Author Topic: Upper Shock Mount Bolts - What Are They?  (Read 965 times)

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
Upper Shock Mount Bolts - What Are They?
« on: May 02, 2011 - 09:14:36 PM »
I am putting new shocks on the front and rear of my 1970 Challenger, after rebuilding the suspension.  Unfortunately, I don't have the required hardware - Part of the fun of buying a car in pieces!

Can anyone tell me:
Front:  How do the shocks mount to the body?  There is a hole in the shock tower - Does something go in there, and then extend through the top bushing of the shock?

Rear:  What size bolts are used in the upper shock mounts?  (Diameter/length)?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but none of my boxes of random hardware look like the right thing!  Thanks in advance.   :thumbsup:

-Tom
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011 - 09:16:55 PM by 70_challenger »

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: Upper Shock Mount Bolts - What Are They?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011 - 10:20:32 PM »
The front upper mounting h-ware will come with the shock. A couple thick rubber/poly bushings, a couple washers and a nut.
For the rears, the upper bolt is up to you to supply. I think it is either 7/16" or 1/2" and 2 1/2" long.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011 - 10:29:50 PM »
front shock mount
install steel washer then bushing installshock into hole in inner fendnder shock hole compressed let or extend to lower control armalign hole and install bolt .

install washer /bushing as above then extend shock to lower shock mount install nut /
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011 - 10:34:05 PM »
For the front shocks the top of the shock goes through the hole in the inner fender well when you buy new shocks it should come with the necessary hardware for the top.Basically going from the top of the shock down it`s nut,washer,rubber grommet,fender well,rubber grommet ,washer. As far as the back I`ll have to look through my parts for an old nut/bolt to tell you an exact size maybe someone else will chime in with the answer. I used a couple of grade 8 nuts/bolts from the local hardware store for the upper rear just can`t remember the size off the top of my head.
If you didn`t already know this compress the shocks down then tie them with some wire to hold them in place. Once you get them in bolt the bottom and put the washer and grommet on first for the fronts then release the wire and they will expand up into place. It`s a heck of a lot easier than pushing them down by hand and fighting them. Hope this helps!

Edited to add: compress the shocks and wire them down if you cut the plastic strap before putting them in like I did  :clueless: either way works top down or bottom up. Sometimes I just gotta learn the hard way!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011 - 10:53:57 PM by Barracudadan »

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011 - 11:01:28 PM »
Thanks for the fast response, guys!

Yes, I went out and actually opened the box, and now I see the hardware for the fronts.  :-[

The rears should be OK, after a trip to the hardware store.  I appreciate the advice!

-Tom