Author Topic: new Challenger seats in one of our cars?  (Read 11604 times)

Offline ajantics

• Yeah......Im a drummer!
Re: new Challenger seats in one of our cars?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011 - 10:41:49 AM »
My seats are in and my fab guy was able to keep all the power accessories.  Said if he took all the motors off they would have sat TOO low.  I'll post pics when I get it back.
:useless: :cheers:
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011 - 11:00:28 AM »
My seats are in and my fab guy was able to keep all the power accessories.  Said if he took all the motors off they would have sat TOO low.  I'll post pics when I get it back.

That is good news!  Measure the height from floor to top of seat cushion and take those pics.... :bigsmile:

Offline challngd73

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011 - 08:03:51 PM »
no measurements....but a couple pics..

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011 - 10:13:18 PM by challngd73 »

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011 - 09:06:45 PM »
they look good! :thumbsup:

Offline MirageCuda

• 1974 Cuda
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011 - 01:17:08 AM »
Very nice!
Randy
1974 Plymouth Cuda
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
1991 Nissan Skyline GTR
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011 - 08:19:39 PM »
OK, my son took a pic with his phone of the passenger seat.  Turns out to be vinyl and not cloth...on the other hand, it comes closer to matching the '70's interior than I had imagined.  If I can shoehorn them in, it might look pretty good.

Did not realize I was getting a rear seat as well...not sure what it will be good for, but, until I see all three pieces, this is pretty much it.  May have to figure out how to drop the high side of the floor pan to maximize the room to crawl under the wheel, as well as headroom. 

Offline challngd73

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011 - 08:28:26 PM »
looks real nice!

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011 - 08:48:58 PM »
I cropped out, blew up, and lightened the pic so it is noisy as heck, but, he says they are very nice, and very comfortable...

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011 - 08:56:29 PM »
OK, my son took a pic with his phone of the passenger seat.  Turns out to be vinyl and not cloth...on the other hand, it comes closer to matching the '70's interior than I had imagined.  If I can shoehorn them in, it might look pretty good.

Did not realize I was getting a rear seat as well...not sure what it will be good for, but, until I see all three pieces, this is pretty much it.  May have to figure out how to drop the high side of the floor pan to maximize the room to crawl under the wheel, as well as headroom.

I agree they sure look pretty close to an original 1970 seat! Exactly how tall are they? I wonder if you could cut the mounts an lower it some?  :dunno:  Wih they were leather with gator grain/hide in the middle. :drool:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011 - 09:12:35 PM »
I think they are leather with a phoney suede in the middle?

he said the drivers appeared to be in the lowered position but he did not have time to turn them over and look at the range of adjustment...said it looked to be 9-9.5" to the front of the cushion....Passenger side is not adjustable up and down..he thought it was taller.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011 - 09:16:42 PM »
I think they are leather with a phoney suede in the middle?

he said the drivers appeared to be in the lowered position but he did not have time to turn them over and look at the range of adjustment...said it looked to be 9-9.5" to the front of the cushion....Passenger side is not adjustable up and down..he thought it was taller.

Any chance you could post a picture of the bottom?
I jut measured my seat, about 7" from the floor to top of the seat,6" between the seat and tuff wheel. I don't think I could afford to lose 2" between the seat and steering wheel without a tilt column like Challngd73
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011 - 09:24:30 PM by brads70 »
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011 - 09:55:19 PM »
you want a side shot of the bottom?   I will see if he can be bothered to find a decent camera :)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011 - 10:12:15 PM »
you want a side shot of the bottom?   I will see if he can be bothered to find a decent camera :)

Ya I'm just wondering if something can be modified to drop it some?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011 - 01:23:28 AM »
Brad, his camera is not charged up...he took some more phone pics and I will try to sort them out, but.......

the 9 1/2" is to the top of the side bolster...the actual seat is lower....

Now, these damn things are not the same side to side...

On the driver's side, on the new Challenger, there are four pedestals coming out of the floor pan and the drivers seat is mounted on rails which bolt to the top of the pedestals.   It is hard to tell if the seat can be lowered anymore than it currently is, but, the pics show the skirt on the seat to be just above the rail.  Because the rail is on pedestals, there is room for the seat to drop a bit more versus them IF there is any downward movement left in the mechanism.    That I do not know at the moment.  Need to figure the wiring out to put power to the seat and see if it will drop more...in our car, the drivers side, door jam area of the pan is built up about an inch compared to the console side so the seat could not drop much more without some mod...either elevate the rail mount, or cut the elevated portion of the pan and lower it....I have to look at mine because I have the pan cut out on the passenger side and I don't know what would create interference without going back and looking..will do that tomorrow.

Now, on the passenger side of the new challenger, there are no pedestals on the floor pan, instead, as shown in the pic above, the seat sets on four legs that drop below the slides/rails...looks like these could be sectioned somewhat.

I believe they will work with a little hacking...I think my steering wheel is smaller than stock...I will try to remember to measure it against the floor tomorrow...I meant to today, but, my mind wanders and I started thinking about a trim piece for the hood....:)

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011 - 01:45:21 AM »
Okay, here is a couple of side shots of the drivers seat.  Notice where it shows 9.5", that is to the high part of the bolster..you can look at the pic of the passenger side seat and see how deep the cushion is between the bolsters at that point...

You can also tell the difference in the two mounting styles...