Front drums stuck any tips on how to remove them?

Author Topic: Front drums stuck any tips on how to remove them?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Barracudadan

Front drums stuck any tips on how to remove them?
« on: May 16, 2011 - 11:29:37 AM »
I can`t get my front drums off they don`t spin easily either I think maybe the brake shoes are stuck holding the drum on. I`m figuring they havent been off in over 20 years. How can I get them free without beating on the drum and cracking them?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Front drums stuck any tips on how to remove them?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011 - 11:46:04 AM »
I assume you backed the adjusters off all the way first right?  You'd have to beat on the drums really hard to break them. 

There is most likely a lip of rust that the shoes get caught on.  If you don't want to beat on the drums at all, I'd try drilling out the pins that hold the shoes to the backing plates.  If the shoes are loose, they should come right out with the drum. 

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011 - 12:26:45 PM »
I had the same problem getting the rear drums off the trailer. Adjusters all rusted and would not move. I took some scraps of steal and two big C-clamps. Set it up so that as I tightened the clamps it pulled the drums off. It took some time but they moved.

Burdar's idea of drilling out the pins sounds like it would work as well. Wish I had thought of that back then.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011 - 01:23:21 PM »
I assume you backed the adjusters off all the way first right?  You'd have to beat on the drums really hard to break them. 

There is most likely a lip of rust that the shoes get caught on.  If you don't want to beat on the drums at all, I'd try drilling out the pins that hold the shoes to the backing plates.  If the shoes are loose, they should come right out with the drum.

If you did that, wouldnt you risk ripping the plungers out of the wheel cylinder?  Plus the shoes have the e-brake cable attached to them, and they fit around that pin at the top...not sure that would work..... :clueless:

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011 - 01:29:45 PM »
The wheel cylinder extensions should pull right out of the rubber when you pull the shoes away.  There is no e-brake cable on the front.  It would still work on the rear though.  With the shoes loose from the backing plates, you should be able to pull the drums far enough away to be able to remove the adjuster or removed the extensions from the wheel cylinders.  After that, everything should just fall apart in there.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011 - 01:40:01 PM »
The wheel cylinder extensions should pull right out of the rubber when you pull the shoes away.  There is no e-brake cable on the front.  It would still work on the rear though.  With the shoes loose from the backing plates, you should be able to pull the drums far enough away to be able to remove the adjuster or removed the extensions from the wheel cylinders.  After that, everything should just fall apart in there.

Good info!  Been there more than one time, fighting a damn drum.....never thought about your approach!    :2thumbs:

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011 - 01:46:12 PM »
Don't worry your self about damaging any of the hardware or the wheel cylinders. If they have not been off in 20+ years you will want to replace every thing anyway.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011 - 02:23:08 PM »
Assuming the shoes are not hung up on rust or a lip inside the drums, a little heat and a mallet can break it loose from the hub.
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011 - 02:45:05 PM »
I didn`t even think about adjusters in the front I knew the rear had them. BRAINFART!!!  :faint: I`m still thinking front disk rear drum even though it is drums all around! Wish it did have front disks maybe next year I feel like Fred Flintstone when trying to stop!

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011 - 10:21:23 AM »
73 to 76 a body is a bolt on. unless you are wanting to go with 11.75 rotors then there isnt much to it either.
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011 - 03:40:06 PM »
  It would still work on the rear though.  With the shoes loose from the backing plates, you should be able to pull the drums far enough away to be able to remove the adjuster or removed the extensions from the wheel cylinders.  After that, everything should just fall apart in there.
:iagree: Been there. It works
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011 - 02:57:11 PM »
Don't force them ! Use a bigger hammer  :roflsmiley:
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011 - 10:56:07 AM »
 :roflsmiley:
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.