Author Topic: Phenolic spacer - kick down adjustment on 360 + 904  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Talkwrench

• Perth, Western Australia
Phenolic spacer - kick down adjustment on 360 + 904
« on: February 13, 2011 - 08:35:07 AM »
Hi guys before I add a 1" phenolic spacer I'm concerned that the linkage adjustments will go out when the carb get raised. So how do I do proper adjustment of the kickdown rod after? The kick down rod is more than just that isn't it  :dunno: someone said to me that it adjusts your shift points as well so make sure its set up right ..
Its on my 360 with 904.
Cheers for you help..
"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Phenolic spacer - kick down adjustment on 360 + 904
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011 - 03:14:25 PM »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011 - 04:22:14 PM »
That's tough to say. I didn't have to do anything, but my spacer was 1/2". You are correct, it does control your shift points.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline DocMel

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011 - 09:35:40 AM »
You may not have to readjust, BUT:  If your shift points do change after the install of the spacer, just adjust your rod one turn at a time, reattach, drive,  If still not right, do it again  Key is SMALL adjustments.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011 - 07:41:20 PM »
Looking at your picture your cable is not in the bracket holder, the metal slevee should be in the holder by the adjuster.

Your bracket also looks different from mine when I had the Auto in the Cuda.

You can always get another bracket and modify it....

I use a 3/4" spacer and you should be able to adjust it enough....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011 - 07:47:28 PM by vinb »

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011 - 09:49:24 PM »
Ok i 'll check it see if I can get the metal part in the bracket. I guess my main concern is setting up the the "kick down rod" which is really a .. I hope I get this correct .." throttle position sensing rod" From what I have be trying to find out about it, it's very important to get this right becuase it changes shifts and shift points etc, if set up wrong not good for the trans! I was hoping someone would have the details out of a manual  :dunno:
Not easy for me to get another braket etc because Im' in oz  :aussie: No Cuda's in junk yards over here  :22yikes:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011 - 11:39:20 PM »
Ok i 'll check it see if I can get the metal part in the bracket. I guess my main concern is setting up the the "kick down rod" which is really a .. I hope I get this correct .." throttle position sensing rod" From what I have be trying to find out about it, it's very important to get this right becuase it changes shifts and shift points etc, if set up wrong not good for the trans! I was hoping someone would have the details out of a manual  :dunno:
Not easy for me to get another braket etc because Im' in oz  :aussie: No Cuda's in junk yards over here  :22yikes:
  I would cut the 2 mounting legs then extend the whole thing up 1" to match the spacer.  One thing bad about that type of kick-down is that when you raise the carb with a spacer or just adding a taller than stock manifold, your linkage goes over center then gets stuck at wide open throttle.     Mock it up to see how it fits and you'll see what I mean. Move the throttle all the way open and you'll see the bind.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011 - 02:15:23 AM »
I got ya  :2thumbs: Im off home to have a crack at it, see what happens  :clueless:

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011 - 07:37:31 AM »
No I cant get the metal part of the cable in the bracket, so it will have to stay as is, in fact its moved further away. The lever seems to be ok and not bind. The problem is and looks as though it has been the fact that the rod and connection stops the carb from going to WOT? SO what do I do adjust it so it does and see what happens?? This of course will change it alot from what is was before  :dunno: Also looks like the rod has been cut and welded longer....Maybe it was done like that to except the different lever attachment though??

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011 - 09:19:01 AM »
Your cable is too short because it was probably shortened, came from a different engine combo, or your pedal arm is bent too far towards the driver.  You could look at these and fix it at the pedal or change out the inner cable  by fabbing something up. The cable bracket should be arount the metal end to keep it from crushing or pulling out of adjustment.

The problem you describe is close to getting you stuck wide open. If your rod was adjusted a little shorter it would stick.

Here is a link to the picture I show of how the throttle gets stuck.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=57503.msg593198;topicseen#msg593198
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011 - 09:26:48 AM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011 - 07:22:05 PM »
Hi Rob , I really dont think I can adjust the pedal or brackets to rectify the cable being off the metal part, having said that, it feels right where it is and has always been like that with no probs. I had a look at the pic, I do understand what you mean an thankful of the heads-up on it. I have a different linkage setup to that one. I will make sure no matter what I do that it returns where is should.. would be quite a shock to get stuck at WTO  :22yikes:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011 - 08:56:28 PM »
Ahhh, I see that your bracket isn't the same kind, so it is farther back, probably why your cable end doesn't reach the clamp end. There are other ways to get adjustment out of that style linkage.   Just remember, if it shifts too late, the rod is too long.  Too soon, too short.
Rob

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011 - 10:57:01 PM »
I had a similar problem, was the orig eng a 318 2 bbl?  With a hi rise on the 360 I had a really hard time getting the kickdown adjusted, I finally got it close but decided to grab the one off my 74 360 & put that on, notice the extension added to the throttle cable in the pic(second pic),1st pic shows the 74 setup, much better angle for the kickdown even with the hi rise. hope it helps ,Rich.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011 - 11:02:42 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline Talkwrench

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011 - 08:05:28 AM »
Not havin' much luck guys. I cant get the slotted rod far enough forward to touch the shaft coming off the carb, even bent the rod to try make the difference. The more I try move it forward the less it goes backwards therefore preventing the carb going to WOT. The more I look at it the more I think changing rod lengths top or bottom wont cure this problem... There is an Edelbrock kit [?] to attach to the carb if this has a more central pivot position, as in making in move in a smaller diameter from pivot point it may work? It needs to mach the same amount of movement at the link on the trans [from what I understand, and what would make sense]
Stumped with this one...  :stomp:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011 - 08:27:50 AM »
Instructions for Edelbrock 1481 adapter...may help  :dunno:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/1000/1481.pdf
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!