1973 Challenger Roof Skin Removal

Author Topic: 1973 Challenger Roof Skin Removal  (Read 6105 times)

Offline dilligaf

• Willcraft Technologies Ltd.
1973 Challenger Roof Skin Removal
« on: December 06, 2004 - 11:28:09 AM »
Has anyone ever removed a roof skin without destroying it?
I have found on the side drip rails there is a soft filler that I can scraper off to expose the spot welds.
What is there on the tops of the front and rear windshield, the same thing, spot welds?
And where do you cut on the sides of the roof.
I have some rust in parts of the structure under the roof skin.
I believe the only "proper" way to repair this is to get right in there, expose all under structure, and repair, then put the skin back on.
Another small problem is one spot of rust I cut out, is low, where the quarter, and roof start to meet, it looks like it was leaded at factory.
If you have cut into  the leaded part, how do you reattach a patch piece to 90% metal, and a 10% lead piece.
Dan
2 1974 'Cuda's
1 1973 Challenger

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: 1973 Challenger Roof Skin Removal
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004 - 05:11:34 PM »
You are correct,there are lots of spot welds along the drip rails and the glass channels,also the skin is stuck to the support ribs underneath.Just drill out all the spot welds and carefully separate the skin.I ground down a narrow wood chisel to fit into the drip rails.you also need to remove the lead in the rear pillar and drill the welds underneath that area.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline dilligaf

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004 - 05:32:14 PM »
I'm gonna give this a go.
What's the worst that can happen, I end up with a Convertible..LOL
Have you any pics of your project, and why did you remove the skin?
Did you have to repair structure underneath as well?
How about the lead, melt it out or what?
And then did you lead it back in, or use bondo?
Thanks,
Dan
2 1974 'Cuda's
1 1973 Challenger

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004 - 07:35:34 PM »
Keep us posted, take lots of pics, I may have to do that on the 74, not for rust but for a caved in roof. would be very interested in the step by step.
On the lead, very low heat, a little at a time keep cooling the metal around it, another guy I talked to said you can use putty, but do more welding underneath or it will crack, the 3 or 4 spots are enough with lead, but not putty!

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004 - 07:38:19 PM »
I had to replace mine after I had the shell sanblasted.I specifically told the guy not ot do the quarters and the roof but he did them anyway and warped the hell out of the roof.Instead of trying to straighten it out I found a used one and swapped it over.There are a few different spotweld cutters you can get at most auto parts/body shop supply places and then just carefully chisel the skin away from the lower layer.I don`t have any pics on the computer but I`ll see if i can dig them up for ya.Either melt or grind out the lead but use a respirator as it`s bad stuff.I use a fiberglass reinforced filler or an aluminum/plastic filler for the heavy work and skim coat with regular plastic filler to finish.
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004 - 10:26:56 PM »
I specifically told the guy not not do the quarters and the roof but he did them anyway

:stomp: :mad: :fire: :burn: :puke:

Kill, crush, destroy....Kill, crush, destroy......

Sorry

I don't think it would be a good idea to remove the whole roof just to fix some rust and put it back on
but then again I don't know how much rust we're talking about. I saw the hole that you posted on
the other thread about the subject and if your talking about more spots like that then you should just
cut them out and replace the rusty areas
my .02

Offline dilligaf

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004 - 05:37:36 PM »
This is one picture of the type of under structure damage I can see.
Obviously the top was a rust spot (fairly large), I cut that out to reveal what you see here.
Dan

[attachment deleted by admin]
2 1974 'Cuda's
1 1973 Challenger

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004 - 07:09:24 PM »
This is the only pic I have of my roof off-

If you have a lot of rust like that on your car it might be worth it to take the skin off and take care of it so it won`t rust through later on.Done carefully it won`t damage the skin and should drop right back into place.
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline camjam

• Rare-it-T
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004 - 07:18:04 PM »
We had an accident with the chally . It was rolled. We found a donor car and took the entire roof off of both cars. All that was left was the pillars. There was lots of spot welds. The roof frame was removed from the skin and sand blasted and primered before it was reinstalled. The pictures show before and after dismantling. We also had to remove the quarter.

[attachment deleted by admin]
71 Challenger R/T 383 4spd - 1 of 10 known to have been built for canada - restored
70 Charger R/T SE 440 auto - restored

Offline The Diesel Bunch

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005 - 04:14:09 PM »
Folks this is exactly what we will be needed to do to our 73!  Rust has taken over the roof along the gutter, along the windshield and also the rear glass.   All the spot welds will be drilled out by the owner of the Challenger..my 15 year old son.  I will expose all the spot welds and supply the tools to do it but then its his turn.  Once the welds are out..then I will take over and complete the removal.
 Right now I plan on using some of that Eastwood rust encapsulation to seal off the rust...There product is suppose to be better that POR15...I was really concerned about removing the skin but after seeing these pictures .....lets Get R Done :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Rick and Rickey Jr

Offline paintshop101

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005 - 07:35:21 AM »
Roof skin removal is a relatively simple process and nothing to be afraid of if you have basic tools and skills... The previous replies to this topic are accurate... remove the sealer on the drip rails, melt out the lead (a propane torch available at hardware stores sold to solder pipe works perfectly well...) drill out all the spots and lift if off. You're not getting into the structure beneath, so you're maintaining the integrity of the top. Clean up the exposed structure, drop on the new skin which should have been removed the same way and weld thru the holes that were drilled. I've repaired dozens of seams at the c-pillar with filler over the years with never a problem... just make very sure all the rust is gone first! A couple final notes... challenger and cuda tops do not interchange... and the big seam on the c-pillar is probably the most difficult part of the car to finish back to smooth, curved perfection. Be patient, prime, guidecoat and sand several times once the filler is in to make sure you end up with a flawless, invisible seam. Seriously, this is a simple task that you need not fear.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005 - 08:55:38 AM »
Wow that was all some great advise!!  I learned something there!   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005 - 01:37:31 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline The Diesel Bunch

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005 - 10:34:08 AM »
4cruzin

If you want to see some of paintshop101's work...drop by his website...  www.paintshop101.com.    I know his work....you know as a matter of fact I have know Steve for nearly 25 years!   What he says...you can take it to the bank!

Rick

Offline Doomed

• So close...to actually finishing my 'Cuda!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005 - 07:22:54 PM »
Great website, with good insight!!!

Kyle.
"Life gets in the way of Living"

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005 - 11:00:26 PM »
This is good.  I had a roof (skin only don't be fooled into cutting the pillars off) put on my 70 Cuda due to the typical vinyl rust catching top and am planning on having the same done on my 70 Challenger and already have the donor roof.

Drill out the spot welds (special bits are available at eastwood) and swap it over.

Yeah, I've been burned by blasters too and will only blast floors frames, firewalls and engine compartments, no body panels.