Author Topic: starter problem.. PLEASE HELP  (Read 3250 times)

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
Re: starter problem.. PLEASE HELP
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011 - 07:22:33 PM »
If you give the solenoid a good ground and then turn the key, the starter turns over, right? (that's the way I'm reading it?) That will rule out the ignition switch. To prove out the wiring to the nss switch you can ground the centre connection of the nss plug. Stick a stiff wire into the centre connection of the connector and clamp the other end to body ground. Then (make SURE the car is in park though) turn the key and see if the starter turns. If it does, the problem is what Hood last suggested and the switch isn't engaging correctly in park. If it doesn't turn over, there is a wiring problem. Try it and see which problem you have.  :popcorn:
:iagree: even if its new doesnt mean it is good ,,rule this out first
also check the  ignition switch connector at the base of the column, Make sure the connections are not fried or broken, The crank and run circuit runs though that connection
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011 - 07:37:43 PM by 72rtchallenger »
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011 - 12:49:47 AM »
have you tried to start your car in "neutral" instead of "Park"?  my switch acts up from time to time causing a no-crank issue from park, but slipping the trans into neutral gets the job done.  good luck.

I have to do the same thing sometime.  I had to cut my shift arm for the headers and it has never quite been "right".  Still works, just have to use neutral to start the car most of the time.
Jason

Offline Phlorez

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011 - 04:00:19 PM »
Dodj, I love you in a very manly way. That's the problem. I have adjustage the linkage several times and still nothing. Not even in neutral. What now? Would it be resolved by fixing/replacing the shifter assembly or is it transmission problem?

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011 - 08:57:11 PM »
Well, you are down to three possibilities. Improper(or worn) linkage adjustment, bad or incorrect nss switch, or the part in your tranny that activates the switch - I think tactrans (Terry) called it a VB-1. IMO, HIGHLY unlikely to be the transmision's internal part. Terry, feel free to correct me though.... I think it is going to be linkage adjustment or nss. To first take the linkage adjustment out of the equation, I would disconnect the linkage rod at the trans and put the trans in park with your hand - lever all the way to the rear I believe. (put the connector back on the switch) Then see if it will turn over. If it does, then you need to examine/adjust/repair your linkage until it engages park properly. If it doesn't turn over, I would suggest your new nss is faulty or installed incorrectly. With an ohmmeter, you should read zero ohms from centre pin to the small round steel ball on the other side of the switch.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.