Author Topic: Clutch safety switch. Other options other than "E Body correct" part?  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
As with anything to do with our cars, simply putting E Body in from of it drives the price through the roof. Clutch saftey switches in particular seem to go for about a 1/3 of what a correct e body one goes for.  Not too worried about "correctness" for something like this. But I need a clutch safety switch as I'm currently just running a direct, always-on ground. Not too safe.

Question is: Are there any other models of mopar switches that will work on an e body?
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Clutch safety switch. Other options other than "E Body correct" part?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011 - 02:28:26 PM »
Question is: Are there any other models of mopar switches that will work on an e body?

That is a unique switch. Lots of manual GM cars in junk yards.  Lots of manual imports too. I'm sure you could adapt one of those $1 switches to trip with your pedal.

You need to get that thing fixed soon too. I smashed my fender because someone bypassed a clutch switch, then traded in or sold the car.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011 - 05:02:17 PM »
Um, yeah. Mine is bypassed as well, kinda dangerous  :roflsmiley:
I need to look up under there and see if my switch is in place.......

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011 - 02:13:45 PM »
Somewhere my failing memory serves a reminder that there was a mention of a Jap car that fits the bill. Thats all I know. If I hunt through the wrecker yards and find one I will surely let everyone know.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011 - 02:17:40 PM »
Year 2000 and up toyota tacoma pickup has a clutch safety switch.  It activates when the pedal is pressed FIRMLY to the floor.  If there was any floor matt or such in the way, the stupid thing wouldn't start, and the same with activating the locking rear axle differential...wouldn't activate without the pedal down solid.  So I bypassed the switch.  Engine won't start w/o some oil pressure anyhow, so needs to be cranked for several seconds to fire.  Works great...truck just jerks forward a little if pedal is not down, and engine does not start.
IMO if you do any backwoods/mountain roads eventually the engine stalls/get stuck in the middle of a deep creek or river.  Really helps to be able to crank the starter with manual trany in gear and walk the vehicle out onto dry land.
Phil

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011 - 12:16:11 PM »
you can use a simple brake light switch at the top of the pedal travel , you do not have to push the pedal far to beat the switch but you do have to push the pedal

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t