Author Topic: Collapsible Spare  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
Collapsible Spare
« on: March 07, 2011 - 09:28:13 PM »
Still restoring my Challenger.  Located the spare today and discovered it is a collapsible wheel (5.5 x 14) with a regular tire (f 78 x 14).  What size and type of tire is supposed to be on it and is there a source for the tire and can. I searched on the site and could find nothing.  Apparently the correct nomenclature is "space saver tire" Thanks, PK
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011 - 10:05:58 PM by Skunkworks Challenger »
The Brewmaster

Offline JH27N0B

Re: Collapsible Spare
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011 - 11:42:25 PM »
The correct tire is a BF Goodrich F78x14 space saver spare tire.  Early cars had spares that said 7.75-14, most said F78-14 replaces 7.75-14. They also say "V1" on the sidewall.  I just spent a couple months trying to track one down, and the one I got is a little deteriorated on one side but should look OK in my trunk with the good side up!
They turn up on ebay fairly often, we are fortunate the same tire was also used on Ford and AMC spares back in the day.  Most I saw turn up on ebay were mounted on Ford wheels and didn't go cheap.  In fact whatever I bid someone always bid higher!  That is why I eventually settled on one that was OK but not perfect.
GMs used a G78x14 compact spare, make sure you don't buy one of those by accident! 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011 - 11:44:55 PM by JH27N0B »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011 - 11:06:32 AM »
Where can you buy a replacement? 

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011 - 02:21:49 PM »
Where can you buy a replacement?
As I mentioned, I spent a couple months trying to track one down after I found a wheel back in December.  I ran wanted ads here and on Moparts with no success, the only ones I found for sale were on ebay.  Most were mounted on Ford wheels but some were just the tires. 
If anyone has a stash of nice BF goodrich F78-14 space saver tires for sale, I'd be interested in one, to use instead of the so-so one I bought off ebay recently.