new Challenger seats in one of our cars?

Author Topic: new Challenger seats in one of our cars?  (Read 11616 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: new Challenger seats in one of our cars?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011 - 07:45:23 AM »
Wow your burning the midnight oil on that one!  :grinyes:  Can't wait to see what you come up with!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011 - 12:31:38 PM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011 - 09:29:02 AM »
some benefits to being older than dirt...

Need to find a wiring diagram for the seats so I can figure out how to operate them without undue smoke :clueless:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011 - 12:33:42 PM »
some benefits to being older than dirt...

Need to find a wiring diagram for the seats so I can figure out how to operate them without undue smoke :clueless:

I hear that! Electrical is not my " gift"  either!  :grinno:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011 - 01:14:02 PM »
it is a lot easier when you know for sure which wire does what...that is for sure.

Problem with cutting the floor pan is that the braces that support the seat on the outside are built up to fit under the bumps in the floor pan and carry the seat weight...not sure why they did it that way but it just complicates things when performing surgery..... :)

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011 - 01:33:15 PM »
 :popcorn:  Watching this thread with interest.

Would love some better-supporting seats at a reasonable price but dont want the seats to look out of place.

Offline ajantics

• Yeah......Im a drummer!
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011 - 02:35:42 PM »
I really like this idea! If this works for you I may have to switch from my idea of putting in the crossfire srt6 seats in!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200480270865&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_500wt_948
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011 - 09:56:08 PM »
I've got a set of new SRT-8 Challenger seats for my Pro-Touring project that I bought from a racing team that stripped a new SRT to make into a race car. They are full electric with seat heat. I've mocked them up and will need to lower the outer raised bump on the floor pans to make them lower. I'm 6'2" and they are too high for me if I built the mounts to level them across the bump. If I recall correctly Confederate Cuda used BMW seats (I think it was his car or maybe it was Twisted Fish?) and had to lower the pans. He did it by purchasing another set of repro partial pans and sectioned them to lower the floor while maintaining the stock ribs on the floor. I've purchased the seat heat controller and switches but have yet to test wire/fire them.

If you do lower the pans make sure you put some additional thickness in the seat bolt areas like the factory did to keep them from ripping out in an accident.

I also have the rear seat which I will try to make work. I've mini-tubbed the car 2" per side/4" total so I will have to do some custom work on the rear seat to make fit but in stock non mini-tubbed configuration it looks very close to working without too much work.

Here's a link to a Magnum wiring diagram that Travis72 gave me (thanks!).

http://www.custommagnums.com/index.php?page=LXservicemanual

Also check on the Crossfire seats since they may not fold forward for rear seat access. The Challenger only flips all the way forward on one side. That was a concern of mine. I wanted forward flipping seats to access the back.

Wes

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011 - 10:58:07 PM »
thanks, Wes...I am putting pans in right now and almost modded the mounts...may have to go back after the fact and do it...I am 6' and suspect it will be close....my son is shorter...looks about right for him.

Thanks, for the link!

I thought my son had gotten the rear as well, but, he told me today that he only got the buckets...but could get the back for a small amount...I meant to measure today to see how wide the rear is on the car...I guessed the rear out of the new Challenger was wider....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011 - 11:00:11 PM by Strawdawg »

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011 - 02:42:08 PM »
Okay, things move slowly, but..

Here are a couple of pics..one showing the mod to the floor pan.  Basically cut the door side humps out of the pan, cut the factory braces off, made new ones to sit a bit more than an inch lower and put a piece of steel across the two braces to fill the hole in the floor pan that resulted.

Other pic of the seat just sitting on the floor to check for clearance before we got serious with welding everything up.  I guess the seat is about an inch higher than the factory seat now but I can crawl in without a problem and still have some headroom.  Damn, that seat is comfortable.

I went ahead and got the rear seat as well.  Have not mocked it up yet but will have to build a frame for the lower as it sits above the tunnel and does not go down to the floor.  It may work okay also.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011 - 10:25:46 PM »
Looks great! Keep us updated. I need to start the mods to my pans to fit my SRT8 seats soon. Similar plan as yours. I'll need to major mods to the rear seat also plus narrowing it for the mini tubs. I've see Guys build sort of a shelf for OEM rear seats to sit on. Maybe it was Matt Delaney with a Sebring rear seat....can't remember.

Wes

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011 - 10:47:13 PM »
starting the passenger side now....I tried sitting it (passenger seat) on top of the hump and lifting the inboard side ala stock, but, it looked funny so we will cut the floor out on it to match.  I believe that Grant steering wheel is 13" or a fraction over...that helps a little.  Headroom is okay....bunch of clean up coming next

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011 - 02:45:06 PM »
I have charger daytona seats in my challenger
I posted pics in my thread

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011 - 07:46:25 PM »
I have charger daytona seats in my challenger
I posted pics in my thread

Your car is beautiful!  Thanks for the link

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011 - 06:43:54 PM »
bolted down..on to the next problem :)

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011 - 07:36:23 PM »
Strawdawg,
So how do the sit\feel behind the wheel?
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...