Author Topic: Engine Back Together - Finally!  (Read 3238 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Engine Back Together - Finally!
« on: May 22, 2011 - 07:42:40 AM »
Took the day of work Friday and put my engine back together (repainted the timing cover and water pump).

I also painted some aluminium valve covers that I had laying around. Just need to get some vc gaskets and bolt them on and .

Great way to spend a friday!

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Brusco

• GO GO GOLDFISH !
Re: Engine Back Together - Finally!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011 - 08:59:13 AM »
Nice lookin' motor.What is the black module in the fuel line where it seperates to go to the accelerater pumps?An electric fuel pump?Why is the fuel pressure gauge located after the split?I need to install an electric pump on my motor(see pic)and am running a Holley 4150 650CFM Dbl.Pmpr. but I want to see the fuel pressure from drivers seat and before the split to the two fuel hookups on the carb.Help please? Brusco
Oooooh Barra-Barra-CUDA !

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011 - 09:26:19 AM »
I believe that is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.  The reason the gauge is after it is so you can see the REGULATED fuel pressure, not the raw fuel pressure that is put out by the pump (mechanical or electric).  Carbs are designed to operate on low fuel pressure.  Some fuel pumps produce much more pressure than a carb can handle, therefore the regulator.  The gauge is so you can dial it down to where the carb likes it.  You really don't need to see fuel pressure from the drivers seat since if your pump is adequate it should remain the same.  Also, if you mount it remotely, now you have extra fuel lines running across the engine and that is asking for trouble if you have a leak. 

And Cuda Jas, really nice work on the engine!
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline Brusco

• GO GO GOLDFISH !
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011 - 11:40:35 AM »
ok that makes sense on the regulator and gauge,I would've thot an electric gauge could be used in cab,no way would NHRA allow fuel lines in the cab,that I know.You are saying tho that a regulator seperate from the fuel pump is needed.is it neccesary if the fuel pump has a regulator?I am looking at ones that are regulated to 7 psi.I am having trouble finding one that cuts off when the pressure reaches that point.I had an electric one years ago (do not remember the brand)on my Demon 340 and it would only run when you used enough fuel to drop the pressure,as when you are idling it would not run but when I floored it it ran and I never had a lack of fuel.Thanx for the info JHC,Brusco

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011 - 01:09:51 PM »
Looks great! My son's favourite Cuda! He loves your paint job! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011 - 06:48:02 PM »
Nice lookin' motor.What is the black module in the fuel line where it seperates to go to the accelerater pumps?An electric fuel pump?Why is the fuel pressure gauge located after the split?I need to install an electric pump on my motor(see pic)and am running a Holley 4150 650CFM Dbl.Pmpr. but I want to see the fuel pressure from drivers seat and before the split to the two fuel hookups on the carb.Help please? Brusco

My buddy mounts his pressure gage on the cowl right in front of the driver or get an electric gage.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/26-503/10002/-1?parentProductId=745259
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Brusco

• GO GO GOLDFISH !
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011 - 06:51:09 PM »
Thanx,that looks like what I want,Brusco

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011 - 09:55:49 PM »
Yep...black thing is a fuel pressure regulator....JHC is bang on with his comments.

Here are some pics of the finished product!

Next up...first drive of the year!!!...may later this week????

Jason!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011 - 10:02:45 PM by CUDA JAS »
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011 - 09:22:11 AM »
Yep...black thing is a fuel pressure regulator....JHC is bang on with his comments.
Here are some pics of the finished product!
Next up...first drive of the year!!!...may later this week????
Jason!
Hi Jason,
What Fuel Regulator do you recommend for a single-feed 360ci 4bbl?
Is the excess fuel line to the back of the carburetor to eliminate the gas from boiling; or back flow?
Do you recommend all steel fuel lines?

Thanks, Joe
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline willhaven

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011 - 01:19:24 PM »

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011 - 09:56:19 PM »
Hi Jason,
What Fuel Regulator do you recommend for a single-feed 360ci 4bbl?
Is the excess fuel line to the back of the carburetor to eliminate the gas from boiling; or back flow?
Do you recommend all steel fuel lines?

Thanks, Joe

Hey Joe,

I have used Holley regulators, they are not expensive and work very well.

I am running a 750 vac secondary carb with dual feed, so the fuel line to the back of the carb feed the secondary bowl.  If you are refierign to aontehr section let me know.

The lines at the carb are all steel.  The line at the botom of the reg runs to the fuel pump mount and attachd the a length of rubber line that goes to aluminium lines that run along the stock routing to a electric fule pump.  All the steel and aluminum lines are double flared. 

That is actualy an old picture, I have since changed the intake, changed the feed lines and put on a manual fuel pump.

Here is a current pic.

74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011 - 09:57:15 PM »
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011 - 10:27:24 PM »
Hi Jason!  :wave: car is looking good!   My kids love your car. We have a PS3 game  ( midnightclub-LA)  and my son painted up a 70 Challenger almost like yours. I said hey nice car and he replied ya I tried to copy
Cuda Jas's car!
I thought you would get a kick outta that!  :2thumbs:
Funny out of all the car show's we have been to they remember your car the most. :grinyes:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011 - 01:15:46 PM »
Hi Jason!  :wave: car is looking good!   My kids love your car. We have a PS3 game  ( midnightclub-LA)  and my son painted up a 70 Challenger almost like yours. I said hey nice car and he replied ya I tried to copy
Cuda Jas's car!
I thought you would get a kick outta that!  :2thumbs:
Funny out of all the car show's we have been to they remember your car the most. :grinyes:

Hey Brad.

Thanks.  That is great.   :ylsuper:

Comments like that are what make this hobby worthwhile!
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!