Author Topic: Custom seat pictures/idea's needed !  (Read 39891 times)

Offline CID440

Re: Custom seat pictures/idea's needed !
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011 - 05:03:27 PM »
You may be able to find them in black leather so upholstery can wait.  If you need any more info lemme know ;)

Offline the yam

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011 - 08:41:39 PM »
For those of you with custom seats, how did you mount them? Did you use a universal kit like from Summit or did you need some custom fab welded in?

Don't mean to hijack - Ive been thinking of doing a manual conversion which I am sure would mean doing away with the front bench.

:popcorn:  Awesome thread!
70 Challenger 440

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011 - 09:08:19 PM »
For those of you with custom seats, how did you mount them? Did you use a universal kit like from Summit or did you need some custom fab welded in?

Don't mean to hijack - Ive been thinking of doing a manual conversion which I am sure would mean doing away with the front bench.

I've always had to cut and weld to make it work. Couldn't tell you if there is a "kit" that will work. I'm to cheap and I always have the welder. :smilielol:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline CID440

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011 - 09:29:32 PM »
Pretty simple really,  I'm with Brad on this by doing it myself.      Didn't even bother looking for a kit.   I got a set of stock cuda slider brackets for less than $100.00, removed all the cuda slider mechanism's just leaving the base bracket,  got some 3/16 steel plate,  removed the mounting tabs off the seats I put in,  welded flat steel plates to the existing celica seat sliders, measured my stock cuda seat base's and studs (they are still intact btw)  and welded the cuda mount brackets to the plates.   

Done deal!

Closer look you can see the weld joint, the rear plate and the celica seat slider.

and eleven cents Lol

Offline the yam

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011 - 04:52:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. I suppose I could pick up a second set of slider brackets if I ever wanted to put the bench back in.
70 Challenger 440

Offline merlin969

• North Carolina
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011 - 03:08:18 PM »
This is what I put in my car.

Those look awesome.
1972 Challenger, Nothing special. Just mine.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011 - 12:54:23 PM »

The Jegs GS-1's came with sliders. On a Challenger the outboard mounting locations are 1 5/8" higher than the inboard locations. So basically all you have to do is make/fabricate a 1 5/8" spacer for the inboard seat slider to sit on. I used a 14" long piece of box tube and fastened it to the floor using the existing seat mounting hole. Then mounted the seat to the box tube.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2011 - 01:11:30 PM »
For those of you with the Procar, or similar, seats from Summit, Jegs, etc that are on the lower end of the price scale for custom seats, How do they sit, feel, etc?
Love the comfort and added support of mine. When hard cornering, the seat holds you in place rather than you holding yourself in place with the steering wheel. My wife thinks they are more comfortable too.

my stock 71 cuda seats allow me just barely enough room to squeeze my right leg under my rimblow steering wheel when I get in, and I'm only 5'9" and 200 lbs.
I cant imagine any of these seats that have a high bolster for your thighs would give me any room under the wheel. My legs would have to straddle the steering wheel while driving.

The side bolster does make getting in and out a little more difficult but not much. I'm 5'11" and 180lbs and have no interference issues.
Maybe the 2" hieght difference is all in your legs so you need the seat closer to the wheel?  :bigsmile:
Actually, if the stock seat just barely gives you enough clearance, the seats I have probably wouldn't work well for you.

Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2011 - 06:08:48 PM »
Love the comfort and added support of mine. When hard cornering, the seat holds you in place rather than you holding yourself in place with the steering wheel. My wife thinks they are more comfortable too.

The side bolster does make getting in and out a little more difficult but not much. I'm 5'11" and 180lbs and have no interference issues.
Maybe the 2" hieght difference is all in your legs so you need the seat closer to the wheel?  :bigsmile:
Actually, if the stock seat just barely gives you enough clearance, the seats I have probably wouldn't work well for you.

What about a smaller steering wheel? :dunno:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline challngd73

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2011 - 03:15:00 PM »
What about a smaller steering wheel? :dunno:

I think any little bit helps... I got a "D" shaped steering wheel from Flaming River.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2011 - 10:47:56 PM »
I LOVE MY RIMBLOW.
Just wish it were an inch or two smaller, and a little thicker rim, which sounds like I'm describing a tuffwheel!
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012 - 08:29:02 AM »
These aren't mine.  Just posting to keep the ideas flowing.

Travis
72 Cuda

Has anyone figured out what these seats are?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012 - 08:32:30 AM by aris_unlimited »
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline Gumby

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012 - 09:33:12 PM »
Early BMW e30 seats (made by Recaro) are cool as well. Ebay has a bunch of them.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2012 - 05:58:06 AM »
I have heated Corbeau A4 seats in black microfiber with double locking sliders that have been dropped (and the floorpan has been "flattened" also) to give me maximum headroom. With my rollcage, I wanted to make sure there would be no ergonomic problems. Sorry, I don't have pictures yet, I'll try to get some on when I can.
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels

Offline Fastd

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2012 - 10:46:54 PM »
I have heated Corbeau A4 seats in black microfiber with double locking sliders that have been dropped (and the floorpan has been "flattened" also) to give me maximum headroom. With my rollcage, I wanted to make sure there would be no ergonomic problems. Sorry, I don't have pictures yet, I'll try to get some on when I can.
I would like to see pictures as I will probaly have to have my fllor pan modified as I am 6'4" and I have headroom issues as well. I want to use the Srt style seats in my Chally.
Todd

1970 Dodge Challenger (pro-touring build)
1999 Dodge Durango
2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi (Wifes)