Author Topic: Earhquake in Japan- tsunami heading towards west coast of North America  (Read 6657 times)

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
Re: Earhquake in Japan- tsunami heading towards west coast of North America
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011 - 05:49:17 PM »
Yes it does hopefully they can cool those rods down before things get worse.
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011 - 08:55:59 AM »
Last I had heard was that it appears a melt down is in progress, they were pumping sea water on the reactor in an attempt to cool it from the outside inward. A nuke expert said it probably won't work and it was a desperation shot to improve the situation. Sounds like some sad serious results may be furthering Japans tragedy.

Also, some guy was swept out from a rip tide wave in California, the guy was down on the beach taking pictures of the wave comming in to shore. Not too smart, last I knew those cameras have zoom lense features, probably never find his body. Some serious damage to the Hw. Is. and Ca. coast, but thankfully just the one life lost and it was because of not using logical sense.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011 - 09:16:41 AM »
i herd like 10k people died and alot of others lost their homes my prayers are with them

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011 - 09:35:48 AM »
A 6th reactor in emergency state , may be another explosion from hydrogen / Oxy gas mix after water was briefly stopped, putting boric acid in the mix to minimize radiation ,this is truly sad and I think from what I have seen of the damage and video ,... 10,000 is a low ball number. My prayers and wishes to the children and families affected by this unexpected trajedy. They will bounce back but it will take years.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011 - 09:23:57 PM »
I'm to the point that I don't turn on the TV as it just depresses me to see it all. It's  all so overwealming? :(
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011 - 10:09:30 PM »
I'm to the point that I don't turn on the TV as it just depresses me to see it all. It's  all so overwealming? :(

:iagree:  Me too.  I want to keep up with what's happening but very heart wrenching, seeing all the destruction and lives destroyed.

Some news cameras were cautioned where they filmed because there were dead bodies mixed in with the debris.  :(

It was sad to see a little kid getting a geiger counter held up to him to check for radiation.  :(  Imagine the potential for birth defects after this if the radiation spreads.  Hope they can contain it.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011 - 08:43:50 AM »
The one island of Japan just below S. Korea had a volcanic eruption yesterday, spueing lava and ash into the air......when will it end for these people? Haven't seen any footage of this but heard it across CNN yesterday afternoon. ??
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011 - 11:47:47 AM »
Rods are beginning to melt down now.   :22yikes:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011 - 05:56:38 PM »
I've seen some outrageous stuff on the net about this:  people saying the Japs deserve it for bombing Pearl harbour, or they should be used to it after Hiroshima.... etc etc.   Thank goodness for civilised forums like this.
'72 'cuda

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011 - 06:11:43 PM »
I've seen some outrageous stuff on the net about this:  people saying the Japs deserve it for bombing Pearl harbour, or they should be used to it after Hiroshima.... etc etc.   Thank goodness for civilised forums like this.
your absolutely right there are people that are just idiots and most of them were probably not even alive  when pearl harbor was even bombed ,,they haven't got a clue what it really means ,,sad really
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011 - 06:44:36 PM »
My prayers going out for the unsheltered it is getting pretty cold at night over there, and food shortages, and other countries freaking out about possible radiated goods hype, Global stock market hit , Keep washington away from the monetary printing presses, Nuke radiation Hype, the reality is that even if the rods melt and the nuclear fuel goes to the bottom of the containment chambers minimal radiation will be released outside of the containment structures. They do need to repair reactor 4 containment roof somehow if it truly has been compromised. Mercy,mercy.

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011 - 07:15:17 PM »
As a matter of principle the Japanese are a very proud people and they will not accept help unless they really need it.  They have taken the unprecedented step of accepting outside help with the humanitarian difficulties which they are facing.  I think that shows how bad it is.

In terms of technology they are world class, and if they say they can handle the reactor problems then that is good enough for me.  If they need help they will say so and we should be willing to help as much as we can.

I can see no justification (neither moral, religious nor commercial) in treating them as anything other than friends in need.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011 - 07:17:24 PM by UKcuda »
'72 'cuda

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011 - 07:19:47 PM »
 :iagree: I think they have asked for help on the reactors and we are helping not sure though thought I read a report on it. This is some of the best test of training you can get for military assisiting with search and rescue.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011 - 07:01:57 AM »
As a matter of principle the Japanese are a very proud people and they will not accept help unless they really need it.  They have taken the unprecedented step of accepting outside help with the humanitarian difficulties which they are facing.  I think that shows how bad it is.

In terms of technology they are world class, and if they say they can handle the reactor problems then that is good enough for me.  If they need help they will say so and we should be willing to help as much as we can.

I can see no justification (neither moral, religious nor commercial) in treating them as anything other than friends in need.

Good point and well said.  I was talking with my wife yesterday morning and I said to her that in a poitive way the character of those people is that you hear nor see any roiting, looting, or gang type behaviour going on during the post disaster time. Now that is very much the opposite of what we read and saw comming out of New Orleans a couple years ago, and Hatti too..........there are scumbags then there are proud characters of humanity.  Also last night they (TV) were talking about how low the volume of donations were that was comming in for relief, sadly I'm sure if you are like most during this time if you look into your bank account, billfold or purse there just isn't much to give from the general population. ??
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger