Author Topic: Convertible Body Flex  (Read 5133 times)

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
Re: Convertible Body Flex
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011 - 11:20:51 AM »
VT, all convertibles came with torque boxes.  Are you sure you don't have them?  Post some pictures.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011 - 12:12:52 PM »
Never had that problem but I do get some cowl shake when going down the road occasionally. I bought frame connectors when I restore the car but didn't want to weld them or drill holes in the frame so I never installed them.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011 - 12:46:48 PM »
It's probably normal convert flex.  I've heard more than one person say that if you stick your fingure between the door and the quarter...then drive the car around a corner...your figure will get crushed.  Seems like frame connectors are the fix.  I wouldn't want to add them to a stock restored car though.

I've heard of people cutting open the rocker panels from underneith...then adding thick steel, the entire length of the rocker.  The factory added a beam in there but it wasn't enough.  Frame connectors would work better but for a restored car, something hidden would be a better choise I would think.

Offline cudastruction

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011 - 07:59:48 PM »
The US Car Tool frame connectors are really nice but you need to solve the emergency brake cable issue when you install them.  I have a 71 ragtop and have them tack welded in so that I can cut channels in the frame connectors to allow the e-brake cable to route correctly.

The 'verts do have flex but I have not experienced that issue with mine before my resto started.  At the factory they did put in a "c" shaped reinforcement inside the rockers but it was literally put in and the rockers were welded shut.  They were not welded TO the rockers! I opened mine up and added welds from the the support to the rockers in addition to adding the US Car Tool frame connectors.  The car is rock solid and has no visible flex as you hang on the car in different places.  We will see what happens when the drive train goes in...

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011 - 08:23:29 PM »
Never saw a convertible without torque boxes . . . Please post some pics!    :wave:

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011 - 10:32:16 PM »
Sorry guys - I was mistaken - the car has Torque Boxes.....    no frame rails or other add ons......   

VT Moppar
VT MOPAR