Author Topic: Hotchkis or XV ?  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
Hotchkis or XV ?
« on: March 04, 2011 - 12:00:59 PM »
I need to get a complete suspension for my 71 cuda. I am looking at the XV level 1 kit http://www.xvmotorsports.com/products/detail/index.cfm?nPID=286&cid=2&cdesc=Suspension

But I can get the same commponents from Hotchkis far cheaper through http://neverenoughauto.com

So any idea on which is better. Or has anyone delt with Never Enough Auto? Their prices are way cheaper then what is on the Hotchkis site.
1971 Hemi Cuda

2005 SRT-10 Regular Cab Flame Red.   12.771 @ 109.67 <-----Time Slip --Video
Mopar: Headers, Exhaust, Ram Air, ECM

2008 3500 Mega Cab Dually, Resistal Edition

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
Re: Hotchkis or XV ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011 - 01:35:58 PM »
I'd go with hotchkis if I had the choice. XV's customer service is just about the worst around.
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011 - 03:27:21 PM »
I got my Hotchkis parts for this E-Bay supplier. I bought my stuff off of e-bay and he lowered the prices even more! Great honest guy to deal with!
http://myworld.ebay.ca/mattsclassicbowties&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID
Here is his web site    http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011 - 06:26:53 PM »
XV is about the most scienced out kit on the market for a suspension that retains all stock mounting locations. Since it was put together using 4 post rig simulations and combines stepped up suspension rates with specifically valved shocks, it acheives a significant increase in handling without a big sacrifice in ride comfort. If you want everything to look stock while improving performance, this is the kit to get.

Hotchkis is designed by a company with deep racing roots. They went after improvements by altering pick up locations and correcting the few faults with the factory design and layout. Through improving the motion of the suspension, they make it more predicatable and linear in its performance. The Hotchkis pieces do deviate considerably from stock appearance but produce great results if you like to push the limits of your car's handling.

Hard to say if one is absolutely better than the other. That's linda of like asking is chocolate ice cream better than strawberry. XV does seem to have customer service issues, though I have never experienced that with them.

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011 - 11:47:25 AM »
All I am looking at getting is the rear springs, torsion bar, and front & rear sway bar. Maybe the adjustable strut rods but I am on the fence if I really need them or not. This will be mainly a daily drive so I am not going to go as far as the upper control arms.

So for rear springs, torsion bars, sways bars and adjustable strut rods (this is the XV level 1 kit) I can get Hotchkis for $655 less then XV only difference is that XV has shocks and none with the Hotchkis, but I think I can get shocks for less then 655. And if I use the stock strut arms that saves another $248.
1971 Hemi Cuda

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011 - 08:05:47 PM »
Shocks are to the suspension as a cam is to an engine. If you go Hotchkis and match it up with cheap shocks, you negate a big % of gain. If you go Edelbrock shocks, which are probably the minimum I'd use for a street cruiser with this set up, your adding $400 to the cost so it is only $255 cheaper. If you go with the Hotchkis recommended Bilsteins, there is practically no difference between the two.

Offline SBDave

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011 - 08:16:42 PM »
I went with XV level 1 and love it.  Customer service has been alright with me.  Any issues I have had with their system they took care of.  Things could have happened faster, but they did fix everything in the end.  I have also bought some miscellaneous items from Hotchkis and have been happy.  I agree, don't skimp on the shocks.  I have heard mixed reviews of both companies.  Choose which one you like best and go with it,  you'll be fine.

Dave

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011 - 04:58:39 PM »
Shocks are to the suspension as a cam is to an engine. If you go Hotchkis and match it up with cheap shocks, you negate a big % of gain. If you go Edelbrock shocks, which are probably the minimum I'd use for a street cruiser with this set up, your adding $400 to the cost so it is only $255 cheaper. If you go with the Hotchkis recommended Bilsteins, there is practically no difference between the two.

Bilsteins shocks that Hotchkis recommends are $400 for the set of 4. I also have gotten some pricing from PST now to through some more confusion in. All of these include:

Rear Springs
Front Torsion Bars
Front & Rear Sway Bars
Shocks - Hotchkis and PST are both  Bilsteins, XV is what ever is in there level 1 kit

XV Level 1 Kit = $2,250.00 - This does include the adjustable strut rods that I don't have priced in the other two, but it does not include shipping
Hotchkis = $1,747.00 - Includes Shipping
PST = $1,445 - Includes Shipping

I guess for the price difference I am really looking at PST unless their is some big problem with them. Fact is this will be mainly a street car, no road racing, might take it to the strip once or twice just for fun.
1971 Hemi Cuda

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011 - 10:39:09 AM »
XV uses an Afco shock that is custom valved specifically to their spring frequencies, which are all matched to the particular body style and engine combination, using factory shipping weights and weight distribution. You bolt this kit on and forget it. I would liken their kit to a custom suit that is tailer to fit you perfectly.

Hotchkis and their Bilsteins and are revalved to work in a range of frequencies that are typically found in higher performing systems. Hotchkis did help develop this shock's valving before they offered torsion bars, so they are not precisely dialed in, but are closer than most of us could ever get them to be. Hotchkis has done a considerable amount of homework around improved geometry and adjustability. Perhaps there kit is better suited to the tinkerer who wants to dial in the suspension to best suit their needs. BTW, Hotchkis t-bars are 1.03, XV are 1.12. Using the suit analogy above, this one one from Mens Warehouse that is close to fitting but gets pants and sleeves hemmed to fit.

PST is a collection of aftermarket parts built by other companies that collected, packaged,  and offered as a kit. Nothing inherently wrong with that or PST, but you can probably source all the individual pieces almost anywhere else. Are you sure that their kit price is for Bilsteins and not KYB, because they do offer both shocks. Personally, I buy all my suspension rebuild kits from PST, but have never picked up other hard parts from them. I believe PST is also offering 1.03 bars  in their kits and Hemi style leaf springs out back.

Offline Mopar_Mudder

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011 - 11:29:03 AM »
You are correct that PST uses a 1.03 bar like hotchkis does. The e-mail quote that I got from PST does list the shocks as Bilstein shocks also.
PST does list two different rear spring options: "rear spring pair stock replacement,  hemi spring 6 leaf on left 7 leaf on right." Did they really use different left and right in a 71 Cuda?

I know what you are saying about tailer fit. If I would going to do some road racing or really serious driveing of this car I think I would do something like the XV kit with the Hotchkis upper arms. But truth is that this will mainly be a driver / cruiser to go to car shows and up town. So the $800 saved on suspension I can try and buy the other 100's of parts I have yet to find......so I think I am going to give the PST a try, just have to figure out the rear springs that I need.
1971 Hemi Cuda

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011 - 06:47:51 PM »
I did a lot of price comparisons before I settled on the Hotchkis stuff.  When you throw in all the extra hardware in the rear spring kit, the prices were not as high as they first seemed.  I did not go with the Hotchkis uppers as I found a set of aftermarket quite a bit cheaper than list and had installed them prior., Got the rear springs, swaybars, struts, sway bar brackets, etc. from Hotchkis.  Ordered thru Matt's Classic as mentioned by Brad for a nice discount

I bought tie rods, lower ball joints, etc. from Moog thru Rock Auto.

For the small price premium over the normal kits, I felt it was worth it in order to get parts that were designed to work together.

I need to finish the front end and order the Bilsteins from Hotchkis

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011 - 10:43:47 AM »
Yes, 6 pak and hemi spring packs are what is called the XHD, bias design, which adds the extra leaf on the passenger side to compensate for engine torque. On B bodies it is an extra half leaf. On E bodies it was an extra leaf facing forward on the passenger side and backwards on the driver's side.

I agree if you aren't dialing in your car to the gnats behind, the PST parts will work just fine.