Author Topic: dash and console overlay  (Read 1862 times)

Offline 7samurai

dash and console overlay
« on: March 15, 2011 - 07:24:06 PM »
I am thinking of replacing the woodgrain dash and console overlay with one of the new "carbon fiber" style overlays ('71 cuda).  Has anyone tried this and how much cussin' did you do? I have the dash apart as I am replacing the dash harness. I had the interior redone and I redyed the doorpanels white. I think the black overlays would look nice with a grant "tuff wheel" and the white interior. any feedback would be great. 

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: dash and console overlay
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011 - 07:53:47 PM »
I did mine and it turned out pretty good.  The 1 area that I'm not 100% satisfied with is the 3 small indicator openings across the top.  The CF overlay is so stiff it didn't want to fold over and lay down as well as I would have liked.  Most people wouldn't notice, but after spending so much time on it, it just bugs me a little.  Overall , definitely a nice upgrade, I didn't like the old fashioned look of the woodgrain.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011 - 08:51:08 PM »
Did mine with the same stuff as Katfish used - DMT. Not hard to install at all - no cussin'. Much better than woodgrain IMO.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 383 six pack

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011 - 08:30:08 PM »
here did you get the cf overlays it looks good

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011 - 04:43:58 PM »
i just sanded down the inlay (the woodgrain is paint) and painted mine black!

Maybe a little cursing, but worth it.

The centre console is a little more work because the woodgrain is a sticker, but can be done.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011 - 04:46:49 PM by CUDA JAS »
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Cuda54

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011 - 12:48:24 AM »
Cuda Jas I like the way silver looks around the gauges. Did you remove the metal over lay or is that what you painted? Looks good thou.

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011 - 01:18:31 AM »
How about a pic of the console?
Jason

Offline 7samurai

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011 - 02:47:06 PM »
Katfish,
Your info was a big help.  The console was easy to do. heatgun took off old overlay rather easily.  But my guage and switch bezel had been redone by someone and it was a mess getting the overlay off. It looks like you used the original lettering on yours.  Did you cut around the stamped lettering?  My lettering is messed up and I am not sure if I want to put the overlay over the raised lettering.  I want to use the labels that came with the overlays, but I am skittish about screwing this up.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011 - 07:27:46 PM »
I actually used the stickers provided with the CF kit.  They look pretty good, only up close can you tell.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011 - 09:29:42 PM »
I actually used the stickers provided with the CF kit.  They look pretty good, only up close can you tell.
:iagree: And careful use of a heat gun will get everything laying down nice and tight.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011 - 10:12:03 PM »
How about a pic of the console?

Here is an in progress shot.

I will take some more later this week and post them.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011 - 10:25:39 PM »
Cuda Jas I like the way silver looks around the gauges. Did you remove the metal over lay or is that what you painted? Looks good thou.

Well, I removed the metal overlay form the plastic gauge housing (it is held on with metal tabs through the plastic).  I then stripped all of the paint off of the metal and repainted it. 

The shiny sections are the sections that I did not re-paint.  The silver around the guages is origionaly brown paint.  When I striped the paint and found the metal in good shape, I liked the way it looked so I left it. 

I thought about polishing it to a miror like finish, but in the end, I very carefully scufffed it with a red scuff pad to a uniform finsh.  I was trying to get a brushed / machined looking finish. I really liek the way it turned out..it just does not show that well in pictures.

Jason

74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!