Author Topic: steering pulls badly to left-help  (Read 651 times)

Offline barryv

steering pulls badly to left-help
« on: February 26, 2011 - 11:07:01 AM »
hi.i just replaced steering columns in my 72 barracuda. i took it around the block and steering felt much tighter then with my old column. if i let go of wheel it pulls hard to left. i jacked up car when running and held front wheels straight while holding the steering wheel.when i let go of wheel the wheels and steering  wheel turned all the way to the left by itself. i had no steering problems etc until i replaced column.any help would be very helpful,thanks

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: steering pulls badly to left-help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011 - 01:24:23 PM »
Valve adjustment

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline barryv

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011 - 03:57:42 PM »
i tied that and it seems to have helped alot. my steering wheel when driving straight is not in the position as if it should be .should i take wheel off and try to align  it better or do i need a front wheel alignment,thanks

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011 - 05:13:51 PM »
It's possible that the tie rods are not close to even or that the steering box was not straight when the coupler/column was attached. I had my front end completely apart & tried to find the steering box center but was off a full turn, final adjustment was with the tie rods to center steering wheel about 30 degrees.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011 - 05:16:18 PM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline barryv

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011 - 06:38:51 PM »
eveything was fine until i replaced columnfront end has been rebuilt last year.i think i have to adjust that steering valve little more.hopefully it will get better,thanks