Author Topic: Steering all over the place  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Steering all over the place
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011 - 06:07:10 AM »
WOOO WEEE.....they saw you coming..... Not that hard to do, time to invest in some jack stands.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011 - 08:42:29 AM »
WOOO WEEE.....they saw you coming..... Not that hard to do, time to invest in some jack stands.

:iagree: That's nuts! 1.5K ???????? Sounds like the quote was so high because they didn't want to work on it?
I agree go buy some jack stands and a few tools! :grinyes: We'll walk you through it if you want, it's not hard!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011 - 09:14:01 AM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline EMCD

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011 - 10:31:54 AM »
cool! I'm excited to start working on the car. is this something i can do with little to no experience? I'll go borrow some jack stands from a buddy.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011 - 10:38:40 AM »
Plenty of us have. I rebuilt the whole front end.  Other than basic wrenches, a couple of jack stands, a torque wrench, grease pump, bench vice, most anything else is available through Loan a Tool at many auto parts stores with the exception of maybe the upper ball joint socket.   Go for it
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011 - 11:27:38 AM »

Plenty of us have. I rebuilt the whole front end.  Other than basic wrenches, a couple of jack stands, a torque wrench, grease pump, bench vice, most anything else is available through Loan a Tool at many auto parts stores with the exception of maybe the upper ball joint socket.   Go for it
:iagree:

the upper and lower control arm bushing are shot along with the tie rod bushings. the shocks are cooked to. The quote to repalce them was fricken ridiculous.. something like 1.5k.

sounds like a dealership price .  :faint: there nuts  :smilielol: ,,its not a real hard job although it will take alittle  time ,,and you might consider replaceing ball joints and idler arm and maybe even the pitman arm while you have it torn apart,,
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline EMCD

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011 - 02:33:04 PM »
cool. what PST package should I get to cover the needed parts? What manaul should or could I use that would have step by step instructions along with pictures, if needed? How many hours would you expect this to take a total novice to compelte?

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011 - 03:59:46 PM »
I did the PST kit on my Challenger about 2 years ago... night and day diff.
EVERYTHING was wiped out originals in my front end.
Start checking out between rubber or the poly bushings depending on what you want.

Also, go to www.p-s-t.com and they have write ups from I believe 2 different mags on changing the front ends.

The only special tool I could have used was a ball joint socket, but was able the get the old ones out with a vice. Check E-bay, I believe they tend to be on there ( or if you can borrow one )

Also on time, I planned to have the car apart for a week.
This was for disasembly
Cleaning
Repaint ( remember control arms, spindles stuff like that )
reasembly

Then get a nice alignment.
I tried to get it close in my drive but was still WAY off and needed the alignment.

OOOHHH - PS... another thing to look up is investing in offset ball joints depending on what you are looking for.
I'm sure someone will chime in on this.
I didn't get them, and the tech (who was fortunatley a Mopar guy who let me watch) said I could have used positive caster when aligning but couldn't get it out of the replacement parts.

I did do a write up on it here on the forum, do a search and I'm sure you will find it.
It was one of the best improvements I did to my car  :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011 - 04:05:20 PM by BB73Challenger »
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline BB73Challenger

Offline EMCD

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011 - 11:43:38 PM »
awesome! thanks for the guidance and support. I'm going to do it. what PST kit did you buy?

Offline BB73Challenger

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011 - 06:53:04 PM »
I went with the Polygraphite Super front end kit http://www.p-s-t.com/pc-1968-159-dodge-challenger-1970-74.aspx

You can also buy extras such as a pitman arm at a discount as well when doing this kit but I had already done it before the rebuild.

My LCA bushings were metal to metal when I did mine... no rubber what so ever left on the driver side  :scared:

This kit was not "easy", but VERY do-able if you can turn a wrench. I had not done a full blown front end before and had no problems. Plus the crew here can help at any time  :2thumbs:
I just took my time, and kept track of what I was doing. You shouldn't have any problems.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011 - 09:41:31 PM »
You don't list your age, so I don't know if you're young or just new to the car hobby.  The one thing I would want to strongly stress is "SAFETY FIRST"!  If you don't know how to safely jack up and work under a car learn before you do it.  I always work with as large a margin of error as I can.  Use jack stands rated for well above the weight they will be holding.  Make sure your parking brake works and set it before jacking the car.  Use chocks on the back tires too if possible.  I always throw the front tires under the car behind the front wheel openings so that if the jacks fail you may not be pinned.  I'm not trying to scare you unless that's what it takes to keep you safe.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline cwestra

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011 - 01:44:38 PM »
I'm just getting ready to re-install my steering column and thought I'd post a quick picture of the the line up relationship.  I believe I have it assembled correctly.  The dimple on the shaft just below the coupling would be facing up, with the roll pin hole in the coupling to the fender side of the car (left side).  Is this correct?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011 - 02:57:35 PM »
the roll pin hole in the coupling to the fender side of the car (left side).  Is this correct?

I just looked at mine & that is it's orientation.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline cwestra

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011 - 04:58:41 PM »
I just looked at mine & that is it's orientation.
WIth dimple in shaft facing up as well, right?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011 - 05:06:32 PM »
Yes there is a hole/dimple on the shaft showing just like your pic. 
Screwed by Photobucket!