Author Topic: Removing steering box  (Read 879 times)

Offline cmesa

Removing steering box
« on: May 28, 2011 - 07:38:11 PM »
Hello,
I, am planing to remove the steering box on my 72 Barracuda (p/s) I am removing the 2 hoses and the bolts. Is that all I have to do? I currently have about 6 inches of play and it leaks.
Thanks to all

Offline CID440

Re: Removing steering box
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011 - 07:55:52 PM »
You'll have a pin to drive out on the shaft and the obvious things like mounting bolts on the frame rail and the connecting rod on the steering arm.

I had to take off my header on that side and bust the motor mount loose to get mine out.  Hope you have a smoother experience.   GL ;)

Offline LAA66

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011 - 09:56:36 PM »
 You can also remove the small pin on the box shaped coupler and pull the guts out with the steering wheel unit if the shaft pins a problem.

Offline Ford.P51

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011 - 02:53:08 PM »
You'll have a pin to drive out on the shaft and the obvious things like mounting bolts on the frame rail and the connecting rod on the steering arm.

I had to take off my header on that side and bust the motor mount loose to get mine out.  Hope you have a smoother experience.   GL ;)

I had a hard time getting the pin out of mine. But I was able to get mine in and out without removing anything else. I pulled it out the bottom. It was difficult and took a lot of wiggling but it can be done. I remember it being harder to get back in that out though, it weighs a ton!
1969 Ford Mustang Mach1
1972 Challenger

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011 - 04:02:03 PM »
P51, would you mind taking a look at the thread I just created? I'm having problems getting the pin back in on mine.
 :cheers:
link:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=77423.0
Finn from dodgecharger.com