Author Topic: Fuel gauge and temp gauge not working  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Barracudadan

Fuel gauge and temp gauge not working
« on: May 30, 2011 - 06:40:06 PM »
I`m getting ready to put my car on the road but my temp and fuel gauges are not working could the problems be related?The alt gauge does seem to be working. I just put in a new fuel line ground strap hoping that may have been all I neded for the fuel gauge but no such luck. Where should I begin troubleshooting this? The fuses all look good can I trouble shoot this with a test light or do I need a meter?

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Re: Fuel gauge and temp gauge not working
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011 - 07:01:13 PM »
Does the gauge peg if you ground it?  Sounds like the gauge voltage regulator is bad.  IIRC the gauges need to see 5v+- to work properly.  it's located on the back of the gauge cluster.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011 - 07:05:34 PM »
I suppose you have standard gauges? I suspect the same thing as Tom. It's your voltage limiter on the back side of the gauges.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011 - 10:14:41 PM »
Does the gauge peg if you ground it?  Sounds like the gauge voltage regulator is bad.  IIRC the gauges need to see 5v+- to work properly.  it's located on the back of the gauge cluster.

Tom

Thanks for the replys.So do I need to replace the gauges,or can the gauge voltage regulator be fixed and where would I find one? Yes standard gauges, can you explain further on how to check I have never stuck my nose up under the dash to look at the back side of the gauges. I don`t even know what the voltage limitor is will I recognize it when I see it? Would it be easier to remove the gauge cluster to troubleshoot them or should I just leave them in place?
I must confess my electrical skills are somewhat lacking the melted screwdrivers and wire cutters in my toolbox can attest to this fact! When I have any electrical issues I relied on a test light till it broke >:( .I have multi-meter it was my dads but I don`t  even know how to read the damn thing guess it`s time to read the instructions that came with it!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011 - 10:23:25 PM »
Here's info on tracking down the problem, they also sell new voltage limiters
http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_Gauge_Faq
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!