Convertible Body Flex

Author Topic: Convertible Body Flex  (Read 5137 times)

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
Convertible Body Flex
« on: June 18, 2011 - 10:53:07 PM »
I'm fortunate to have a '70 Convertible.   Had a weird experience and wondering if any other Vert owners have experienced this......    I had my car hauled to a destination and upon backing it off the truck - the driver's side door wouldn't open.   It wasn't the locks -- the latches would move as normal - but the door latch wouldn't release.   After a lot of jiggling with a long screw driver on the door latch I finally got it open.  So, I took the latch off, cleaned it up, soaked it in mineral spirits... seemed to work fine for several weeks.   Last weekend I was backing down an incline..... and then tried to open my door.........   Same thing - door was "stuck" - same as several weeks before.    I theorized that perhaps the flex in the body was causing the "hook" from the latch to move down a bit -- or the door "moved" a bit (not noticeable.....)     I jacked the car up and bingo - the door opened right up.    So - anyone else heard of this happening or do I just have a gremlin or perhaps a bad latch -- or might it be the flex in the body (by the way - no torque boxes in this car).....

Vermont MOPAR

VT MOPAR

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
Re: Convertible Body Flex
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011 - 11:06:36 PM »
Never had it happen to mine or any I've been in. Is your door adjusted properly?
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011 - 11:44:01 PM »
Never had a convertible Mopar, but had two different early 70's Mustang ragtops and a 72 Cougar XR7 convertible.  I had occasions to get these towed a time or two and this never happened to me, but these cars were 25-30 years newer when I was driving them back in the 80's.  I'd be concerned that your car may be in need of some extra sub-frame bracing if the door problem is caused by the car bending in the middle.  Good luck.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011 - 12:02:39 AM »
I know body flex does happen, especially w verts. I've got the cracks in paint to prove it. But never had a door issue ever. Extreme rust underneath?
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011 - 01:45:45 AM »
Mine is a Frankenstein 'vert and I've had door issues.  When I first bought it I adjusted the doors to open smoothly and the gaps were horrible.  After a ride down the road it was hard to open again.  I had frame connectors made that fixed the problem unless i'm parked in a weird way.
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011 - 09:17:22 AM »
That used to happen with my car whenever I'd jack it up (oil changes) or put it on jack stands (for whatever). The door gaps even had a noticeable change. Once the car was on all 4 tires it was fine. The issues went away after the bad front frame rails were replaced.
Extreme rust underneath?
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011 - 09:51:42 AM »
That used to happen with my car whenever I'd jack it up (oil changes) or put it on jack stands (for whatever). The door gaps even had a noticeable change. Once the car was on all 4 tires it was fine. The issues went away after the bad front frame rails were replaced.

I never had this issue either BUT did make sub-frame connecters... my paint cracks have NOT gotten worse.... I think John is right on the mark- check those frame rails, floor too!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline VTMopar

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011 - 02:31:41 PM »
Car was restored a few years ago (original California car with virtually no rust).  Door sure seems to be adjusted properly..... but I'm not sure how to judge that :)    Opens easily and closes "normally" except for the two times mentioned..... 

Is there a "test" to determine if connectors are something I should consider? 

thanks....

Vt Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011 - 11:11:28 PM »
Its MOPAR and a rag top. That automatically makes connecters something to consider!  :grinyes:  :thumbsup:

I made mine with $10 worth of steel you dont need to spend big money on prefabbed ones.
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline wiging19

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011 - 03:06:48 AM »
I have a convertible too.  I had frame connectors put on my car and had some door flexing problems before the addition.  I'm in the process of putting a more modern drive train in my car with significantly more engine than I had previously ( including an alterkation front suspension).  The guy doing the work for my car checked my car to be sure everything was aligned in accordance with factory specifications.  They found my car even with the connectors was out of alignment and needed to straighten the frame to make it factory perfect. I know the person doing the body work in 1999 welded bars in place to keep the car square while replacing the rear quarters/trunk (weak are of convertibles).  Unfortunately for whatever reason the car was out of spec.  So be sure your frame is to factory spec before welding anything in place.  I've read some very good articles on how to do it right in this forum so the information is here.  Just some insight into what I've learned about frame sagging, body work and frame connectors on my car. As a rule you only want to do that kind of thing once and make sure it is done right.  After 41 years you would expect some fatigue and stretching.   Hoped my experiences give you something to reflect on.
 :working:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011 - 07:44:31 AM »
 :iagree:

I put sub frame connectors in both my convertibles and it made a judge difference on the twist.
Drive through a parking lot entrance with a big dip at an angle real slow and watch your car twist  :22yikes:
The cars were spot welded together back in the 70 and have no top to hold them squar.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011 - 09:13:09 AM »
BTW... get some torque boxes too!  :2thumbs:
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline whitsend

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011 - 08:31:10 PM »
 :clueless:   I thought all converts came with torque boxes?

Offline VTMopar

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011 - 10:39:48 PM »
Good advice - thanks all!

VT Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011 - 11:45:26 PM »
I'm a big fan of the US Car Tool connectors that fit the contour of the floors.  Any E-body I get in the future, especially droptops, will get them.