Author Topic: Using the rear window defroster switch to operate electric cutout  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Cruzin

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I'm not using my rear window defroster.  In lieu of installing a dedicated switch, can the existing rear window defroster toggle switch be used to operate the opening and the closing of the cutouts?   If so, how should the switch be wired?   This is located on the Rallye Dash near the headlight switch.  I believe the toggle switch consists of three positions; off, low and high.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Using the rear window defroster switch to operate electric cutout
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011 - 08:49:11 PM »
I'm not using my rear window defroster.  In lieu of installing a dedicated switch, can the existing rear window defroster toggle switch be used to operate the opening and the closing of the cutouts?   If so, how should the switch be wired?   This is located on the Rallye Dash near the headlight switch.  I believe the toggle switch consists of three positions; off, low and high.

You could use the low position to open it and the high position to close it or vice-versa but it could burn out the motor if left in that position unless those cut outs have a limit switch.  I've never installed them so I don't know if they do.

It would be better if you had a spring loaded 3 position switch there like the convertible center-off switch.  What kind of switch comes with the cut outs?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Cruzin

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011 - 09:17:52 PM »
I did not get a switch with the kit however, it appears you just use a standard on-off style switch.

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011 - 10:42:05 PM »
I agree with ShelbyDogg.  The convertible switch or something similar with the ON-OFF-ON design would be perfect for this.  The rear defrost could be mickey moused into doing what you want but think about it.  You'll have Off-Open-Close.  And if you're not fast the motors could stay on and cause damage.  Plus you'll have to pass through one function to get to the other.  The convertible switch makes much more sense.  Up is open and down is closed middle is off.  (or vice versa users choice) I don't know what factory convertible switches are going for these days, but I know there are similar switches out there somewhere.
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011 - 11:29:31 PM »
I did not get a switch with the kit however, it appears you just use a standard on-off style switch.

If you use a standard on/off switch then the cut-outs use limit switches to kill the power when all the way open or closed. You would then be able to use the defroster switch then.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline Cruzin

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011 - 07:10:36 PM »
Sounds like I'm just better off justi using a standard on-off switch and forget about using the defroster switch......

Thanks.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011 - 12:32:22 AM »
Sounds like I'm just better off justi using a standard on-off switch and forget about using the defroster switch......

Thanks.

The defroster switch is like a standard switch. Just use 2 of the contacts to control the cut outs
Rob