Author Topic: Had a idiot attack last nite  (Read 4243 times)

Offline AARCUDADEN

Had a idiot attack last nite
« on: February 27, 2011 - 12:49:49 PM »
I've been working on my Dart Sport since last weekend getting it ready to put in the new clutch back in. Had everything else done and ready to the point to slide the trans back up to the bellhousing and thats where it all went bad. Mentally Challenged (Chris) and i fought this dam thing from the begining and just couldn't get it to slide the rest of the way in lacking about that last inch. So idiot me figures it just seems like its just lacking starting in the pilot bushing or maybe just a little on a bind and got a cresant wrench latched on to the clutch fork to releive the tention and i broke the end off the clutch fork  :banghead:  :crying: I know some really good welders but not sure if they can weld cast or weather i would ever trust it anyways due to its broke and thats a crutial area there. So i need to find another one or make a call to Brewers and get buy a reconditioned one. Okay guys let me have it and tell me what an idiot i am  :lol: :bricks1: So if anybody out there in mopar land has a spare clutch fork for a small block holla  :wave:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Re: Had a idiot attack last nite
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011 - 02:32:01 PM »
Don't you have to depress the clutch to get the last inch? :dunno:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011 - 04:07:54 PM »
Don't you have to depress the clutch to get the last inch? :dunno:

nope
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011 - 06:16:45 PM »
nope
:iagree:
but seeing as you had it that close seems like it wasnt in the splines right,,
you did use a spline tool to center the clutch i assume ?also you have to have the engine an tranny at the proper level to slide together,,you have to have a jack under both and level it as it slides together,if its spaced more at the top than bottom or vice versa it will not slide together,,this just requires you eye balling it as your installing,,the slightest bit off unlevel will stop it from going together,,just from what your saying it sounds like it was in a bind slideing it together  :2cents: and buy a new fork,,i might even have one if needed,, but i will have to look
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011 - 06:20:03 PM by 72rtchallenger »
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline the Wizard

• Business Manager
  • Imagination is more important than Knowledge - Albert Einstein
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011 - 07:13:17 PM »
I think you have BALLS for sharing your story!

Cause, by you telling this story it will educate the rest of us when the final answer comes.  I know I sure dread this step every time I've had to do it....like 50 times maybe.  And no matter how smart I think I am it is ALWAYS more difficult than it seems it should be?

Anyway, good luck finding the fork......

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011 - 08:28:52 PM »
It was definitely pressing. We were both tired, and not really thinking real well. Just couldn't find the happy level spot to get them to slide together. We probably should have waited for a day that wasn't filled with events. Then we would'nt have been as tired, but things happen. It will go together soon.
Chris, Ohio

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011 - 08:44:51 PM »
I think you have BALLS for sharing your story!

Cause, by you telling this story it will educate the rest of us when the final answer comes.  I know I sure dread this step every time I've had to do it....like 50 times maybe.  And no matter how smart I think I am it is ALWAYS more difficult than it seems it should be?

Anyway, good luck finding the fork......

:iagree:  Thanks for sharing this with us.  I haven't done a clutch in a mopar but in foreign cars and how things actually coming together sometimes is a mystery, but so long as the car runs... It'll be interesting to see what the issue was.  Experience is learning from your mistakes also from those of others.

May the "fork" be with you....  :roflsmiley:  Sorry, bad joke....  :misbehaving:

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011 - 09:31:14 PM »
 Yeap i used the spline tool to center the clutch. We were in the splines on the clutch just don't think we were centered enough to slide in through the pilot bushing. Its my own stupid falt and i'm not affraid to admit my mistakes and we all have done stupid stuff  :biggrin: I got a couple of possibilities of finding another fork no biggie there so next weekend i'll have another go at  :wave:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011 - 11:50:58 PM »
Yeap i used the spline tool to center the clutch. We were in the splines on the clutch just don't think we were centered enough to slide in through the pilot bushing. Its my own stupid falt and i'm not affraid to admit my mistakes and we all have done stupid stuff  :biggrin: I got a couple of possibilities of finding another fork no biggie there so next weekend i'll have another go at  :wave:

u know what sucks is that the next time you put that tranny up to slide it in ,,,it will go right together and the bolts will be started before u can think,,what was i thinking, :drunk: let us know the progress
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011 - 01:51:38 AM »
That is exactly what we were talking about before we took it back out. Dennis said watch, we will go to take it out-and it will slide right together before we get it out. Luckily that didn't happen, would have been a real pi$$er
Chris, Ohio

Offline Cuda54

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011 - 02:11:00 AM »
What helps is a pair of ready bolts about 6"long in the bottom holes to act as guide pins. That is what I used to put in trans when I put it in by myself. :cheers:

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011 - 09:12:47 AM »
Isn`t the clutch fork stamped steel?If so it is easily welded as strong or stronger than before.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011 - 09:52:20 PM »
Isn`t the clutch fork stamped steel?If so it is easily welded as strong or stronger than before.
Not this one it looks like cast  >:(
Dennis,Ohio

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011 - 11:10:01 PM »
It's a little thing, but a wee bit of Lubriplate on the splines and input shaft nose is a good thing. Be sparing 'cause you don't want it throwing off onto your nice, new clutch disc. :2thumbs:

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011 - 12:55:43 PM »
I feel your pain. Sux about the fork. Havn't seen a cast one. I've had my trans. out 5 times in the last 2 months.Every time is different.The first went too good.Perfect.  Then it went downhill. The last time I had to rest.It would not go.Had to pull it back and spin it a bit. Not/No room there with the tko. When you line up the disc,Make sure it's centered around the outside.They like to drop a bit. Does the tool fit tight? had to run some tape around mine to help hold it up. I'm going for #6 this week... :working:   :crazy: R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"