Author Topic: Key Warning Buzzer ---- Location ...  (Read 11145 times)

Offline 72ls5fla

Key Warning Buzzer ---- Location ...
« on: June 15, 2011 - 04:21:34 PM »
hey again .....

did all cars come with the warning buzzer?

I looked under my dash and could not find any type of relay connected to any wires comming from the steering column.
Only relay I saw was the horn relay plugged into the fuse block.

Insight greatly appreciated - as always..   :)

My car aso has no courtesy lights at floor level, light in the ash tray area or the trunk.

Bill

Offline bandt

Re: Key Warning Buzzer ---- Location ...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011 - 04:29:20 PM »
Key buzzer I think started in 72.
 It is part of the horn relay which is located at the top of the fuse block. It is a gold plated box.
As far as I know there was a light pkg option which included floor level, glove box, ashtray, trunk, etc. Your car may not have come with it.

I'm sure someone with more info will chime in.

Brian

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011 - 04:40:18 PM »
Yep, it's a zinc dichromate plated relay that plugs into the fuse box.  One half of it runs the key buzzer.  Shorty after dad purchased the 73, he pulled the relay, bent the buzzer spade terminal over and plugged the relay back in...no more key buzzer. :lol:

The 73 has the light package but I didn't know it had anything to do with the key buzzer.   

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011 - 05:55:52 PM »
the 70 had it too , mine has it , it is combined with the horn relay in the fuse box , just bend the right tab & the horn works & the buzzer stays silent
 map lights are connected into the yellow door / door light switch circuit , the ashtray light could be a bad bulb , it clips onto the top of the ashtray housing , remove the 3 screws & it should be ontop
 the trunk has a mercury switch in the socket so all it needs is power to the socket & it should turn on when the trunk lid is lifted

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72ls5fla

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011 - 06:58:45 PM »
did some tracing of the two red/pink wire - here is what I have found...

One wire goes to the flasher located by the brake pedal.
The other wire goes to a "T" shaped connector - that has three wires in it.

Nothing there to plug it into.

I think there might be a seperate relay for the 1970 cars, unlike the other years that use the horn relay.

I am going to take the radio out and look closer under the dash to see if the connecror was unpluged and the relay is still up there somewhere.

Will post back tomorrow with more info -

thanks again for the great ideas and info

bill

Offline Bills70

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011 - 07:53:45 PM »
I think the key warning buzzer is part of the light package my 71 has the key warning buzzer also has a headlight warning buzzer also has those turn signal things on the fenders and also has a map light!! ignition switch also lights up in the dark!!!  Not that this needs to be added but I did have the light in the trunk too!! I personally like these options!! I am ALWAYS leaving the lights on or forgetting my keys! and thanks to those buzzers I can remember everything!!   :jumping:
Bill
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011 - 07:09:37 PM by Bills70 »

Offline 72ls5fla

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011 - 09:27:04 PM »
hey ...

I purchased a NOS key warning buzzer.  Hooked it up and the "key in" -> door open makes it buzz....   :thumbsup:

Just curious -
is there a special harness needed to make the headlamp buzz too?
Did all Challengers buzz for headlamps and key?

I just thought it be a nice reminder to turn the parking lamps or lights off.

Offline David_Lee

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011 - 10:03:59 PM »
hey again .....

did all cars come with the warning buzzer?

I looked under my dash and could not find any type of relay connected to any wires comming from the steering column.
Only relay I saw was the horn relay plugged into the fuse block.

Insight greatly appreciated - as always..   :)

MY 70 Cuda came with a key buzzer and so did my 70 Challenger. The key buzzer is located in the steering column

My car aso has no courtesy lights at floor level, light in the ash tray area or the trunk.

Bill
67 Cuda Notchback
68 Valiant 170
69 Coronet RT 440
70 340 Cuda Auto
70 383 Challenger Western Sport Special
71 Dodge Demon 340
73 Duster 340 F/SA Stock Eliminator

Offline Bills70

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011 - 07:13:41 PM »

My 73 only has seatbelt buzzers, no headlight buzzer nor keylight switch nor trunk light!  As I said before I believe they are part of the light package!!

Bill 

Offline 72ls5fla

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011 - 08:02:29 PM »
the key buzzer wire and relay are mounted to lower dash just to the right of the glove box.
I purchased the buzzer, mounted it and connect the plug - works great ....

I was wondering what I would have to do to make the buzzer also work when I leave the lights on.
Would it buzz regardless of whether the key is in/out of the ignition?
What is the correct combination(s) to make it buzz for lights?

Also - is a seperate relay needed and /or  wiring harness?

Thanks.....

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011 - 05:47:45 PM »
I'm confused.  I have a 1974, it did not have any lighting package. I've reconnected the seat belt interlock and the lamp comes on when the conditions are met.  However, there is no buzzer.  I've tried various combinations of the key in the ignition/door closed/open/lights on/off all without any sort of buzz.

I tried replacing the relay, I have 3 different relays.  The 3 prong that came in the car, a replacement 3 prong of that, and 4 prong.  All of them fit into the block, the horn functions, but again no buzz.   Am I missing something?  Is there another piece like an actual buzzer somewhere? 

Offline swede-cuda

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011 - 01:31:09 PM »
I'm confused.  I have a 1974, it did not have any lighting package. I've reconnected the seat belt interlock and the lamp comes on when the conditions are met.  However, there is no buzzer.  I've tried various combinations of the key in the ignition/door closed/open/lights on/off all without any sort of buzz.

I tried replacing the relay, I have 3 different relays.  The 3 prong that came in the car, a replacement 3 prong of that, and 4 prong.  All of them fit into the block, the horn functions, but again no buzz.   Am I missing something?  Is there another piece like an actual buzzer somewhere?
:wave: hej, maybe your buzzer switch in the steering column is kaputt?it is located beside the ignition tumbler,in the tumbler section of the column.it has 2 red wires going from it, going to the flat white st,column connector.

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011 - 09:07:58 AM »
I'm confused...

Is it on the fuse block or next to the glovebox?

On my 73 there IS a 4 prong relay plugged into the fuse block (no bent prongs... looks aftermarket, though) and there IS some kind of relay next to the glovebox as mentioned by 72ls5fla.

Which one controls the buzzer on a later Challenger?

(Note: I just totally re-did my column and the buzzer control switch looked excellent and should be functioning correctly.)

I need one as I lock my door with the keys in the ignition fairly regularly when working on the car. Lol.

1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011 - 10:04:59 AM »
In my 74 the buzzer system has 2 major parts, the relay which mounts on the fuse box (this also works the horn).  This is relatively cheap < $20.  Sometimes previous owners would break off/bend the leg to disable the buzzer. My original relay is shown below:

The second part is the buzzer itself which is mounted next to the glovebox close to the passenger side door.  In my car this was unplugged.  You can reach it without pulling the glovebox. (shown on the right in the picture)

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011 - 11:18:58 AM »
Gotcha.

Possible the jackass that had the car before me just cut the wires that go to the buzzer by glove box. That's just how this guy rolled. Lol.

I'll have a look tonight.

Thanks!
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black