Author Topic: LED lights?  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Cuda54

LED lights?
« on: May 15, 2011 - 05:27:57 PM »
What do you guys think about up dateing the marker tail lights and the turn signals up front to LEDs? Is it realy worth the trouble to upgrade? I am thinking about them for my 72 Cuda. And adding H4 head lights and relays the flasher unit will need to be changed for LEDs. And they make the push in LED make bulbs for the markers. I have seen the kit for the tail lights reg and seq that go into your houseing. Or is it just better to use the bulbs that turn in to the sockets? Looking for options and ideas before I jump right into a big mess of problem.

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: LED lights?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011 - 05:40:13 PM »
I am running the LED's that replace the 1157 bulbs and just go in like a standard bulb. They make good light but are not perfect. I needed a lighter brake light load because of the added strain of the trailer lights.

Check out these two theads.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71423.0
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71466.0

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline Travis72

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011 - 07:17:24 PM »
I'm going through that right now with my 72 Cuda.  I used tail light bulbs from LEDtronics and they are really nice and bright.  I think they are worth it.

Also adding the H4 headlights along with relays for the power is a really nice upgrade as well (even just relays for the power is a good upgrade). 

If you're not trying to make the side marker lights flash then you can probably run all LED bulbs both in the lower grille and the side marker lights.  I'm trying to make my front side marker lights flash with the turn signals and I couldn't make it work with all LED bulbs even running relays.  The only way I could get it to work was to run a load resistor as well which I didn't like since that basically defeats the purpose.  So I ended up going back to normal bulbs in the lower grille and LEDs in the side marker lights.

LEDs are nice because they run cool and draw a lot less power.  However beware that there are a lot of cheap ones out there.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011 - 12:11:05 PM »
I'll give you an honest answer here since I'm making LED products.  The LED's will and are changing the way we look at automotive lighting.  The installation of LED products not only provides a an additional safety factor by illuminating faster than an incandescent bulb that is stock in our cars.  The front and rear of the challengers and cuda's can be updated to current standards.  I have Illumin8s that provides a day time running light as well as the amber turn signal all in one LED array for the fronts.  Check them out at www.globaloverdrive.com

An H4 conversion for the headlights is a great update to rid yourself of the yellow / dim sealed beam stockers.  Please note that I am installing the headlight upgrade in my Challenger, so I will post the results here. 

LED's are one of those products that you get what you pay for.  I your look at LEDtronics all the LED products are rated at 12V and 28V in the same package.  Most LED companies overdrive the LED's to 28V's to make them brighter.  By over-driving the LED's you shorten the lifespan (I don't have information on how much more that is shortens the lifespan but it is significant.)  The key is to find products that work (are brightest) at 12V.  There are a ton of products out  there and I personally have not found anything good for the side markers.  Most products (bulb replacements) have been fair at best.  I'm still looking.

I have yet to do a set of 72-74 Cuda tail lights yet.  I will though in the very near future since a member of the car club that I'm in is willing to allow me to use his car as the prototype.  I keep you posted.

Tony Edler
Illumin8s

Offline Cuda54

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011 - 08:43:46 PM »
Do you light around the backup lights when no brake or turn signals or revers lights are on just the running lights? How many LEDs do you use per light?

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011 - 09:43:23 AM »
You have been following a new Ford Explorer haven't you?  I agree the around the bezel method is cool.  As far as pattern goes, I'm not sure at the moment I would estimate between 70 and 85 (5mm) LED's.  The way that you describe your operation will required you to modify your wiring.  The reverse lamp is a reflector with the white ring inside.  My Challenger is the same way.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011 - 11:51:51 AM »
What do you guys think about up dateing the marker tail lights and the turn signals up front to LEDs? Is it realy worth the trouble to upgrade? I am thinking about them for my 72 Cuda. And adding H4 head lights and relays the flasher unit will need to be changed for LEDs. And they make the push in LED make bulbs for the markers. I have seen the kit for the tail lights reg and seq that go into your houseing. Or is it just better to use the bulbs that turn in to the sockets? Looking for options and ideas before I jump right into a big mess of problem.

My $50 LED brake/turns in a 1972 'Cuda

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=67744.msg695422#msg695422

I upgraded to H4 bulbs with relays here. Have since gone to H4 HID/Xenon bulbs
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=67743.msg695415#msg695415

I almost put my LED headlights into my 'Cuda instead of the Jeep. But the actual look of them was far from fitting for my Barracuda

:grinyes:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011 - 11:57:24 AM by GoodysGotaCuda »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011 - 01:17:06 PM »
cool
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline Jimmycook

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012 - 06:47:20 AM »
You have been following a new Ford Explorer haven't you?  I agree the around the bezel method is cool.  As far as pattern goes, I'm not sure at the moment I would estimate between 70 and 85 (5mm) led.  The way that you describe your operation will required you to modify your wiring.  The reverse lamp is a reflector with the white ring inside.  My Challenger is the same way.

Do you have more pics of your leds?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012 - 03:02:26 AM by Jimmycook »