Author Topic: Before and After of a Dash Restoration  (Read 15912 times)

Offline RB2929

Re: Before and After of a Dash Restoration
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011 - 10:33:27 AM »
Cody, great job.  :drunk:
The metal portion of the dash; there's a texture to the visable portion?
Yours looks great, I didnt know about the texture, though.
Can you expand, please?
- What is it?
- Where did you get it?
Hoping the texture paint is avail in rattle-can

Oh, and yes, a How-To section would be great.  Of course, I think this site is a how-to site, especially the girls with cars photos  :drool:

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011 - 10:39:38 AM »
The pad was redone and the woodgrain overlays were purchased from David at Roseville.  The bend is easy.  Line up the new flat face with the old bent one and mark it with a pencil.  That tells you where to bend it.  Use conduit to make the bend.  I'll do a 'how to' on the next one.

The texture (not flattener) is the same as the factory.  The steering column and dash have it.  Not a rattle can, but instead an additive to the paint before you shoot it.  Takes some practice to get it right.  I'll include it in the 'how to'.

Thanks guys.

Did you restore the pad also?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011 - 11:08:29 AM »
At one point, I thought I read that 1970 used a different paint then the other years.  I know my dash frame and steering colom didn't have that much texture to them.  Maybe it's a 1970 thing.  When I redid the dash frame I used SEM Trim Black and sprayed it a little dry on the last coat to give it a very slight texture.

I think you will find a lot of factory variations with painted parts.  The workers weren't worried about every car being painted the same.  They just sprayed the paint very quickly and were onto the next one.

There is a company that sells the correct seude paints for the dash frames.  They have the paints listed over on Moparts.  I think they are quite spendy though.  For someone doing an OE restoration, those paints would have to be used.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011 - 11:13:04 AM »
If that is an UR dash pad, what did you do about the vinyl color.  Mine is more of a dark gray instead of a glossy black like the factory vinyl.  Did you redye the pad or just leave it as-is? 

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011 - 11:59:52 AM »
I'll post a picture of the Texture paint can and code along with the tech sheet from Mopar from 1970 showing the color and codes for each part.  As for the dash, it's just as I received it.  The color was really good.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011 - 12:30:46 PM »
 :ylsuper:

Offline RB2929

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011 - 03:24:49 PM »
Cody, Thank you.  I always learn new stuff from this site.  :2thumbs:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011 - 09:37:41 PM »
Cody was the pad supplied from Roseville too? If not where? How was the fit/ finish? Did it fit good around the radio side plastic trim?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011 - 10:00:17 PM »
Did you restore the pad also?
Or who did you get it from?

Thanks for the pics! Nice resto.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011 - 01:09:56 AM »
Looks Good! How many hours of work involved?

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011 - 10:07:39 AM »
Not sure on the hours.... I just work on things a little bit after work or on the weekends.  I would guess about 20 hours or so.

As for the pad, it was a new cover over a stock steel core that I picked it up from a swap meet.  Someone bought it, but didn't finish their car.  It was brand new, but I'm not sure who recovered it.  My guess would be UR, but that's only a guess.  The fit needed some work to make perfect.  Things like the trim and rallye light bar didn't fit until I trimmed the dash pad.  Really wasn't a problem to do, but had to be done to make it perfect.

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011 - 01:34:50 PM »
Man, you need to open shop, we will send ours to you!
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011 - 01:22:12 AM »
Man, you need to open shop, we will send ours to you!

I'll second that! 

Cody, let me know if you want another 70 Rallye dash to rebuild and I'll bring my down this fall from Seattle.
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011 - 08:04:38 AM »
At one point, I thought I read that 1970 used a different paint then the other years.  I know my dash frame and steering colom didn't have that much texture to them.  Maybe it's a 1970 thing.  When I redid the dash frame I used SEM Trim Black and sprayed it a little dry on the last coat to give it a very slight texture.

I think you will find a lot of factory variations with painted parts.  The workers weren't worried about every car being painted the same.  They just sprayed the paint very quickly and were onto the next one.

There is a company that sells the correct seude paints for the dash frames.  They have the paints listed over on Moparts.  I think they are quite spendy though.  For someone doing an OE restoration, those paints would have to be used.

I have several dash parts that I bought NOS. There is a slight difference in the texture of the paint.  It is only slight.  I bought them to get an idea of what the paint should look like. The paint is very easy to get.  Just go to any PPG paint supply house.  It is Ditzler paint code 9388 for the black.  I have the other codes for other colors if someone needs them.

Cory, the dash looks great.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011 - 12:06:24 AM »
This is one of the many projects I've got facing me, and like you I'd like to get it as 'perfect' as possible.  I'll add my vote to those encouraging you to go forward with the 'how-to' web site.  Please include all the details possible because for a lot of us this will be the first time diggin into a dash, etc.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black