Author Topic: new Challenger seats in one of our cars?  (Read 11608 times)

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
new Challenger seats in one of our cars?
« on: June 24, 2011 - 10:30:22 PM »
Brad, you have bound to looked at this!  :D

I might know where a pair of R/T seats are...don't know if they are affordable or not, but, I wonder if they would fit, or would the car need a sun roof for head room?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: new Challenger seats in one of our cars?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011 - 10:47:02 PM »
  :wave: I'm that predictable huh!  :icon16:
Biggest problem with any seats is the distance between the steering wheel and the seat, so you would need a seat that sits as low as possible. If the new Challenger seats are any taller than the originals I would say no? :dunno:
I wish the seats reclined back some to give me more head clearance and could move back another 6" for more leg room.  One could do that with modern seats I would think if they were low enough? All depends how tall you are I guess? I'm 6'1" I think Mike has the same issue?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011 - 11:28:03 PM »
:D....You are a young, more talented version of me.  I will be 70 in a few months and I am still learning and wondering...maybe having a 28 yr old son is driving me, not sure.

I am short legged and long in the top half to make six ft.  My son is three inches shorter than me and has longer legs....one size does not fit all. 

I suspect that power seats complicate the problem as it is hard to drop them too far without sectioning the floor pans.  I am in the process of doing floor pans and I really don't want to complicate the problem but I want something that is comfortable to sit in for a few hours.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011 - 04:44:31 PM »
I bought them.  Came out of an 2009 that the guy replaced with SRT seats at 5000 miles...not sure how I will get them in.  They are down in Houston at the moment so I have to get my son to bring them out whenever he visits
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011 - 05:23:19 PM by Strawdawg »

Offline challngd73

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011 - 07:21:11 PM »
I bought them.  Came out of an 2009 that the guy replaced with SRT seats at 5000 miles...not sure how I will get them in.  They are down in Houston at the moment so I have to get my son to bring them out whenever he visits
I have the same issue with the pontiac G8 seats I bought for my Challenger.  With all the power accessories, they are pretty tall.  I dont need power seats, so I can get rid of all that and fit them on some manual sliders.  Plus I just put in a tilt steering column so that helps with leg room.  With switching to manual sliders, I will probably save at least 4 inches.  Post pics when you get yours in.  Mine are gonna be done this weekend.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011 - 07:34:58 PM »
It will be awhile before I get them and get to it...but, I wondered about doing the same...sad to remove the power but, sometimes that is easier than channeling the floor pans...
  :)

Be sure to post some pics of yours...I had thought the G8s might be easier
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011 - 07:36:34 PM by Strawdawg »

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011 - 10:00:04 PM »
I think aftermarket is the way to go (like Recaros, Corbeau, Flofit, etc.), but seen Sebring convertible seats in our old Mopars and they seem like they wouldn't be too tall.

Here's a pic of the older style (bit uglier how huge they are at the top):
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011 - 10:04:01 PM by ragtopchally »
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011 - 10:03:27 PM »
I hear these old Omni seats work well too, but not sure if they're power; doubt it.

I got me some Recaro Trend Toplines like these to put in the car that I know won't be tall:

'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline challngd73

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011 - 05:09:04 AM »
Off topic but I wish xv motorsports would sell those center consoles..

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011 - 10:39:10 AM »
that console probably costs more than the car is worth!  Sure nice looking.  :)

I almost went ahead and bought some aftermarket seats, but I was hesitating as I read so many contrary reviews on the various brands.  Then I heard about the R/T seats thru a friend of my son who is in the Houston Mopar club.   The price was right and I made a flash decision to see for myself.  Probably have to resell them or turn them into tv chairs. 

I think power mechanism is what makes them so tall unless originally designed for our use.

Offline challngd73

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011 - 02:02:12 PM »
that console probably costs more than the car is worth!  Sure nice looking.  :)

I almost went ahead and bought some aftermarket seats, but I was hesitating as I read so many contrary reviews on the various brands.  Then I heard about the R/T seats thru a friend of my son who is in the Houston Mopar club.   The price was right and I made a flash decision to see for myself.  Probably have to resell them or turn them into tv chairs. 

I think power mechanism is what makes them so tall unless originally designed for our use.

Hey its worth a try, for the price you got them.  Im sure you can resell them for the same if necessary.  Put some manual sliders on them, and be all set!  how often do you REALLY use the power seats after you get it set in your driving position? 

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011 - 02:53:26 PM »
I think I got them for a good price...particularly when they were removed at 5000 miles.

Yep, I will look at going manual on them...back reclining is all I have ever changed and that may be manual on them anyway....will have to examine them to see how easy it will be.  :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011 - 09:28:20 AM »
Off topic but I wish xv motorsports would sell those center consoles..

They'd find a way to screw something up.
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline challngd73

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011 - 10:24:23 AM »
They'd find a way to screw something up.
Haha... You are probably right.  And the customer service would suck as usual.

Offline challngd73

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011 - 10:27:52 AM »
I think I got them for a good price...particularly when they were removed at 5000 miles.

Yep, I will look at going manual on them...back reclining is all I have ever changed and that may be manual on them anyway....will have to examine them to see how easy it will be.  :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained....
My seats are in and my fab guy was able to keep all the power accessories.  Said if he took all the motors off they would have sat TOO low.  I'll post pics when I get it back.