Author Topic: 1974 'Cuda on it's way to new life... just a few speed bumps  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Nitrocide595

Hey everyone, Quick background on the car and my purpose of being here:

I'm here for a few reasons;  First and Foremost, The 'cuda in my family is my dad's.  I'm 18 now and he's had it since he was 18 (he's 51 now).  The time came shortly before I was born for a bit of an overhaul because the quarters were rusting out and the paint was bubbling.  So 18 years ago, my dad and his friends (all educated Mechanics) took apart the entire car (motor and all) for some restoration body work and new paint.  It was a total low-budget overhaul from the ground up. 

The car was originally Brown with white interior, but my dad saw another car (not a 'cuda) painted Dodge Dakota Blue and decided that was the color he wanted.  It looks beautiful and now, 18 years after the repainting, it sits in our garage STILL finding its way back together.  It's not a matter of "he forgot how it all goes back together", more "he works his butt off to support a family and doesn't have any free time".  It runs nicely and is only a few parts away from being street legal (Wipers and weather stripping for the windows and trunk, etc.).  We'll occasionally take it out and terrorize the neighborhood for a few minutes and then stuff it away in the garage before anyone can call in a complaint :P

My main purpose of using this forum is to sort out a few problems we have and track down some parts we need such as new window regulators, Chrome Trim Clips, and sound deadener for the doors (etc.).  Money is scarce and new parts don't come often.  As is is, my costly Easter Gift for my dad was a new T-Handle shifter from Year One (and at the price I paid, it counts as Father's day too lol)  so work is slow going.  I'll be going to school in the fall majoring in Auto Tech, so this car has been and still is part of my learning experience.  I'd like to be able to do some things while my dad is too busy so I can help him finish it right.  The car has avoided sale in financial Rough Patches and it would break his heart to see it go.  I plan on helping as much as I can to get an important piece of his history on the road!

Alright, so that's what I'm doing here.  Can't wait to get started! 

Mopar or No Car ;)
-Nitrocide595
-Nitrocide595

Dad's Dodge Dakota Blue '74 Barracuda, Small Block V8, Auto Slap Stick with a shot of N2O, 18 years of slow and careful restoration on a limited budget and counting...

Here's the story:    http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=76788.0

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
Re: 1974 'Cuda on it's way to new life... just a few speed bumps
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011 - 10:07:39 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Sounds like my son and I in 1983. He was 16.
Bought a 70 Barracuda in black primer. Needed lot of work.
Brakes, wheel cyl, master cyl.
Swapped engine 318 to 360. Trans 904 to 727.
Didn't know 360 is external balanced, change drive shaft.
Door replace.. My son and I learned a lot about Mopars from the
experience.
We found an AAR in 1985. Only need a paint job.
Enjoy working on your hobbies together. I am 71 he is 42.
Cars are expensive hobby.

Gran Coupe Convertible

////////////  CUDA AAR
AARuFAST
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011 - 10:11:07 PM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011 - 10:11:16 PM »
Wow, interesting story. Welcome to the site, and you will find all (and more) the info you need here. This is a great bunch of guys.
Many have specialty areas and others can do it all, so I don't think you could stump us. Good luck with the car and show us some pic's.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline cudabeforeIdie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011 - 11:35:22 PM »
Hi honey,
what a fine son you are! Your father is truly blessed. I know there's folks here who can help you with your issues, give them time to respond. And the best of luck with finishing the car and school in the fall, good for you! Everyone is experiencing financial hardships now honey, you and your family aren't alone. Keep the faith, work hard, saying a prayer won't hurt, and things will get better before you know it!
Laurie!

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011 - 08:45:52 AM »
welcome to the club :wavingflag:

Offline 1ownr

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011 - 08:48:03 AM »
Congrats to your Dad for holding onto the car, great to see you jump on board to keep it alive. Plenty members here to keep you inspired, informed and motivated.

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011 - 03:57:48 AM »
Welcome :wave: And  :iagree:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid