Author Topic: AC Vacuum Lines and Connectors  (Read 4003 times)

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
AC Vacuum Lines and Connectors
« on: March 05, 2011 - 11:29:05 PM »
I'm getting the fiberglass repairs done on my AC box and am looking at the vacuum lines and connector that came off. Below is a picture of the dash AC control panel and the vacuum line connector. Notice the difference. The box I got this part from is clearly an E-body box but may be a different year than the 70 control panel. Is this true? Can I get the connector for my control panel or do the lines connect directly?

Offline Slotts

Re: AC Vacuum Lines and Connectors
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011 - 11:02:55 AM »
The vacuum line harness in your picture connects to a 71 - 74 B a/c control panel. There was only one type of vacuum harness used for the E body cars that mates to the a/c control panel. The metal clip locked the socket into place.

Slotts

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011 - 12:42:23 AM »
That's interesting. The box I took it from was an e-body box. Possibly different for MY 70? I found I do have a connector that is correct that I pulled off of a 70 convertible (C Body?) of some kind at the local pick-n-pull. It looks the same as the one in your picture but the lines don't seem to detach. Are they permanently connected? I was thinking of replacing all the lines.

Yours looks new. Where did you get it?

Thanks again

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011 - 03:45:50 PM »
Was looking at the AC vacuum line kit from RPS and there are two different ones for the Challenger. One is 7 ribs and the other is 9 ribs. Which one is correct? What is the difference? The picture doesn't show the end connector very well and it doesn't look like there is the metal clips to hold it on. Any thoughts?

http://restorationpartssource.com/store/product36486.html

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011 - 12:43:05 AM »
An update. I ordered the vacuum lines from restoration parts source and found that the manufacturer doesn't actually sell a vacuum kit for a 70 Challenger. So I thought I'd use the connector I got from a C body to see if everything works and then extend the lines where needed. What I found was that the connector has 5 lines attached. 1-source and 4 others to connect to the heater box. My service manual shows that there should be 1 source and 5 lines.

Anyone have the right connector? Once I get the correct one, I was thinking of hooking up my vacuum pump (for bleeding brakes) and testing the switch to make sure all the doors move correctly and the lines are connected right before I install the box.

Where can I get the right part?

Thoughts?

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011 - 01:03:34 AM »
Bump. Any idea where I could get one? Used?

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011 - 03:31:24 PM »
 :popcorn:

Opportunity to learn something here.
I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011 - 11:12:53 PM »
Does anyone have a part number for the Challenger vacuum harness? That or the crossover numbers if the harness was used on other models. This picture is the harness that I have. From the service manual, it looks like there is only 1 line that is sealed off but my harness has 2 lines sealed.

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011 - 12:42:14 AM »
Went out to the barn and took these pics for ya----- Mine has 1 sealed off and a little bulb on another. I couldn't find a part # on it.

Hear's a link to a supplier    http://restorationpartssource.com/store/product36486.html
maybe they can help you out.

Let me know what you find out ---- I'll be there at some point.
Good luck
Todd

Edit---- I see you found the supplier
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011 - 12:47:51 AM by plumbcrazy »

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011 - 01:11:42 AM »
Hey, cool. Thanks for doing that for me. That's the one that I need. I believe the little bulb is a vacuum reducer and I guess I'd need that too.

As for the link, I've already been to them and they don't actually carry the correct part. They sent me a vacuum advance line and then looked it up and their supplier doesn't actually make the correct part for a 70 Challenger. I just found another vendor that may so I've contacted them to verify.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/factory-replacement-parts/vacuum-parts-c-2_10000_10028.html?Make=Dodge&Model=Challenger&Year=1970

I'll update if they have the right part.

Thanks again.

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011 - 12:41:24 AM »
It seems Old Air Products has a connector that you add vacuum lines to which seems correct though they don't have any pictures. This is per their emails. What I think is ridiculous is that they're charging $17 shipping for a part that's probably half the size of a roll of quarters and weighs less. This seems like gouging.

Oh well.

Offline Todd Smith

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011 - 11:35:18 AM »
Sounds like shopping at EPAY  But at least there you get a pic :puke:
Post some pics and let us know how (if) it works.

Good luck