Author Topic: Argent Silver?  (Read 16807 times)

Offline jforest1

Argent Silver?
« on: April 07, 2011 - 02:55:19 PM »
I've got a '73 Cuda that I'm trying to figure out what color is on it.  Original colors for '73 included Light Argent Silver, which I suspect is the same as this (somebody else's):

Mine is darker.  Did they also have a dark argent silver in '73?

Does this paint:
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?pid=SR121&c=0&e=0&hid=120DU15502&cat=1&trk=

The same as this (mine):

?

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
Re: Argent Silver?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011 - 09:51:30 PM »
Nice 73 like the 70 bumpers look . That black vinyl top sets off the color..............
Your silver paint looks like a 68 to 69 charger silver..
Check this out for chrysler colors. 

click here >>>  http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1973/23-01-73C%20page2.jpg
The dark argent texture is just for wheel center caps, shaker bubble, and rear panel on challengers.
that is not a body paint...........

Scroll down to paint chip charts  ...go to each year listed to see different colors...click here >>>  http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

I take it u purchased it this way, it may be a new car color.  If u know the seller he can update u on the color.

AARuFAST
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011 - 09:59:03 PM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011 - 09:05:56 PM »
I totally missed this post for some reason....so did Bullitt.

The color code for your car should be JA5.  I believe Plymouth called it Silver Frost Metallic.  Dodge just called the color Dark Silver Metallic.  It is a one year only color.  The paint code should be on  the fender tag and the broadcast sheet if you have it.

Argent doesn't refer to accual body color.  Argent is the heavily textured paint that was used on the Cuda grills and Challenger tail panels. 

My Challenger as well as Bullitt's car are painted JA5.  It's really a great color.  I don't think I have ever seen a Cuda painted that color in person.  I accually found a broadcast sheet for a 340 4-speed Cuda that was painted JA5 under my back seat.         

Offline jforest1

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011 - 10:52:39 AM »
The color code for your car should be JA5.  I believe Plymouth called it Silver Frost Metallic.  Dodge just called the color Dark Silver Metallic.  It is a one year only color.  The paint code should be on  the fender tag and the broadcast sheet if you have it.

Hmm...I'm seeing an A5 Silver Metallic here:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1973/23-01-73C%20page2.jpg

And an A5 Silver Frost Poly here:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/_1973PaintChipCharts-01.shtml?load_img=3

What does the J refer to?

Also, perhaps I got a bit ahead of myself...I'm looking to touch up my body paint.  My approach is:
1.  identify the paint on it (thanks for the leads--looks like I can look at tag/sheet to see what I can find, then I'll refer to the code to find the sheet on hamtramck, then perhaps ask again here for confirmation for those that have seen the color with their own eyes).

2.  then i get the paint.  where/how does one get these old colors?  can people mix them based on the old codes or is there some other process?

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011 - 11:10:42 AM »
One of your links is of the Dodge color chart and the other link is to the Plymouth color chart.  Dodge and Plymouth called their colors different names BUT the colors were accually the same.  A5 is the paint color.  The letter infront(J in this case) is the year that the color was first available.
F= 1970
G=1971
H=1972
J=1973....they skipped I because it looks like a 1(just guessing)

You can go to any automotive paint supply store and they can mix you the correct paint.  Just tell them A5 and they can mix that color.  Since you want to touch up your existing paint, you'll want them to color match what you already have.  They should be able to do that no problem.

I had a local store mix me up some touch-up paint as well as some body color in a spray can.  The color is a perfect match.  The only difference is that the spray can paint has a heavier metal flake in it.  I've used it on the underside of the car so you can't see the differance in the matal flake.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011 - 11:13:33 AM by burdar »

Offline jforest1

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011 - 04:31:12 PM »
Thanks for your help on this--it's all new to me.  Now that I'm heading in the right direction, I guess its time for me to start reading about automotive painting.

JF

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011 - 11:22:17 PM »
Jforest1
u can get started on this website
lot of info

click here>>>>>  http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=23

Gran Coupe Convertible

////////////  CUDA AAR
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline jforest1

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012 - 11:35:52 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'll be polling out for quotes pretty soon.  Though it'll probably be another year or so before I've got the coin to see it through given the prices/time it takes to do it right mentioned on the forums here.

JF