Author Topic: whats needed to switch to an electrical oil pressure gauge from mechanical?  (Read 614 times)

Offline challngd73

Just as she reads, I got all new gauges and opted to not run an oil line into my car.  thanks..

NC RMP

An electrical gauge reads the difference in resistance from a sending unit that screws into the engine block to determine the pressure where a manual gauge actually senses the pressure thru a tube.  Old school people like me like the manual gauge because it is more reliable.

I am assuming you are not using the Rallye dash standard Oil Gauge which is electrical.  THat one works the same way but the wiring is more complex than an aftermarket gauge that just needs 12V and a sending unit feed.

I run a manual gauge AND the Rally dash gauge.  The one thing that more than any tells you the health of your engine is the oil pressure and you don't want to miss a low oil pressure event because of a bad gauge.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Just need the gauge, sending unit and an adaptor to fit the sender into the block. Run the wiring to a keyed power source and your done.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline challngd73

Good info, thanks guys.