Author Topic: Spindle swap question  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Ford.P51

Spindle swap question
« on: May 31, 2011 - 01:03:16 PM »
Hi all,

Quick question about doing a spindle swap (for a disc to drum upgrade) on our Challenger. I bought a kit, their instructions say to place the car on jackstands, jack up the lower control arm a bit, place a jackstand underneath the control arm, then remove the spindle (after disconnecting all the appropriate items).

Is this a safe way to do this??? 

I would have unloaded the torsion bars if I were doing this without instructions, but this certainly would save some time. This is my first MOPAR with torsion bars, never had to deal with them before. Thanks in advance!!!
1969 Ford Mustang Mach1
1972 Challenger

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: Spindle swap question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011 - 06:08:03 PM »
I wouldn't trust doing it the way they say. What if it slips on you? Support the car with the K-member or frame rails. Then just count the number of threads showing on the adjusters and back them off. Changing you spindles your going to be knocking the front end around quite a bit.  :2cents:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011 - 06:20:15 PM »
I wouldn't trust doing it the way they say. What if it slips on you? Support the car with the K-member or frame rails. Then just count the number of threads showing on the adjusters and back them off. Changing you spindles your going to be knocking the front end around quite a bit.  :2cents:

:iagree:  Good advice! Just take a few minutes to back them off! Quicker and cheaper than a trip to the ER? :grinyes:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011 - 09:31:02 PM »
I have done it both ways without problem but it all depends on your skills,,support the car very good and its not a big deal,,but is it safer the other way (yes) but if your familiar with these cars its not a big deal but hey that just me  :2cents:
I guess my concept would be would you take the torsion bars loose to change the upper ball joint ?
I would not and with that loose it  is half the job and all the support off,,but if you dont feel safe about it then dont do it
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Ford.P51

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011 - 10:21:42 AM »
I should have made this a poll

So far two against, and 1 maybe. Anyone else???
1969 Ford Mustang Mach1
1972 Challenger

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011 - 12:01:08 PM »
I look at it like parking next to the shopping cart return instead of out in an open space.  It may save you time and a few steps, and MAYBE nothing bad will happen, but why risk it?
** Shane **

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011 - 04:21:22 PM »
I don't necessarily think you'll save any time. Loosening the torsion bars only takes a few minutes and then you can go crazy.  With the other way, I'd be very inclined to go slowly so that the car didn't risk moving/slipping. If the jackstand under the LCA slips, it'll either heave the car sideways, or throw the stand through the nearest wall.

Take a video in case that happens :)
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Ford.P51

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011 - 09:18:16 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll loosen the torsion bars. Shop manual says to do it this way as well.

Hopefully I'll get started this weekend, unless the honey-do list gets re-loaded......

Thanks!
1969 Ford Mustang Mach1
1972 Challenger