Author Topic: D O D G E letters  (Read 8668 times)

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
Re: D O D G E letters
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011 - 11:27:49 PM »
neither are the rest of mine....
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011 - 08:37:10 AM »
I'll take a look at what I have.  If it's in decent shape you can have it.

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011 - 03:59:21 PM »
Cool, I would greatly appriciate it.

Are you going to Carlisle this year?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011 - 04:25:32 PM »
I'm going to the Nat's but not Carlisle.  Let me look it over and see how nice it is.  If you can use it, it's yours.  Give me a day or so...the wife is in the hospital with our 2 year old son so I may be spending the night there.  I should remember but if you don't hear from me by tomorrow send me a PM.

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011 - 04:28:31 PM »
Family Comes first, Brother!
I am in no rush,,,but will PM you as a reminder.

thanks again.

James

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011 - 08:36:52 AM »
I bought new DODGE letters at the Nat's from Herb's Parts.  The rears fit great.  I havn't tried the fronts yet.  There is paint buildup in the holes so I need to open them up a bit before the pins will go through.

Did the factory use any type of sealer on the pins for the rear letters? I've got new plastic retainers but didn't know if water was going to find its way into the trunk if I didn't use some sealer.  I thought about using some very small O-rings on the pins but I think the pins are too close to the edge of the letters.

If it's nessesary, maybe I'll just put a small ring of strip caulk around the pins on the inside before the plastic retainers are installed.

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011 - 09:28:19 AM »
The pin retainers should do the trick. I've never had an issue with leakage there.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011 - 09:47:10 AM »
I bought a set of repros about 15-20 years ago, and they look like crap. The castings are very loose, with lots of flash and runner stems. Hopefully those are no longer available.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011 - 09:51:19 AM »
I bought new DODGE letters at the Nat's from Herb's Parts.  The rears fit great.  I havn't tried the fronts yet.  There is paint buildup in the holes so I need to open them up a bit before the pins will go through.

Did the factory use any type of sealer on the pins for the rear letters? I've got new plastic retainers but didn't know if water was going to find its way into the trunk if I didn't use some sealer.  I thought about using some very small O-rings on the pins but I think the pins are too close to the edge of the letters.

If it's nessesary, maybe I'll just put a small ring of strip caulk around the pins on the inside before the plastic retainers are installed.

I always add some Permatex gasket maker ( black stuff) around parts like that. ( around the hole )  :2cents:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011 - 10:00:18 AM »
I put a little strip caulk around the pins before I installed the retainers.  It probably wasn't nessesary but I did it anyway. The rear letters look really good.  There isn't a lot of casting flash.  They look a little better then the originals in that way.  The fronts do have some casting flash on the inside but the original ones do too.  I cleaned out the holes in the hood and the letters fit great there too.

Were the attaching nuts for the hood letters that brownish green plating originally or were they silver zinc?  The new nuts that came with the letters are silver zinc but the original ones look very dark.  I put them in the tumbler for an hour and they came out a dull silver.  I didn't think that would have been long enough to take the brown plating off of them if that is what they were. 

If they are supposed to be brown, I'll dip them in my black oxide solution...if not  I'll just RPM them and be done.