Author Topic: AMD Glass  (Read 6188 times)

Offline 300

• 69 chevelle,67chevelle , 70 barracuda
AMD Glass
« on: June 03, 2011 - 09:23:30 PM »
Anybody try the Glass from AMD  I want to replace all on my 70 Cuda Thanks

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
Re: AMD Glass
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011 - 09:47:00 PM »
i have sold plenty of this glass, installed a few pieces.  no major issues or issues that couldnt be fixed. door glass is NO longer and issue, challenger back glass had some issues, NO issues with the windshield, back glass, door or quarter,

let me know if your interested, I can have you a kit put together and shipped monday or tuesday. just need to know tinted or clear?

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=499-1570&search_in_description=1
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011 - 10:16:36 PM »
I bought an AMD glass kit for my 70 Challenger and it is great.  It is exactly the size as the original glass from Chrysler with the exception that the windshield is is about .30" thicker than the original glass.   I bought the kit thru Dave as Rosevillemoparts and am totally pleased with it.  I ordered the tinted kit but must admit that I was a little surprised that the windshield, in addition to being tinted had a darker tint strip across the top.  No problem, I just didn't expect it. You can't go wrong with this glass.  PK
The Brewmaster

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012 - 11:13:50 PM »
I just got a front glass quote from a place in Hayward called All Star Auto Glass.
$116.00 quoted.
I walk in and pick it up.
It's not there to go see is the catch.

Best I found as far as AMD front glass was $195.00 plus $135.00 shipping.
I need the rear also. That was $354.00 included in the shipping quote.

I need advice whether the AMD glass is really that much better or not than what I can find locally.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline tman

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012 - 11:26:44 PM »
I purchased the AMD driver side door glass from mopardave.  I asked him if the glass was good and he said it was.  Made my purchase and I was not disappointed.  Good glass and I can trust Dave's assessment. 

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012 - 11:40:51 PM »
I got an online quote for a AMD windshield via Summit Racing; $281.91, shipped.
 :working:

I just got a front glass quote from a place in Hayward called All Star Auto Glass.
$116.00 quoted.
I walk in and pick it up.
It's not there to go see is the catch.

Best I found as far as AMD front glass was $195.00 plus $135.00 shipping.
I need the rear also. That was $354.00 included in the shipping quote.

I need advice whether the AMD glass is really that much better or not than what I can find locally.
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012 - 12:07:59 AM »
I purchased windshield for my AAR date code from ECS a sponsor.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productsDCG.php
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012 - 05:39:47 PM »
the qaulity of the AMD glass is good, the ppg or pilkington glass that is currently available is what it is. it will come down too. do you want the pentastar like OEM glass has or not and if it is justified in pricing.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012 - 05:51:01 PM »
OK,  here we go....

Got an AMD front Cuda glass thru Summit  , yes the glass is much thicker .290 verse .245 factory and that's ok but my problem was the bottom Left & Right corners were so flat that the glass was up about 3/4". NO WAY I COULD HAVE USED IT... I think some one else on this site with a Challenger had the same problem and I did post some photos on a prior post.

I called Summit and after I explained the problem they took it back and refunded me the full amount with shipping..

I don't know if it was the one glass but I went ahead and got an Aftermarket glass for about the same price and it fit like a glove, that one was .205 thick..

I guess it's like anything else made today , hope for the best.....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012 - 05:58:17 PM by vinb »

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012 - 09:45:07 AM »
Good point to be aware of, thanks.  I'm going to need front and back glass, but one (so far) of my local glass shops quoted me almost $500 for the windshield alone. :faint:

OK,  here we go....

Got an AMD front Cuda glass thru Summit  , yes the glass is much thicker .290 verse .245 factory and that's ok but my problem was the bottom Left & Right corners were so flat that the glass was up about 3/4". NO WAY I COULD HAVE USED IT... I think some one else on this site with a Challenger had the same problem and I did post some photos on a prior post.

I called Summit and after I explained the problem they took it back and refunded me the full amount with shipping..

I don't know if it was the one glass but I went ahead and got an Aftermarket glass for about the same price and it fit like a glove, that one was .205 thick..

I guess it's like anything else made today , hope for the best.....
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012 - 09:13:26 PM »
Most glass shops can get aftermarket glass and should be around 275 to 300 installed , Safe-lite quoted me a price of 295 and couple local vendors like I said are 275-300..

Call your local body shop and see who they use...

you should be ok.. 

Good Luck...

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013 - 12:14:36 AM »
Thanks, I will ask around.  :) 
Another thing, though my car is "coded" for tinted glass the back glass looks clear to me while the rest of the car's glass is definitely tinted.  Was the original back glass clear regardless of the codes, or do I possibly have a replaced back glass?

Most glass shops can get aftermarket glass and should be around 275 to 300 installed , Safe-lite quoted me a price of 295 and couple local vendors like I said are 275-300..

Call your local body shop and see who they use...

you should be ok.. 

Good Luck...
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013 - 08:06:00 PM »
Thanks, I will ask around.  :) 
Another thing, though my car is "coded" for tinted glass the back glass looks clear to me while the rest of the car's glass is definitely tinted.  Was the original back glass clear regardless of the codes, or do I possibly have a replaced back glass?

I still have my rear A/C glass. It was definitely tinted a green shade darker than the non A/C glass.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013 - 10:03:39 PM »
Thanks Topcat, mine has factory A/C so I guess it should be tinted all the way around huh?
I wonder about the aftermarket windshields too, the tinted ones I have seen so far have a rather wide and pretty dark upper tint band that just does not look right to me.  Although my windshield is long gone I don't recall it being the "obnoxiously" dark at the top.

I still have my rear A/C glass. It was definitely tinted a green shade darker than the non A/C glass.
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013 - 10:06:24 PM »
Thanks Topcat, mine has factory A/C so I guess it should be tinted all the way around huh?
I wonder about the aftermarket windshields too, the tinted ones I have seen so far have a rather wide and pretty dark upper tint band that just does not look right to me.  Although my windshield is long gone I don't recall it being the "obnoxiously" dark at the top.

Owned my car since 72' in the family.
Yes the dark tint on the upper visor is OEM correct on A/C equipped E bodies.
Mike, Fremont, CA.