Author Topic: New Member 1970 Challenger 383 4 speed  (Read 10304 times)

Offline x_cell3217

Re: New Member 1970 Challenger 383 4 speed
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011 - 05:31:24 AM »
One way would be to look at the pics I posted of the dealer order guidelines.   They came from

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

Look the site over.  Once again.  A 'L' code car came ONLY with an automatic.
I understand but the guy I bought it from swears that it's a 4 speed and I just want to make sure since that lowers the value of the car right?

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2011 - 11:45:48 AM »
It doesn't really lower that value of your car to not have a 4 speed because it was not available with your car.  Your car as a 383 2 bbl with an automatic will never be as valuable as a 383 4 bbl, 4 speed Challenger that is in the same overall condition as your car.  It is not a bad thing unless you want to restore the car 100%.  If you want to modify your car with headers, a different engine, or even more extensive modifications this is a good car to do that to.  You would not be hurting an original car, more valuable car.  Different cars are for different people who want to do different things to them.  Some want a valuable numbers matching car.  Some want a shell to go racing with.  Your car looks like it is a decent car to start with.  If you want a 4 speed, put one in it.  It has a good start on that already.  What do you what from your car?  What do you plan to do with your car?  Do you want a valuable numbers matching car or do you want a car that is modified to some degree? These are questions you will need to answer before you start your project.  Depending on what you want and what you can afford this may or may not be the car for you.  If you decide to go with another car, ask about it here.  There are many people who will help you to know what you are getting into with the car before you buy it.  If you stay with this car, start a restoration thread.   :thumbsup:
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline x_cell3217

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011 - 10:35:03 AM »
It doesn't really lower that value of your car to not have a 4 speed because it was not available with your car.  Your car as a 383 2 bbl with an automatic will never be as valuable as a 383 4 bbl, 4 speed Challenger that is in the same overall condition as your car.  It is not a bad thing unless you want to restore the car 100%.  If you want to modify your car with headers, a different engine, or even more extensive modifications this is a good car to do that to.  You would not be hurting an original car, more valuable car.  Different cars are for different people who want to do different things to them.  Some want a valuable numbers matching car.  Some want a shell to go racing with.  Your car looks like it is a decent car to start with.  If you want a 4 speed, put one in it.  It has a good start on that already.  What do you what from your car?  What do you plan to do with your car?  Do you want a valuable numbers matching car or do you want a car that is modified to some degree? These are questions you will need to answer before you start your project.  Depending on what you want and what you can afford this may or may not be the car for you.  If you decide to go with another car, ask about it here.  There are many people who will help you to know what you are getting into with the car before you buy it.  If you stay with this car, start a restoration thread.   :thumbsup:
honestly I wad choosing between the 1967 mustang fastback and this 1970 challenger I do want to have fun with this car but I know I was going to put into it alot of money I just don't want to invest alot of money that I can't return so I can start on another project I ended up getting this car since I got a affordable price in an good condition let me ask you this how much will it be worth after it's done the right way

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011 - 10:57:52 AM »
If you do it right, you'll be lucky yo get 50% of every dollar / man hour spent on the car.  That's if you do it right.  If you want to make money, than you'll have to cut some corners on things to keep the cost really low.  Restoring cars is very hard to make money on.  If you want to make money, find projects and flip them.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline x_cell3217

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2011 - 01:18:11 PM »
 :feedback:  what I mean by lower the value is. That I bought this car thinking or informed that this is an original four speed. Now if this isn't then I. Will have to return the car since I paid for that

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2011 - 01:52:19 PM »
IMO.... all other things being the same:

a #'s matching factory 4 speed is worth more than a #'s matching factory auto.
a #'s matching factory auto is worth more than a non #'s matching factory 4 speed.
a non #'s matching factory 4 speed is worth more than a non #'s matching factory auto.

If you're looking for a car that will be worth big dollars when you get done, you'll want a numbers car with all matching documents (cowl stamping, radiator stamping, door VIN, Dash VIN, Fender Tag, Build Sheet (if it's a hamtramk car) and clean title).  Look for 4 speeds or any 440 or Hemi car.  Depending on the condition be ready to spend between 30K to 60K on top of the purchase price to restore the car back to factory specs.  Stock restorations on big dollar cars will bring the highest resell.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2011 - 03:43:55 PM »
:feedback:  what I mean by lower the value is. That I bought this car thinking or informed that this is an original four speed. Now if this isn't then I. Will have to return the car since I paid for that
I wish you luck in that.  I agree with what Cody has said. You now need to decide what you want out of the car. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline x_cell3217

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2011 - 04:15:19 PM »
ok guys thanks alot i really appericate your addvice and i look around i did estimates about how much money i will be spending and if i was putting all this money on a car i will put it on something worth it looking at the car i got now i will be spending around 25 but putting it to a matching numbers it will be the same except i will have to pay more for the body so i will have to think :pullinghair:

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2011 - 05:48:32 PM »
A car can be numbers matching ONLY if it has the original engine and transmission.  There is only ONE original engine and transmission per car.  If you don't have them, your car can never be numbers matching.  Some have restamped engines and transmissions.  You could be liable for fraud if you do so.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2011 - 06:39:18 PM »
I think what he was trying to say is that he'll be in to this car OR a numbers matching car the same, but he would have to spend more to get a numbers matching car to start with.  It's hard to understand without punctuation, but that's what I took from it.

A car can be numbers matching ONLY if it has the original engine and transmission.  There is only ONE original engine and transmission per car.  If you don't have them, your car can never be numbers matching.  Some have restamped engines and transmissions.  You could be liable for fraud if you do so.

ok guys thanks alot i really appericate your addvice and i look around i did estimates about how much money i will be spending and if i was putting all this money on a car i will put it on something worth it looking at the car i got now i will be spending around 25 but putting it to a matching numbers it will be the same except i will have to pay more for the body so i will have to think

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2011 - 08:53:20 PM »
Cody,
  I don't know.  I just hope we helped him.   I have been doing this most of my life now.  There is so much to learn for someone new.  I am still learning things.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011 - 08:55:08 PM by Challenger6pak »

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2011 - 11:15:14 PM »
You're so right.... there is so much to learn.  This site is one of the best to get help from and it's guys like you that make it great.   :2thumbs:

Cody,
  I don't know.  I just hope we helped him.   I have been doing this most of my life now.  There is so much to learn for someone new.  I am still learning things.

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2011 - 01:02:50 AM »
Nice car and looks like a good project.

Offline x_cell3217

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2011 - 01:38:54 PM »
Cody,
O you guys helped every much I'm really glad I join this site to meet guys like you to help and I thank you guys alot I hope I can return the favor

Offline x_cell3217

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2011 - 01:40:14 PM »
Nice car and looks like a good project.
Thanks man