Author Topic: Wipers won't stow  (Read 837 times)

Offline old-school

Wipers won't stow
« on: June 17, 2011 - 12:14:56 PM »
Hello guys. I haven't been on here in quite a while. Everythings been good with my car until last night. I never take the car out in rain so the last time i checked my wipers was a couple of years ago. Well last night i turn the wipers on by mistake while reaching to turn up the dash lights. The wipers work just fine except they won't stow! When i turn them off, they stop way up on the windshield.

This is terrible timing because i'm only home for today and tomorrow and work out of town all week. Then next weekend when i come back home, i finally have my best friend visiting and we were planning to drive my car around all next weekend. Having the wipers up on the windshield isn't cool. I would appreciate any help any of you guys might be able to provide as far as a qucik fix. If i decide to take the wipers off, then how do they come off exactly. Can each wiper come right off of the post at the base? If so, how do they release? Thank you in advance for your consideration. 

Offline CID440

Re: Wipers won't stow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011 - 02:15:14 PM »
There's a clip at the base,  kind of a pain to get off but patience will pay off.

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011 - 08:41:57 PM »
The wipers won't park unless the wiper motor AND the switch are grounded.  If you had things apart, maybe the brass grounding strap is loose and isn't doing its job.  If both the motor and switch are grounded and it's still not working, then the issue is in the motor's gear box.

Offline footin70rt

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011 - 01:58:02 AM »
Try grounding the blue wire that comes in from the switch (harness side of the wiper motor) with the key on and the wiper switch in the off position. If the motor is working the wipers should park.
Thomas
Driving the same 70 R/T since October 1985
Native of Bozeman, MT

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011 - 02:27:54 AM »
what typically happens is the wipers try to park & hang up on the chrome leaving the wiper motor running in reverse trying to park the wipers until the reverse switch or motor quits working , you may be able to park the wipers as stated above or forcing them down or switching them off in the lowest position .
If you need the motor rebuilt talk to Kim @ Passion for Mopars on this site

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Slotts

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011 - 09:20:40 AM »
Try testing the wiper switch unplugged and in the off position. There should be full continuity, zero ohms, between:

A to F2
and
B to P

Slotts