Author Topic: Before and After of a Dash Restoration  (Read 15911 times)

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
Re: Before and After of a Dash Restoration
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011 - 12:59:02 AM »
Hey Cody, nice work. Can you install the whole unit you have pictured at once? After seeing the pictures it kinda looks like that's how the factory would have done it.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011 - 01:47:44 AM »
Cody,

I think that a complete "How-To" online D-I-Y photo directory would be great for the E-body community! :cheers:  There have been others that have done these sort of websites for other vehicle platforms (like my other car) & it's really nice to have that resource at your fingertips whenever you're about to tackle something you haven't done before or need some additional guidance in finishing up. :cheers:

BTW: The dash looks great! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011 - 02:11:03 AM by Street_Challenged73 »
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011 - 10:02:50 AM »
Can you install the whole unit you have pictured at once?

Yes, that's how the factory did it.  There are two bolts at the bottom and four at the top at the base of the windshield...that's it.  All the wiring is contained on the dash.  Once those 6 fasteners are installed, you can start connecting all the wiring. 

Just make sure the two steering colomn studs sticking out of the bottom of the brake pedal bracket are removed.  Those studs go down through the dash frame and can be installed once the dash is in.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011 - 10:04:46 PM »
Do the resto thread. I would love to read it.

Great looking work.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011 - 10:40:56 PM »
Do the resto thread. I would love to read it.

Great looking work.
 :iagree:

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011 - 12:16:19 AM »
Here's the suede codes for the dash and other interior items for 1970.  It's neat the way it looks so original with the suede texture and not just flat back.

I have several dash parts that I bought NOS. There is a slight difference in the texture of the paint.  It is only slight.  I bought them to get an idea of what the paint should look like. The paint is very easy to get.  Just go to any PPG paint supply house.  It is Ditzler paint code 9388 for the black.  I have the other codes for other colors if someone needs them.

Cory, the dash looks great.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011 - 12:20:35 AM by C O D Y »
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011 - 12:19:33 AM »
Yes, it's real easy to put everything together on the bench and install it as one unit.  The cable the vents is the only hard thing you'll have to hook up after you put the dash in..... the rest of the wires and connections are real easy to get to.

Hey Cody, nice work. Can you install the whole unit you have pictured at once? After seeing the pictures it kinda looks like that's how the factory would have done it.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2011 - 10:14:34 AM »
Cory,
  I have a 70&71  Chrysler book here.  I also have the 71 book.   I don't have the 70 only book.  My codes are the same in both books.  I wonder if there was a mid year change?  I wonder if the color was different for a woodgrain dash than a ribbed dash?  I have access to both dashes that are original.  I'm going to see what I can find out. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011 - 04:53:17 PM »
That dash looks sweet. Would you recommend i pull mine out to finish the gauges, controls, wiring, etc. or can i build it with the dash and frame already instaled. Mine is installed, as well as the heater box and defrost venst arein in.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011 - 05:06:34 PM »
The dash is so easy to remove and it makes it really easy to work on when it's out so I personally would pull it out to finish it.

That dash looks sweet. Would you recommend i pull mine out to finish the gauges, controls, wiring, etc. or can i build it with the dash and frame already instaled. Mine is installed, as well as the heater box and defrost venst arein in.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011 - 05:07:32 PM »
The dash is so easy to remove and it makes it really easy to work on when it's out so I personally would pull it out to finish it.

:iagree:

The heater box and defrost vents go in first.  Assemble the entire dash assembly outside of the car.  It will go much faster that way.  Not only durring assembly but installation as well.

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2011 - 03:27:50 PM »
Just wen to the local paint store (Foster Auto Parts) and they don't do interior paint by code. They just have a rack of spray cans of SEM in various colors. So when I asked who does, he said nobody does that anymore. I think his view of the world is limited. Oh well. Now to find the right place in town.

That's OK, I still need to build a box to contain the media when I blast the frame. It's kinda big.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011 - 03:54:24 PM »
That's what I was told too when I called the paint supply store.  You can get the correct suede paint from a guy on Moparts.  Look in the "hot deals and new products" section for the thread. 

I used SEM Trim Black and it's a color match to the paint on my dash frame.(73)  I sprayed it from a farther distance on the last coat to give it a slight texture.  It's a cheap alternative.     

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011 - 05:16:16 PM »
Just come over to my place and do it in my blast cabinet.  I can get you the suede paint locally too.  Just call me when you want to set up a time.

Just wen to the local paint store (Foster Auto Parts) and they don't do interior paint by code. They just have a rack of spray cans of SEM in various colors. So when I asked who does, he said nobody does that anymore. I think his view of the world is limited. Oh well. Now to find the right place in town.

That's OK, I still need to build a box to contain the media when I blast the frame. It's kinda big.

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2011 - 12:14:36 PM »
Fantastic! I'll do it. Thanks.