Author Topic: My first sheetmetal patch  (Read 1264 times)

Offline 74BlueFish

My first sheetmetal patch
« on: February 17, 2011 - 10:53:30 PM »
My first patch ready to be removed, cut out.

Section cut out and filler metal fitted in place

Tack welded in.

Welds ground down, but still needs more welding and grinding.

This was my first try at a patch where the fit should be flush with the sourounding metal and also my first attemts at the Photobucket.
Dan

Offline Challenger III

Re: My first sheetmetal patch
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011 - 11:03:46 PM »
 :thumbsup: Well there you go! Welcome to the "club"!  :lol:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011 - 03:10:49 AM »
not bad  :2thumbs:   just make sure you`ve got solid material to weld your patch to.  Rather cut out a larger area than weld your patch to rust.  :2cents:
*** Bart ***

Offline 74BlueFish

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011 - 07:42:26 AM »
Yes, I cut out the minimun and the top edge was burning away in a few spots.  Trying to get better on the roof support before I attemt a patch on the outside bodywork where it will require filler. 
  Hope to finish a friends airplane project soon so I can devote more time to the cuda.

I also need to make the photos smaller so you don't have to scroll.  My first day with Photobucket.
Dan

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011 - 09:22:02 AM »
Yes definatly practice your welding on your friends airplane first! Then work on your car no sense taking unecessary chances planes and people are a dime a dozen E-bodies don`t grow on trees you know! :bigsmile:

Offline 74BlueFish

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011 - 04:04:44 PM »
Ha Ha , not welding the friends airplane, doing other stuff.  I can TIG pretty good, learning MIG,  Don't have TIG at the hanger where the car is at.
Dan

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011 - 04:27:07 PM »
Mig isn`t that hard to do most of the work is setting up the machine correctly wire speed/ heat setting and gas pressure. Try making an imaginary pass first without welding  just to make sure you are in a comfortable position.If you got Tig down mig is easy to pick up.Tig is a lot of wrist movement and puddle control where as mig is kind of pull the trigger and go.