:24:00 AM »
If the coupling at the steering box 180* out, your turn signals wont work properly. Sounds like the crush can is incorrect?
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011 - 05:30:06 PM »
If the coupling at the steering box 180* out, your turn signals wont work properly. Sounds like the crush can is incorrect?
I am working off the assumption that if the end of the steering shaft was "upside down" inside the coupling, everything would still be functional but the steering wheel would always be indexed incorrectly.

How could the crush can be incorrect?  Did anything other than an E-Body use a crush can?  I know that A-bodies used the Tuff adapter... :dunno:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011 - 06:06:52 PM by the_engineers »
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011 - 05:57:01 PM »
How would the turn signals be affected? I can't picture that ?  :clueless:
I'm starting to sweat a little , I sold him the crush can? If it's wrong somehow I have another one? If there is a difference I had no idea? I assumed they were all the same? :dunno:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011 - 07:21:37 PM »
no this is not true,,when I first put mine back together I had it  180* out and my wheel was upside down but my signals worked fine,,when you changed the crush can did you have the column out and perhaps pull it out of the coupler ? thats how mine got upside down,,its an easy fix as coupler comes apart,,if you havent done so yet I would    replace the steering coupler seal
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011 - 07:47:18 PM »
There is a notch on the coupling that should be lined up with the master spline.  :2cents:
Scott

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011 - 07:58:14 PM »
There is a notch on the coupling that should be lined up with the master spline.  :2cents:

yes you are right but you dont have to take it off the spline to flip the the wheel,,just pull apart the coupler and it can be turned 180* and put back together and this will put the wheel back in the proper position
72rtchallenger
stays in the garage

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011 - 08:28:49 PM »
no this is not true,,when I first put mine back together I had it  180* out and my wheel was upside down but my signals worked fine,,when you changed the crush can did you have the column out and perhaps pull it out of the coupler ? thats how mine got upside down,,its an easy fix as coupler comes apart,,if you havent done so yet I would    replace the steering coupler seal

Thats weird....when I put my steering column back in my car, I installed it 180* out and the turn signals didnt work properly. I was all set to buy a new switch (to install when I fixed the the column), but thought maybe I better fix the column first.....when I rotated it 180* my turn signals starting working again. Did the switch mechanism change over the years? or maybe I had something loose?
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011 - 09:34:14 PM »
Did the switch mechanism change over the years? or maybe I had something loose?

It seems just about everything on a '70 is different from the rest.....

yes you are right but you dont have to take it off the spline to flip the the wheel,,just pull apart the coupler and it can be turned 180* and put back together and this will put the wheel back in the proper position
Isn't there a dimple on the steering shaft as well to help get it all together right? So you line up the dimple with the notch with the master spline? Or do I have an imaginative memory? :clueless:
Scott

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011 - 09:43:19 PM »
Thats weird....when I put my steering column back in my car, I installed it 180* out and the turn signals didnt work properly. I was all set to buy a new switch (to install when I fixed the the column), but thought maybe I better fix the column first.....when I rotated it 180* my turn signals starting working again. Did the switch mechanism change over the years? or maybe I had something loose?

unsure what yours did but when your flipping it 180* its just a round shaft turning  and doesnt affect the turn signals ,,or at least not my 72 model,,and i dont think there is any difference in the others

Isn't there a dimple on the steering shaft as well to help get it all together right? So you line up the dimple with the notch with the master spline? Or do I have an imaginative memory? :clueless:

I dont know about a dimple but its the way I flipped my wheel  ,,maybe if I had saw the dimple and knew to line it up I wouldnt have had my steering wheel upside down in the first place 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011 - 10:01:25 PM by 72rtchallenger »
72rtchallenger
stays in the garage

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011 - 02:58:46 AM »
The wheel in the Cuda was also upside down and I found that the previous owner BENT the indexing tang down the have the wheel "look" right side up. After trying to drive I found that the tie rod ends were adjusted so far out of whack that once I centered the wheel it was "upside down" which is when I found the bent tang on the can.

What does this have to do with your problem?....prolly nothing, sorry it's late  :lol:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011 - 08:30:33 AM »

:iagree: That's how mine went together.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline jforest1

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011 - 10:14:17 AM »
I think I'm going crazy.  I took the crush can off, , matched it up with my old can (keying was in the same position), aligned the key with the shaft, eyeballed it with the steering wheel on, and it was right side up!  Then I put it on, and lo and behold it was upside down again!  ALSO, the turn signal returns do work...

So I'm gonna start from the ground up.  No assumptions.

So to be clear, this is the correct position, right?

Mine is upside-down if that is.  Further, the crush can's seam is up (which is my second clue). 

If, in fact, I am upside down (because it's starting to look right side up), then the key in this can is in the 11 o'clock position (the toothless area), correct?

If that is the case, I align that with the toothless area on the shaft, hammer it down (using socket on the middle, of course), and it should be copacetic, jah?

If it is not, from what I'm reading, I'll need to disconnect the coupler, rotate 180, and reseat it.  In that case I MAY need to adjust the metal pin on the inside of the crush can 180 (which may be a task) so that the turn signal returns work.

Ideas/thoughts/advice/corrections?

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system