Author Topic: 71 'cuda wiper motor  (Read 6666 times)

Offline McHeiSty

71 'cuda wiper motor
« on: February 19, 2011 - 06:44:59 PM »
Hi, I was searching the internet in hopes of finding some help on this issue, and I stumbled upon this forum.

I was hoping you guys could help me with something.

A customer brought in his 71 plymouth 'cuda and wanted me to rebuild the wiper motor, so I opened it and rebuilt the internals... I was in a hurry so I didnt take note of how the gear track was originally positioned... Now Im trying to put it back together, but I noticed that there are ALOT of different ways that the large gear track can be installed in. I tried some, but whenever I would bench test the motor it would not go back to the off position, it would just stop right where it was turned off... Im guessing this is because of the improper gear adjustment.

Here are some pictures... I would really appreciate any help on how the adjustments should be...

P.S. Just to clarify, the gear track Im talking about is the big one taking up the entire diameter of the case.

Offline passion4mopars

• Passion4mopars
Re: 71 'cuda wiper motor
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011 - 09:25:02 PM »
I think I see your problem...you should have a wire that goes on the winding side that has only one wire coming from it.  On that side you add a wire (green) and you solder the one end to the fibre side of the brush cap and then you solder that wire and the green from the winding side that has three wires to one of the contact points on the switch plate.  Your blue wire from your harness gets soldered to the other side of the switch plate...

When you drop the gear put the block at approximately 11 oclock and then insert your gear latch, add your switch plate gasket and then put the switch plate on with the tang in the proper position for E body timing for park position....

If you have any problems, lemme know, I think I can help.  I'll attach a couple photos for you

Offline McHeiSty

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011 - 01:25:02 AM »
Ill try your recommendations tomorrow and get back to you with the results.

I really appreciate the reply!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011 - 03:13:52 PM »
Also after you do what Kim suggested is to make sure that you're using a variable speed switch to test that motor and that you have a ground wire to one of the screws,when testing it.  With the switch in the off position, the motor should reverse rotation, extend the cam, then stop when the inside contact switch gets pushed open.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline passion4mopars

• Passion4mopars
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011 - 06:09:24 PM »
I ground to the housing with an alligator clip (seen in the photo with the gear and gear latch), but grounding to a screw will work also.  I was also going to suggest that he clean the contact points on the inside of the switch plate also.  If those get tarnished/burned/dirty it can cause the motor not to park.  I test/build all my motors, variable or 3 speed, with a 3 speed switch so that really shouldn't matter that much.    Thanks for the assist ShelbyDogg, sometimes I make "assumptions" that aren't always the case and don't mention things I probably should   :faint:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011 - 07:59:51 PM »
sometimes I make "assumptions" that aren't always the case and don't mention things I probably should   :faint:
Me too, then I don't see what I missed till I read my post a few days later.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline McHeiSty

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011 - 02:07:47 AM »
Forgot today was sunday... Will get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply all.

Offline e-chal

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011 - 10:57:45 PM »
Hey McHeiSty, with Kim's (passion4mopars) help you will get the motor running good. She is a genuine customer person.

Offline passion4mopars

• Passion4mopars
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011 - 07:49:10 AM »
Ahh heck we can walk through it together on the phone.  I've done it dozens of times with people and it usually turns out good or it turns up on my bench for a quick little repair and back home it goes    :woohoo:

e-chal  thanks for the compliment, I'm flattered   (it's early and I can't find any little icon that looks like it's blushing  aghghgh)  I need coffee 

Offline McHeiSty

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011 - 03:01:01 PM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! It worked, turned out to be a wiring problem... I really appreciate it guys.

Thank you.

Offline passion4mopars

• Passion4mopars
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011 - 03:27:06 PM »
...and gals??   ROTFLMAO  Glad you got it worked out!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011 - 03:53:12 PM »
It's all yours Kim.
Rob

Offline passion4mopars

• Passion4mopars
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011 - 04:48:15 PM »
Ain't all mine ShelbyDogg, you reminded me I had a couple of blonde moments there and made assumptions in those moments...I think the guys and gals helped....and the OP for getting it working     :woohoo:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011 - 04:54:47 PM »
I test/build all my motors, variable or 3 speed, with a 3 speed switch so that really shouldn't matter that much.   

Would the 077 motor work with a 3 speed switch?   I have 3 of those in my stash but learned years ago to use the right switch with the right motor or smoke will materialize. 
Rob

Offline passion4mopars

• Passion4mopars
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011 - 05:44:24 PM »
Yep you can hook it to a three speed switch, it'll run in three speeds and not variable though...the switch determines whether the motor is three speed or variable speed.