Display in car show or not

Author Topic: Display in car show or not  (Read 3740 times)

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
Display in car show or not
« on: June 25, 2011 - 12:07:29 AM »
I have a situation on which I would like some opinions.
I have a few classic cars which were built mainly as toys or nice weather drivers.  They are not show cars and have their share of nicks and scratches but are generally quite presentable inside and out. 

I don’t really have the free time it takes to take them to a local show and sit behind them in a lawn chair from 9am to 4pm.  I wish I did.  I do like to go to many of the local car shows just to look around and check out other examples of the kinds of cars that started my obsession with automobiles.  I normally drive one of my classic cars to get groceries on a sunny day, and also drive them to these shows. 

I am usually asked if I want to put them “on the lawn”, but I normally decline because I don’t plan on staying at the show for more than a couple of hours.  I have had people tell me I should display them even if it is just for a few hours, and I don’t mind the modest entry fee because it is usually for a good cause anyway.  I wouldn’t put them in a judged class or anything, but I just don’t know if it seems in bad form to display a car for only a couple hours when some of the people in the show have dedicated much more time to it.

I would like to hear opinions on whether it is better to show it for just a few hours, or just put it in the parking lot.  I will probably post this on a few forums to get more opinions.  Sorry if you have read this before.
** Shane **

Offline Mentally Challenged

Re: Display in car show or not
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011 - 12:24:31 AM »
As long as you don't mind their fees to enter, I would say go for it. Nothing wrong with showing a car that is driven. Even if it is just for a few hours, I am sure people would get a joy out of seeing it.  :2thumbs:
Chris, Ohio

Offline 528 Hemi Cuda

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011 - 12:54:58 AM »
I agree.  There are a lot of people that like to look at all kinds of different cars.  When we take Blofish and Pink Ice to Shows we always pay the entry fee to help support the Show.  Like you said the money always goes to a good cause.  When we pay the fee we just tell them we are here to support their Show and we do not need to have the cars judged.   Sometimes they insist on judging especially if they give money away.  In that case we donate the money to the Show to help their cause.  Most of the outdoor Shows we go to help kids so we have no problem donating price money if they give it.  We are like you, sometimes we do not stay all day.  It depends on how hot it gets.  If it gets really hot, which summers usually do we leave early.  Hope everyone enjoys their weekend. 
Pink Ice         

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011 - 05:30:45 AM »
As long as you don't mind their fees to enter, I would say go for it. Nothing wrong with showing a car that is driven. Even if it is just for a few hours, I am sure people would get a joy out of seeing it.  :2thumbs:

:iagree:  There are lots of people like yourself who either don`t have the time or just do not want to sit around all day and it`s OK to show it and leave early.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011 - 07:45:23 AM »
Yea sitting in a show all day in the sun.......well I would rather be working on the car but I have entered a ton of shows and left early and a few days later a trophy shows up in the mail,

back in the day they would put a small sticker on the headlight to let you know you have won something and they wanted all the winners together ,we called it "trophy jail" and you had to wait until 4 o'clock to get your car out, so I say show it and go when you have had enough :popcorn:

Offline polarbear123

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011 - 07:47:27 AM »
SHOW IT

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011 - 07:50:48 AM »
I agree , leave when you need/want to. I never even bother to register my car as I couldn't care less about a prize/trophy. I'm just there to look at all the other nice cars and to get a closer parking spot! ( and safe from the regular parking lot)  :grinyes: 
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011 - 08:10:28 AM »
Show it, no sense in going car-less or parking in the regular lot.  I've never been charged an entry fee at a show besides Carlisle.  Mostly a donation of a buck or 2 for a charity is recommended at the gate.

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011 - 08:32:12 AM »
Damn, i wish it was like Massacussetts round here Tom!! Every show around here is $12-$15 to enter. Nuts. I usually go and don't enter b/c most of the time there is no "good cause" just a terrible goody bag with rubber bands in it. Really lame. I wish it were $5 with no goody bag, i bet they would pull more cars that way. I cant be the only cheap skate around here!!

:faint:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011 - 08:54:00 AM »
If the show fee is the same as the spectator fee, I usually put mine in the show. It makes for a good parking space, too.

I know what you mean about spending all day. I won a trophy at a show earlier this year, but didn't stick around long enough to collect it.

I prefer cruise nights. They're free and you come & go as you please with no actual judging.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline mjb765

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011 - 09:38:03 AM »
Park in the show...makes for a better parking spot, people are more careful around the car and it won't get hit by some kid blasting a car door open into it cause he is so exited to be at the show he can't wait to get out of the parking lot and see the cars.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011 - 09:58:54 AM »
Well if there are no cars the there won't be any spectators.  Usually I get a free T-shirt to go with as well.LOL

Tom

FWIW I'm in Southern NH now but roll down to MA for most shows/cruise nights.  I'm still trying to figure out what's going on around here.   Nice to see familiar faces when i go. 

But the few times I've been to area stuff the people have been great.
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011 - 10:19:06 AM »
Damn, i wish it was like Massacussetts round here Tom!! Every show around here is $12-$15 to enter. Nuts. I usually go and don't enter b/c most of the time there is no "good cause" just a terrible goody bag with rubber bands in it. Really lame. I wish it were $5 with no goody bag, i bet they would pull more cars that way. I cant be the only cheap skate around here!!

:faint:

That is nuts! I don't blame you!  :villagers:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline usraptr

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011 - 11:32:46 AM »
I agree , leave when you need/want to. I never even bother to register my car as I couldn't care less about a prize/trophy. I'm just there to look at all the other nice cars and to get a closer parking spot! ( and safe from the regular parking lot)  :grinyes:

:iagree:  Show it!!
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline MirageCuda

• 1974 Cuda
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011 - 09:54:30 PM »
Show it!   :2thumbs:
Randy
1974 Plymouth Cuda
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
1991 Nissan Skyline GTR
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX