Author Topic: GROUP BUY ANYONE???  (Read 10758 times)

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
Re: GROUP BUY ANYONE???
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2011 - 05:02:40 PM »
I don't know what their margins really are so I am merely speculating. A couple months ago, I contacted a guy who makes these really cool brackets with wheels you bolt onto the frame so you can take a rolling shell to the blaster, painter, etc. Indiviually, the stuff I wanted went for about 1000, I contacted him and asked for a deal if I bought all three items I needed. He offered a 20 percent discount if I bought all at once. I agreed because thats 200 bucks for other stuff.

It seems hard to believe that a company would specialize in making high ticket items that few people buy on a daily basis and then sell them for only a few dollars profit a piece. If they do, then so be it but it's gonna be hard to get a bunch of guys to cough up 800-1000 bucks on the spot for an item they might not need anytime soon simply to save 50-80 dollars. I'm 1-2 years away from needing to buy a dash but I'd find the money if I was saving 200-300.

Consider this, every industry in the world in offering huge dicounts on their stuff these days but if you look at the classic car restoration industry as a whole, the prices are unchanged and some even have raised their prices in the past year or two as if everyone had disposable money to keep pumping into their cars.

Just my two cents worth.

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2011 - 06:11:02 PM »
I don't know what their margins really are so I am merely speculating.  I'm 1-2 years away from needing to buy a dash but I'd find the money if I was saving 200-300.
I agree with everything you said. There is a difference in margins between the company that actually provides these items, and the vendors we purchase them from. As I said before, I'm not needing one for awhile either. My fear is by the time I really need it, they won't be available. If the restoration activity slows off enough during this economic slowdown, we will probably see more of the companies that provide these great pieces we need start dropping off!  :cheers:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2011 - 10:13:27 PM »
Good point.  I am sure if we keep heading in the direction the economy is, we will surely lose some of our parts reproducers.  The sooner the better I guess. 

I would like to get in on a dash if that is the plan.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline beekppr

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2011 - 11:22:39 PM »
I see your point. Maybe we should try for something that comes directly from a manufacturer as opposed to a vendor. Doesn't Just Dashes do their own work or are they actually a vendor?

And I definitely agree with you on the thought that many of these manufacturers could go under in this recession. I worry about that too. It's finally getting to the point where you can get quality reproduction stuff and have different places to pick from. So if that were to happen, the million dollar question would be which company going under hurts the most? Weatherstriping companies? Dash companies? Or maybe the little guys who offer those tiny little clips and screws which would be murder trying to find otherwise?

I guess the only comforting thought is that even if they all went under, there is a large surplus of stuff which would continue to be available for a least a year or so before completely drying up.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2011 - 07:55:02 AM »
I would prefere to work with one of our sponsors on the dash pads ( Dave or Nick?) As they have always treated ALL of us really good with discounts and sponsoring this site. Also both of these guys know where the fitment/quality issues are and inspect them before they ship out. I fear if we worked with the manufacturer we would get the rejects ? I would GLADLY cut Dave or Nick in on the deal to avoid this. Sometimes it's not just about saving the last nickel?  Expertise and loyalty count for something too. :2cents:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline beekppr

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2011 - 11:43:37 AM »
Yeah, you're right about that. If they are sponsers and have taken care of the guys in here before, and they know the products better than anyone, then it would be worth a bit extra for that. I'm used to being loyal with the Mopar friends I trade with. I've never had a company treat me with loyalty so I'm not used to repaying it. But you guys all speak well of the sponsers in here so I can respect that. As I get my Challenger project moving forward, I am hoping to get to know these guys myself and I will be happy to buy from them.

Speaking only for myself, I have three classic cars to feed, two of which have bent frames and need serious money put into them so I have to be careful how I spend the money. I don't want to be one of those guys who sells off his project car which never got started but has a boatload of parts to go with it.

If the dash is a great discount, I'm down for it but if we are only talking about mild discounts, I would be better off focusing on buying the sheet metal I need now. And of course we could still go with the sponsers in here if they have what we need.

I'll keep on eye on what everyone else decides and I'll try to join in if I can.

Thanks for taking the time to do this Wizard.

Offline the Wizard

• Business Manager
  • Imagination is more important than Knowledge - Albert Einstein
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2011 - 12:44:18 PM »
Independant of the vendor issue (middleman), who is the refurbisher of choice?  Let's start there......who do we want this service/product from?

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2011 - 01:13:26 PM »
Independant of the vendor issue (middleman), who is the refurbisher of choice?  Let's start there......who do we want this service/product from?
From what I've seen so far, Ultimate Rides provides the nicest product. There is one of our members that is in the process of installing one right now. I, along with a few other members, am/are  waiting to see how the rest of his turns out, but so far it looks really nice. Mopar Dave has said good things about them in previous posts. There may be others on this board that are more enlightened than me.  :2cents:

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2011 - 01:20:10 PM »
I would prefere to work with one of our sponsors on the dash pads ( Dave or Nick?) As they have always treated ALL of us really good with discounts and sponsoring this site. Also both of these guys know where the fitment/quality issues are and inspect them before they ship out. I fear if we worked with the manufacturer we would get the rejects ? I would GLADLY cut Dave or Nick in on the deal to avoid this. Sometimes it's not just about saving the last nickel?  Expertise and loyalty count for something too. :2cents:
Point well taken Brad. There would be more of a personal stake involved with purchasing from one of our own members, also a chance to help out one of our own!  :thumbsup:

Offline the Wizard

• Business Manager
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2011 - 02:24:18 PM »
Is Ultimate Rides the company that takes so long?  Is that ok with everyone?  Do any of our vendors sell Ultimate Rides or do they only sell direct?  AZ Nick......are you monitoring this post?

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2011 - 04:15:44 PM »
Is Ultimate Rides the company that takes so long?  Is that ok with everyone?  Do any of our vendors sell Ultimate Rides or do they only sell direct?  AZ Nick......are you monitoring this post?
I think UR only goes through vendors. AZ Nick or Mopardave will know if this would even be feasible.  :dunno:

Offline the Wizard

• Business Manager
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2011 - 04:31:58 PM »
Is UR the company that takes so long and is that ok with everyone?

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2011 - 04:42:18 PM »
Is UR the company that takes so long and is that ok with everyone?

Through all my research Ultimate Rides is the dash of choice. AZ Nick sells them and I believe it is what Roseville Moparts carries. It is OK with me if they take a while. As long as it gets here.

Offline the Wizard

• Business Manager
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2011 - 04:46:44 PM »
amd we'd pay a core charge to be refunded in full later?

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2011 - 04:51:17 PM »
amd we'd pay a core charge to be refunded in full later?
Correct.