Author Topic: Torsion Bars: Help Me Pick The Right Size  (Read 9572 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: Torsion Bars: Help Me Pick The Right Size
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011 - 10:11:39 PM »
I picked up a set of the PST 1" bars when they were on sale on ebay cheap.....the unpainted ones last year.

I have a 318 and I added add-a-leafs to my rear.....that end of the car is a little harsh and just a tad higher than I would like.....but as far as the front end?     I dont find the ride overly harsh and it corners very very well......even with the higher butt end.

I was worried at first when i bought them...but now that I have had them a while? Very happy.

:2cents:

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011 - 08:23:52 AM »
my favorite 60 series tire is the Firehawk Indy 500s.  I'm tempted to pick up a set this summer once the stiff suspension goes in, and I know I won't have the 13" rotor kit yet...
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011 - 01:48:27 PM »
my favorite 60 series tire is the Firehawk Indy 500s.  I'm tempted to pick up a set this summer once the stiff suspension goes in, and I know I won't have the 13" rotor kit yet...

That's what I run on the Challenger and my BB Buick! For the money they are great! They come in lots of sizes too!  :2thumbs: The BFG T/A turn into Hockey pucks ( hard as a rock!) after the first 6 months!  :puke:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011 - 09:22:49 PM »
IMO, going over .96 would be a poor choice for a SB,  UNLESS, you are serious about cornering hard and enjoy a stiff ride. I have that size bar in my car, a 440, and with 1 1/8" front sway bars, 7/8" rear bar, find the handling quite good for such a nose heavy car. I don't find it harsh like Tommy does but I have 60 series rubber.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011 - 11:09:39 PM »
Yeah Dodj, I think .96 bars are probably my first choice.  One thing I've noticed is how solid & 'put together' the Barracuda rides now, better than I remember a friend's 71 Challenger RT did back in the late 70's.  It was a rattle trap and sounded like it was falling apart just going down the road!  My Roadrunner was never like that.  I got a bad opinion about E Bodys from that car, but I think the lighter springs, low power motor etc. have actually help save my 73 from the same fate.  So although I want better handling, I don't want to do so much I need to go the next step with weld in frame connectors, etc. 

And I'll check out the firestones when it comes time for new tires again.  I ran a couple of sets on the Roadrunner in the late 70s, early 80s and liked them well enough.

Thanks again, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011 - 06:53:16 AM »
My challenger is 440 but was originally a 318 car.
It still had the smallblock 0.88" bars and it was a shocker to drive.
I replaced them with new 0.92" bars and very happy with it.
Not looking for it to corner like on rails or drag suspension,just wanted a pleasant,supple ride.

Just another opinion to consider
Burnouts are cool but Traction is the Action

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011 - 07:12:49 AM »
My challenger is 440 but was originally a 318 car.
It still had the smallblock 0.88" bars and it was a shocker to drive.
:iagree: Same deal with mine. Going around a corner was always interesting to say the least.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011 - 09:03:45 AM »
:iagree: Same deal with mine. Going around a corner was always interesting to say the least.
LOL   When I got mine on the road the first time I thought I was driving a pontoon boat......between the old worn out small block t bars and the loose stock power steering and the saggy rear end.

Well, definately doesnt ride like that anymore with the 1" bars, ff stage 3 steering box and add-aleafs in the back....I am thinking about swapping out the add a leafs though, but not sure what to swap in......I like a little rake.....my add-a-leafs accomplish that and then some....I think they are like 2" over super stocks!!!!!  So its beating up my ujoints and is just a smidge high for my taste though I have had folks at shows tell me they love it that way....so I dunno.