Author Topic: headliner question  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Mopars Rule!!!!!!!! Always Have, Always Will
  • Chrysler did it best!
headliner question
« on: May 04, 2011 - 02:28:28 PM »
I feel dumb asking this, but It's been so long since I removed my headliner that I can't remember where the bows slide into on the roof. I have 5 sets of 3 holes that are in a triangular pattern that run along the edge of the inside of the roof. I can't remember if there was a clip that the end of the bow slid into or not.  :clueless: :working:

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: headliner question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011 - 02:47:06 PM »
The bows slide right into one of the three holes.  It's just trial and error to determine what hole you need to use.  I used the bottom hole on the rear two bows and the front hole on the front two bows.

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Chrysler did it best!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011 - 03:31:33 PM »
cool! Thanks. Any suggestions on headliner insulation?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011 - 08:05:38 PM »
I got my insulation from Dante's Parts.  It was the REM brand stuff.  I accually started laughing when I took it out of the package.  It's just the stuff that's inside pillows...just in a role.  I'm sure you could go to a fabric store and buy what you need a lot cheaper.

Offline bert

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011 - 09:35:49 AM »
On my 70 the bows fit into clips. Does anyone know if the bows have a litle sharp bend hook on the end or no hook at all  ?

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011 - 11:42:54 AM »
Just completed my new headliner install.  I first put down (or should I say up), Fat Mat as a sound deadner & heat deflector, then I put up a 1/2" thick material normally used for seat upholstry (just bought 10 extra feet from the guy that reupholstred my seats) and then on with the headliner.  The directions are fairly straight forward to install the headliner, except I started in the middle and pulled to the front and then pulled to the rear.  The end result looks better than new and there was no need for a heat gone, etc to stretch the liner, as I managed to get it tight all the way around.  Take your time and try to heat up the liner in the sun before you begin.
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011 - 11:58:19 PM »
Maniac, what did you use for adhesive?
Jason

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011 - 01:35:29 AM »
Maniac, what did you use for adhesive?

Jason,

3M Rubber & Vinyl 80 Spray Adhesive, 19 oz can (from Home Depot).  Apply same as contact cement by spraying the roof (FatMat in my case) and then spraying the pre cut insulation material, let them dry a few minutes and then stick the insulation up to the roof.  This product should work great when the sun gets hot on it as it is for automotive headliners. 

Be sure to cover anything you don't want the adhesive to fall on such as the dash pad, steering wheel, etc.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011 - 01:37:17 AM by challengermaniac »
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Chrysler did it best!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011 - 10:45:23 AM »
I have another headliner question. Right above the rear window I have one metal think sticking out of the roof brace that has a hook at the end of it. I am pretty sure that this is used to hook the end bow of the headliner. I'm not sure what happened to the other one. Are these necessary to use when installing the headliner? Does anyone have one of these things?

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011 - 10:49:18 AM »
There should be two.  Easy to make a new one if you have one to use as a pattern.

I have another headliner question. Right above the rear window I have one metal think sticking out of the roof brace that has a hook at the end of it. I am pretty sure that this is used to hook the end bow of the headliner. I'm not sure what happened to the other one. Are these necessary to use when installing the headliner? Does anyone have one of these things?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011 - 01:23:54 PM »
Theres two Challenger lower headliner brackets that mount on the b pillar  on Moparts right now for 30 bucks

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011 - 03:21:12 PM »
Are these necessary to use when installing the headliner?
As Cody said, you should have two. They are necessary for headliner installation. You basically hang the headliner off the four or five bows then hook the rear bow with those two wire hooks you are asking about. Then you pull the headliner foward hooking it on the 'teeth' just above the front windshield. Those rear hooks locate the bows so when you tension up the material, the bows stay in the right place.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011 - 04:03:01 PM »
As Cody said, you should have two. They are necessary for headliner installation. You basically hang the headliner off the four or five bows then hook the rear bow with those two wire hooks you are asking about. Then you pull the headliner foward hooking it on the 'teeth' just above the front windshield. Those rear hooks locate the bows so when you tension up the material, the bows stay in the right place.

This is correct HOWEVER, do not push the headliner into the gripper teeth right way.  Pull the material twards the front and clamp it in place.  Pull the sides tight and clamp them in place.  Once you have the headliner tight, THEN go back and push the material into the gripper teeth.  That should be the last step other than trimming the excess material.

The gripper teeth should hold the headliner tight but I went around the whole top and glued the edges down too.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011 - 04:05:10 PM by burdar »

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Chrysler did it best!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011 - 04:23:05 PM »
Cool! Thanks for all your help.

Offline cjm

• 70 Cuda - In Progress.....
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011 - 09:41:59 PM »
One other tip --  If you have anything that has to be srewed in (seat belts, coat hooks, etc), put the screw in (before) you put the headliner in.....  Once you are finished installing the headliner, feel for the screw with your finger and make a slice with a razor to get access to the screw....   This makes it alot easier locating the screw hole.