Author Topic: Blowing Rear Taillight signal bulbs  (Read 2984 times)

Offline bandt

Blowing Rear Taillight signal bulbs
« on: May 11, 2011 - 09:28:35 PM »
Hey Guys,

Seem to be having trouble keeping tailight bulbs in stock. Drivers side blew first, now the pass side. Replaced pass side and after 10 min of driving it went again. Once blown signal stops flashing. Have done some wiring in the car, maybe I did something. What would cause bulbs to go?

Any suggestions? 

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Blowing Rear Taillight signal bulbs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011 - 02:12:31 AM »
Check your voltage at the battery, then at the tail light socket. High voltage will blow bulbs. I once blew out all of my lights, running my car without the battery in the car. 15 bulbs had to be changed out. The only ones working to get me home were the high beams and brake lights. No battery load brought the voltage way up.

Anything else blowing beside the tail lights?

Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline bandt

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011 - 05:58:21 AM »
Just seems to be the signal bulbs that are blowing. I am using a battery tender and ran a dedicated power lead from the alternator to the starter relay to bypass the ammeter. Not sure if that could cause excessive voltage though.

Brian

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011 - 07:42:38 AM »
Bad voltage regulator?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011 - 08:59:00 AM »
Bad voltage regulator?

You really need to put a voltmeter to the socket and see what kind of voltage you're getting to the bulbs. if it never gets higher than 15v, then you are just getting a bunch of bad bulbs and you should try a different brand.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline bandt

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011 - 04:14:41 PM »
I'll check voltage at the socket, thanks.

Offline mrwfp

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011 - 05:22:37 PM »
I had a similar problem with my '73 'Cuda years ago except the fuse keep blowing, not the light bulbs.  As it turned out the cigarette lighter and the tail lights were on the same fuse and the lighter had a short that blew the fuse.  Have you checked the fuse to see if it is the correct size?  If the fuse is sized incorrectly and you have a short like I did, the bulbs will probably burn out way before the fuse.  It's just something else to consider and look at when everything else leads nowhere.

Offline bandt

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011 - 06:50:56 PM »
Can someone describe what happens typically when a signal bulb goes?
This seems weird.
The situation with the bulb that will no longer flash, the rear parking light works normally with the other filament and with the signal on the second filament will come on solid like the brake light is on but the flasher won't come on. So the bulb seems fine but it won't engage the mechanical flasher under the dash. This has happened with both sides. If I replace the bulb it will work normally for a while then same thing happens. The bulbs appear to be fine they just won't turn the flasher on???

Offline bandt

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011 - 06:53:56 PM »
Checked with a voltmeter I have 14.50v with the engine off and battery in storage mode on tender.  I wonder what the voltage is at high RPM, maybe it does go over 15?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011 - 07:44:27 PM »
Can someone describe what happens typically when a signal bulb goes?
This seems weird.
The situation with the bulb that will no longer flash, the rear parking light works normally with the other filament and with the signal on the second filament will come on solid like the brake light is on but the flasher won't come on. So the bulb seems fine but it won't engage the mechanical flasher under the dash. This has happened with both sides. If I replace the bulb it will work normally for a while then same thing happens. The bulbs appear to be fine they just won't turn the flasher on???
Your bulbs are good and you have a bad ground at the socket.  I actually take a black wire and solder it to every tailight socket including my 2 side marker lights then ground it to a screw. You will never have tailight ground problems again.

You can verify this by holding a ground wire to the socket while watching the bulb.
Rob

Offline bandt

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011 - 10:40:47 PM »
Now I'm really confused.

New bulbs, tried grounding the housing right to the battery, checked to see if I have power from both signals to the flasher at the column (I do), parking lights work, when signal is put on it goes on steady (won't flash), hazardz work, unplugged cig. lighter (no difference)

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011 - 11:50:59 PM »
what about trying a new flasher? there cheap worth a shot.
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011 - 12:48:06 AM »
what about trying a new flasher? there cheap worth a shot.

Yes try the flasher. I usually just grab the emegency flasher and switch it with the turn signal flasher to rule it out. Same flasher works both left and right sides. The emergency flasher is a higher load flasher, should blink the side faster, but should work.

I guess I was puzzled because you said the bulbs "blew" and new ones fixed the problem for a little while, but then said the bad bulbs were still good.  You should have tried the flasher first, when the sides came on solid and didn't blink.
Rob

Offline bandt

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011 - 05:48:55 AM »
I'll try a flasher see what happens.
Originally replacing the bulb would cure the problem, seems there's more to it now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011 - 06:25:02 AM by bandt »

Offline bandt

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011 - 04:07:55 PM »
Update,

After all that a $4.00 flasher did the trick. Thanks guys.