Author Topic: Price variances: 'Cuda vs Challenger  (Read 2107 times)

Offline The Bronx Bull

Price variances: 'Cuda vs Challenger
« on: April 24, 2011 - 04:15:46 PM »
Hey guys, I posted a few months ago in the intros section -  :newbie:

Now I've got a few general questions. Firstly, is there any variance in price between two similar condition cars, one being a 'Cuda, the other a Challenger? It seems to me like the Plymouth's go for a little more - I just want to someone to confirm or denounce this.

Secondly, I'm really trying to find a place to start within the next year. My intentions are NOT to have a showcar/numbers matching/museum piece, but rather to have a real clean looking example, drivable, and able to be wrenched on. A full restoration is not necessary, but body rust is a no-no. What I'll most likely end up looking for is an original 318 car that has been cloned in the R/T, AAR, T/A, or something similar. 4-speed is preferable - but I've also heard they add quite a bit to the price, so that may deter me from the manual tranny.

Alas, what would about $10,000 in the 'Cuda/Challenger realm bring?

What about $15,000?

And $20,000?

I really need to get a feel for the prices I'll be looking at, in conjunction with the condition of the vehicle I choose to buy. At 22 years of age (albeit, with a real job), I also like to offset the cost of such a purely recreational purchase with the justification: "Well, a lot of people my age are getting married, spending big bucks on the ceremony and subsequently, kids. A lot of other people like to take cruises, go on vacation, and go to fancy restaurants. I do none of these, and don't plan on it for quite some time, so I want a 'Cuda or Challenger!"  :grinyes: Anyone else do this? The problem is I already own a daily driver, a modern muscle example, and a sport bike. One can never have enough vehicles, I suppose.  :roflsmiley:

Thanks in advance, gentleman. 
Feel free to share your thoughts on my soon-to-be integration into old school muscle... :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011 - 05:17:47 PM by The Bronx Bull »

Offline Steve/Bryce

Re: Price variances: 'Cuda vs Challenger
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011 - 10:19:47 PM »
We bought a '71 Challenger for $5k but put about $18K into it.  New floors  New seat covers, 408 crate motor new 833 and clutch  New floors and rear patch panels.  New paint.  From Dark bronze with primer over it to 1970 Sublime green. 

Things keep needing money.  the underhood wiring harness fried the other day.

Just goes to show you, we could have spent 23 on a semi restored one but it was fun to do the work and have it the way we wanted.

Let me say this first.   :useless:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011 - 10:57:24 PM »
As far as pricing is concerned, the major cost differences lie within the year & particular trim package.  '72-'74 'Cudas & Challengers seem to be the most feasible option to enter into the E-body platform with if you're trying to be cost conscious & if you don't really care if the car originally came with a big block or not (they're all easy enough to drop whatever size engine you want between the rails).  The '70 & '71 model years do bring higher price tags due to a higher demand for them, since some people prefer to have the original factory big block cars or simply like the looks of the earlier models.

As for your price regions, I would say at $15,000 you could expect to have a nicely finished '72-'74 that may require just some fine tuning here & there.  Now if you just had to have either of the earlier year models, then I would say you would probably end up with a presentable '70-'71 Challenger that would need a fair share of work to make even better or a drivable '70 'Cuda that would again need more work to make clean/nice.

I happened to like the look of the later model Challengers (even if I would have loved either a '70 or '71 R/T), but it just happened to fall into my lap one day & I figured any E-body would be a blast to own & fix up. :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline The Bronx Bull

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011 - 12:05:29 AM »

As for your price regions, I would say at $15,000 you could expect to have a nicely finished '72-'74 that may require just some fine tuning here & there.  Now if you just had to have either of the earlier year models, then I would say you would probably end up with a presentable '70-'71 Challenger that would need a fair share of work to make even better or a drivable '70 'Cuda that would again need more work to make clean/nice.

Now this is what I like to hear.  :jumping:

That said, it's been fairly uncommon to see some nice examples for 15K since I've been browsing eBay. I'm really going to keep my eye out though.. how do you guys go about finding cars that are local to look at? So in your experiences, the 'Cudas are generally on par with the Challenger's when it comes to price - and comparable years?

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011 - 05:44:37 AM »
Perhaps you may need to widen your search, go to car shows, talk to as many people as possible. It does make it easier if you narrow down what you are searching for so you can get a better idea of how the prices go. There are a few MOPAR & E body boards, check through their for sale sections. I found my Challenger on the internet by just searching and then following up when I came to America. Have a look at Texas Toy Box, they seem to have a few Cudas & Challengers at the moment, I didn't buy from them. happy hunting.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011 - 05:45:50 AM »
I have about 10k into getting mine.  It's a 318 driver all original except for the intake,  4bbl, repaint, and a few other small things.  I have probably 2-3k in getting it running and  a few upgrades like the 8.75 sure grip, R/T hood, wheel mouldings.     Anyway, it's a driver but needs another $8-10k to get it where I want it with the new motor, transmission, seats and carpets. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011 - 05:53:14 AM by tonefiend »

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011 - 06:30:49 AM »
Yes, cudas always seem to go for more than Challengers.

My car is currently for sale. (The one below in my signature). I'm asking $18K, but would offer a good discount to a member of this forum. See the "Cars For Sale" section for details.

Yes, ebay is a tough place to get a real feel for the market.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011 - 07:52:51 AM »
I think your location, how much you want to do, or not do all come into play.

Going to share my story although its a little off topic I suppose.

I live in the Pgh, PA area....I was looking for a car for about 9 months or so......I was hoping to spend no more than $7k on a driver...something that ran good, had a decent body and paint and just needed TLC.

I figured I should be able to find a nice old mopar for that.

Problem is, for that price, I wasnt finding much.

Everyone thought their Duster with a new coat of paint over bad body work and/or with a (noisy) slant 6 engine was worth at least that.   I was finding mostly what I would have considered to be $3,000 cars.  More body filler than body metal.  I had stopped looking for an ebody because everything under $10k was either a rust bucket or a scam....that is 72-74 as well as the 70-71.

Well I had given up looking for the most part....spent a lot of money and time driving a couple hundred miles each trip to look at cars......I told my wife "Honey, dont bother showing me any more cars if they are more than 50 miles away...I am tired of wasting my money and time."

Like a good wife, she knew better and ignored me....

Found me a 72 Barracuda 318 car. Turns out it was minutes from a relative's house and they did some leg work for me.

Well, it wasnt running.....but had what was supposed to be a recently rebuilt 318 in it....no tranny, radiator, alternator, battery tray, exhaust,  or battery.....basically, it had brakes (drum all around) and the engine sitting under the hood.  Turns out later that the 318 has J heads, double roller timing chain, milodon oil pan, eddy performer intake and 750 eddy carb, and a cam (not sure what though) that runs great! SO my 'pig in a poke' turned out ok!

The interior needed redone but most all of the pieces were there. Dah was cracked baaaaaaad but a cover has cured that for now.

What made me fall in love with the car is that it was all original sheetmetal except the trunk center floor and had a new coat of Limelight on it and a new vinyl roof.

The guy wanted $9500 for it and I gladly paid that.  After I bough the car and the title was mine, I went to get the trailer...when I came back, the guy told me another buyer showed up and offered hime another $1,000 to sell it to him instead.....  :clapping:....I felt like I finally won one.  LOL

Within 3 months we had it put together enough to drive it a little. And the smile on my face hasnt gone away yet, even with the ups and downs of issues I have had.  The folks here have been so much help in making my dream a reality with advice and feedback.

Now....Some will say I got screwed price wise.

Well, I guess its all in the eye of the screwee.....  :bigsmile:  Because while I think there are better deals out there, I was tired of looking and waiting.  I have been able to do most all of the mechanical work and upgrades.  But I suck at paint/bodywork and that stuff is expensive.

So in my eyes, I got what was probably the best scenario for me.....an e-body car with a body and undercarriage that was all fresh, just ready to be put back into mechanical condition.

Over the past couple years I have done a complete front end rebuild and upgrade to a firm feel steering box, disk brakes in front and many other upgrades/tweeks.  The interior is decent but one day I hope to upgrade.  Just put a new chunk in the rear with new gears and driveshaft.

I do keep track of the numbers, and I probably have more into it than it is "worth" considering it is "just" a 318 car that I affectionately refer to as a "frankenstein car".  Proabably another $8k into her at this point give or take.

If I tried to sell her today would I get what I have into her?

I dunno. Maybe not.

But she is mine and she turns heads every where I go and selling her away is remote from my mind right now.

It's a labor of love and my hobby.

Honestly, I feel like this car has a soul and I dont regret for a minute "overspending" on it.

You will know when you see the car for you.     It will speak to you.

And that is what matters.

You just have to decide how much work you want to put into it. To me, the work to get where I am is what makes me proud of owning my fish.    :2thumbs:

Sorry for the long post!

Good luck in your search!

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011 - 09:04:11 AM »
This is what $8K got me last September originally a /6 came with a 318 auto w/console. Don`t forget sales tax on what you buy another $875 spent on for tax/title. I found it on Craigslist an hour away from me.I looked at a similar 73 Cuda same year with a 440 for $6K. Another craigslist find 30 mins from me. This is the description I had to go on. 440 auto needs motor/trany bolted in and wired up needs drive shaft interior needs to be installed minor body work $6000.00 firm. Upon closer inspection I passed on this one knowing it would cost me way more in the long run.I kept a log of cars I had seen,their description and pics for comparison purposes. I recommend doing this in your search as you increase your knowledge about these cars, it will help you get the most bang for your buck.

Second photo with the hood up is the car I passed on!

The guy wanted $9500 for it and I gladly paid that.  After I bough the car and the title was mine, I went to get the trailer...when I came back, the guy told me another buyer showed up and offered hime another $1,000 to sell it to him instead.....  :clapping:....I felt like I finally won one.  LOL

I had a similar experience buying my 72! Someone offered a grand more to buy the car out from under me as well! 

But she is mine and she turns heads every where I go and selling her away is remote from my mind right now.

It's a labor of love and my hobby.

Honestly, I feel like this car has a soul and I dont regret for a minute "overspending" on it.

You will know when you see the car for you.     It will speak to you.

And that is what matters.

You just have to decide how much work you want to put into it. To me, the work to get where I am is what makes me proud of owning my fish.   

I believe this statement as well I feel the same way about mine,though my car is not at the turning heads everywhere she goes yet!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011 - 09:06:34 AM by Barracudadan »

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011 - 09:13:47 AM »
Word of mouth seem to be the best way to get a deal on a car. That's how I got my 73 Challenger. I brought up the idea of looking for another ebody in a car club meeting. I was told of 2 cars right there on the spot. My 73 wasn't even advertised for sale. The guy had it in his garage with no time to work on it. He had a price and if it sold fine, if it didn't fine. He would just work on it when he could. I paid 3k for mine partially disassembled, but with the numbers matching 340 and a whole slew of extra parts.
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

Offline SMS

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011 - 10:18:08 AM »
I don't know if anyone else agrees with this but it seems like the lower priced projects are overpriced compared to a more put together car. I was looking for a sub 15k Cuda / Challenger for a long time and only found cars needing everything. Once I brought my budget into the 20s the cars got so much better. I would say there are a few reasons for this. One, too many people watching BJ auctions and shows like overhauling. They see the rusty shell in the yard and think it is worth way more. Two, usually when someone has restored a car and then sells it that are taking a loss, especially in this economy. I know for me the price difference between the projects and a done car is justifiable with the paint and body being done and having a solid drive train.
Good luck with your search. 

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011 - 08:13:21 PM »
Yeah, somewhat finished car in the upper teens or low 20's should get you something pretty nice now a days.  Since you want a clone, you should be able to get something pretty good.  I'd say Barracudas are priced a bit higher than a comparable Challenger.  You may get a better deal on a Challenger due to the fact there are more of them.

Tom

In a Modified Challenger You'd be able to grab something like mine for high teens low 20's in this economy, it's tough to tell where the cars are actually selling IMO.
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011 - 11:05:53 PM »
welcome to the site.
My advice is to pay your dues by researching all the usual sites such as ebay, classic trader, cudaworld, craigslist etc. Watch auctions and how they play out. Maybe even keep the links attached to a spreadsheet (like I did) if you want to go crazy. After a few months of study, you will have as good an understanding of value as most of us in here, and you'll develop a better appreciation for what you want. When you see a deal, youll recognnize it.
I agree cudas tend to be slightly more valuable than challengers, but only because there are fewer of them.
I also agree you will get more bang for your buck (value) when you purchase a car thats already had most or all of the resto work done.
If you buy a $10,000 car, you will end up spending more money on it than it will be worth, which is fine if its a work of love kind of thing, but not if you consider it more of an investment. If cost is extremely important to you (and these cars are typically sold with cash in hand, not financing!) then you should look locally so you can carefully inspect the car yourself, and save transportation costs, which can cost $500 to $1200 for a 1000-1500 mile trip. The main advantage to those cars besides cost are that you will end up living with and getting to know the car from the inside out.
The cons of buying a more expensive car are obvious, but the pros are:
- more value, let someone else take the "loss"
- you get to immediately enjoy driving it, even if it still needs some more work you can often do that while driving it.

If you look long and hard you will eventually find the car you would of made if you had done it yourself, and you will save a lot of money. Just be prepared to travel to eventually get it.
Make sure you rely on detailed pics and/or local inspections to help you out there before wasting a lot of time and travel money.
Good luck on your quest!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011 - 11:16:39 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....