adding a garage?

Author Topic: adding a garage?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline 71chmark

adding a garage?
« on: March 03, 2011 - 01:35:19 PM »
I want to attach a 24x24 (wood) garage, eave entrance, to the back of my unattached 24x24 cinder block garage.  Anyone have an idea how much I should expect to pay for this?  I just want a basic bare bones garage with concrete pad.  Unfinished no electric.  I’m just looking for a round figure to decide if I even want to start getting estimates. 
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
Re: adding a garage?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011 - 02:01:00 PM »
20-25K    no windows? what kind of exterior finish? Door(s)?  Might be nice to have a drain. What kind of roofing? Ect...   

Traditional framing? codes?   I've been a contractor for 20+ yrs.  Lot's of factors all contribute to the overall cost of a project. 

Maybe take a few pix.   R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011 - 03:07:18 PM »
No window.  No drain.  Traditional framing.  Shingle roof.  Single car garage door.  One entry door.   
I may be schizophrenic,

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011 - 03:57:08 PM »
Are you going to do the work yourself or hire a contractor? I built a 2 level addition to my home last year approximatly 22' x 28' with full basement for about $80,000. I had 3 contractors give estimates of $80-$100 $115K just for framing,foundation and finish exterior make it weather tight. :eek2: I acted as my own contractor and did the whole thing including all the mechanicals plumbing,heating,electrical,a/c and finish carpentry for about $80K.This is just to give you an idea how much a contactor marks it up.I went to a local lumber yard with my plans and they figured out all the material I needed for my project using engineered wood and trusses all the studs pre cut to length it was great. Your garage would be a lot simpler to build with just regular 2X4 framing.
Ask around at the lumber yard for GOOD carpenters looking for work,in this economy help is not hard to find.If you hire anyone ask if they have done any work to homes in your area so you can drive by and see their work.Wouldnt hurt to knock on a door to ask the homeowner their opinion of them.I can`t tell you how many guys came by my place looking for work I live on a deadend street the only way I figured they knew how to find me was by going to the lumberyard and asking if anybody was building anything or maybe checking at the town hall to see who had pulled any permits.
$20 -$25 K seems a bit steep to me. I`m thinking you could get it done for about $5-$10 K probably closer to $5 if you do it yourself.

I would think 2 good carpenters with maybe a helper could rough frame that in a weekend, wk wk-1/2 finish the whole project.

My advice get a list of material from a lumber yard,pull any necessary permits yourself. Hire 2 good carpenters pay them cash and let them do it.If your concerned about any injury/liability issues during construction contact your insurance agent before you start!

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011 - 07:11:36 PM »
Concrete will be about $1000.  Add site prep costs to that.

Not sure if you have a Menard's near you, but this should be close for the "parts only" quote.
http://www.menards.com/main/projectDisplay.html?projectCode=1959310

The DIY cost looks like $6000, turnkey...
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 71gogreen

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011 - 07:56:18 PM »
figure 40.00 per square ft. if you do most of the work. aprox.estimate if contracted out 110.per square ft.so 500square ft. is over 5000.00 for framing. just to be safe  get at least 2 estimates if subcontracting out.I stick framed my 2-story shop in 1990 it cost me 11,000.00  that was 1,500.00 square ft. it includes footers,blockand electrical work.frank 3-3-11 :wave:
71challenger-millcreek park\71challenger-millcreek

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011 - 09:34:04 PM »
$110 per sq ft for a garage??? We build houses for that in the Midwest (OP is in Ohio). I'd figure $20-25 for the DIY and $45 for hired out.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011 - 08:17:02 AM »
Barracudadan has the right idea as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping to have another garage built at our other property this spring, a local lumber yard has quoted a price of under $8,000.00 for materials (finished and complete) excluding foundation, floor, insulation or electrical, for a 30' X 36'. This is including a 16' and a 9' door as well as a side entry door and 2 windows, this is also 2X6 walls and trusses to span the 30' depth. If you have a vocational or tech school near they may be interested to provide the labor as a class project.?
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011 - 12:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Looks like my best option is to have the pad installed, have the materials delivered and pay an individual to build.  I know the big companies have their place but I would rather just pay for knowledge, labor and materials and leave out their overhead fees and profits.  Craigslist has a lot of skilled laborers looking for work, so if I were to get a hold of someone and say put this together for me, how much should I expect to pay for labor (realizing he would have to pay his helpers).  I'm just trying to make sure I pay a decent wage but not overpay too much.
I may be schizophrenic,

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011 - 12:45:27 PM »
Wish I could help. I'd do it for the fun.It's rewarding...

And bet I'm within 10%  :stirpot:

Price of materials=Price of labor.  In the end,it's always close. Just watch.
Yes,You should GC it yourself.Craigslist is a great place to look.And help someone else too!
If you have any questions or concerns about anything,I'd be glad to help in any way.

Ask around. Post up in the wanted section of CL?
Garages are easy. But get someone that knows the local codes. Go down to city planning and get some quick info. packet. Are you considering a permit? That's one question that will add some cost. You, as a home owner, should be able to get one.Maybe get a book on garages from Home depot er something if you are not familiar with basic construction.  Just some rambling thoughts...

R/T

'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011 - 04:35:35 PM »
I would be very interested hearing how this turns out for you.  I would love to add  a  1 1/2 or 2 car garage to the back of my house, but don't have the $$ to do that and work on the cars both.  So its an either/or thing for me right now.  At some point I should have the money to do both, but if there's a cheaper way maybe that will be sooner than later.
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011 - 05:16:35 PM »
the right contractor with no electric or anything and a concrete floor about 20k or more,,get them to frame it up and put the roof on and do the inside your self,,and unless you have a lift,,put in a pit in the floor,,put one in mine and wasnt that much more and no lift taking up space  :2cents:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011 - 07:16:50 PM »
i got about 20-23k in my 30x36 all finished with large window, skylights ,electric with over sized garage door poured 4 foot walls and nice finished floor

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011 - 09:42:06 PM »
71chmark,

I built a 24x28 garage 3 years ago.
Foundation work - cement foundation for block wall, block, pea gravel for cement pad, cement for pad = roughly $4k
I puchased the garage kit at Lowes - it was a 2 story.  2nd floor was designed to be a small efficiency apartment, included siding, 2 windows downstairs, 2 windows upstairs, 1 double noninsulated garage door manual not electric, shingles for roof, all boards needed for framing, header, and boards for roof - roughly $9K

I farmed out the foundation and roof (since it was a 10/12 pitch roof).
I built the garage. 

Total $13K

My advice is to shop around.  Get quotes from Lowes, Menards, Home Depot and make them compete against eachother for your business. 

T1971Chally

Ted
1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum
:cheers: