Author Topic: Flamethrower?  (Read 3880 times)

Offline jforest1

Flamethrower?
« on: May 05, 2011 - 11:28:58 AM »
Anybody running a flame thrower? 

What brands/kits do you guys recommend?

Is there really that much unburnt fuel running through the exhaust or is there carb tuning generally to run rich enough to make it work?

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: Flamethrower?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011 - 11:11:49 AM »
Really? You want answers to those questions? OK.

Not that I know of.
NONE!
I'm sure tuning has something to do with how well it would or would not work.

Unless melting your tail lights and burning your paint is what you want.  :clueless:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011 - 12:12:44 PM »
Those are cool!!

Go for it!! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline jforest1

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011 - 09:05:52 AM »
Unless melting your tail lights and burning your paint is what you want.  :clueless:

I've got side pipes, so I don't have to worry about the tail lights...   :smokin:

Anyway, doesn't look like a problem, because its generally a short burst.
http://www.hotlicksexhaust.com/hypercart/faq.asp#51

I'm not talking about these guys!:

JF
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011 - 09:07:27 AM by jforest1 »
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011 - 09:33:02 AM »
Sorry to have been so harsh. I just think it is a bad idea. But then again people thought I was crazy to cut up a Challenger to make a trailer. If you like the idea and think you can do it safely, then go for it.

Oh, and do get some pics/video if you do.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011 - 11:43:03 AM »
Those look to be some pretty cool kits.
Good pricing also.

Please post some videos when you get some flamers installed!

That pink car is hilarious!! 
Those kind of flames would be nice on the highway when someone is riding your ass!!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Brusco

• GO GO GOLDFISH !
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011 - 01:22:02 PM »
I have a cheap way to get fire out of your exhaust.On my '71 Demon 340 I drilled and tapped a spark plug thread hole about an inch from end of the exhaust and then ran a plug wire to each of the plugs ,one on each side that spliced into the coil wire thru a switch in the cab and when I turned it on I got fire out the exhaust.Not to much when I was in the throttle but when I let off it shot fire about 5-6 feet out the ass end.Unlike the pink car in the video I could do this while driving,A much better effect I think,just sitting there what's that about.If that's what you're after forget the car just make a flamethrower and wear it like a backpack
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 - 01:26:03 PM by Brusco »
Oooooh Barra-Barra-CUDA !

Offline jforest1

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011 - 11:07:14 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty much how the kit is doing it.  I've got it all hooked up but haven't been able to test it yet.  Will get post a video of the full setup and flames once I get it tuned. 

No, I'm NOT looking for 3-story high flames.  That's just silly.  I am looking for 2-3 feet.

JF

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011 - 11:38:56 AM »
Using a manual choke carb helps with this as you can close the choke to create an instant rich condition, then open it back up to add more air.

Offline jforest1

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011 - 01:43:10 PM »
Interesting.

This kit actually kills the engine--reroutes the electrical going to ignition coil positive through a switch.  When button pressed on switch, electricity intended for ignition coil is routed to flamethrower spark plugs, without electricity, unburnt fuel is passed through the engine into exhaust where the flamethrower plugs are sparking, poof!

Can only go for as long as it takes the engine to spin down to idle.

With a manual choke carb, can you make it rich enough that you can get good flames with the engine running?

JF

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011 - 05:40:23 PM »
Its actually a similar pricipal, only accomplished with electricity instead of the choke.

The choke method requires you quickly rev the engine up in steps, then yank the choke closed, cutting off the air supply and leaving an overrich condition in the engine that pumps into the exhaust ,while similtanously pushing the ignitor button on the rear plugs, which ignites the now gasoline rich mixture.

Either way, it  isn'tvery good for the engine as the fuel wash strips the cylinders of oil and results in contaminated crankcase oil. I'm not sure how much you could do this before it actually becomes an issue nor if more frequent oil changes would change things significantly. I suppose you would need to have a history of oil contamination levels before and after the conversion to fully understand its impact. These can be done with a mail in kit for around $20 a pop, if you really want to know.

Offline jforest1

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011 - 09:23:17 PM »
So tried it out for the first time and pretty cool stuff.  Got it to work a few times.  There's a thin line between flames and backfire.  :P   I'm getting about 12-18 high velocity flames.  Looks kinda like this:

Apparently engine size and pipe configuration as well as some other factors affect flame shape/size/color.  I'm running factory exhaust manifold on 340 with straight side pipes (think shelby cobra).

Not sure my neighbors liked all the revving and popping, I'll probably try someplace else to practice next time...

JF

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011 - 06:50:01 AM »
Remembner when runnin the "choke" method, there's ALOT of raw fuel needed for these things to work properly...The rings in the engine WILL be washed down every time you do this....

I prefer the direct injection method as to try and keep the raw fuel out of the engine....
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline jforest1

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011 - 01:59:18 PM »
What is the direct injection method?  I mean, I assume I know what it means (squirting emulsified fuel into exhaust with spark), but looking to know how precisely it is set up...

JF

Offline jforest1

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011 - 10:38:58 AM »
Here's my wiring diagram of the flamethrower setup:

JF