Author Topic: My eBay purchased 74  (Read 101083 times)

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
Re: My eBay purchased 74
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2012 - 06:51:45 PM »
I always wish I could do more :)  Most of the restoration threads on here put me to shame....I've never even used a welder.  Maybe some day!

Offline John A

« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2012 - 02:46:31 PM »
Those valve covers are a work of art ! It is those small detail type projects that eat up the most time but it makes a world of difference when they are done. Nice!

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2012 - 04:10:10 PM »
Week 35:

I decided to remove the lower grille trim and see if I could do anything with the dent in it.  Here is what it looked like before:

It still has quite a ways to go but I'm happy with the progress. After a lot of hammering it looks like this:

I also picked up a set of rear bumper fillers off eBay this week.  They showed up friday and I started cleaning them.  I'm probably going to need to refinish them, but I'm much more comfortable doing that to these instead of the set on my car.

And finally I primed, painted, and cleared the oil cap.  Weather wasn't the best but I would just step outside, mist it and then take it back inside to dry.  I'm very happy with how it came out, and that it matches the valve covers I painted last week.

Offline dusty

« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2012 - 06:45:05 AM »
That's looking really really good man! Keep it up!

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2012 - 03:32:17 PM »
Week 36:

I did a test swap of the valve covers....well originally it wasn't supposed to be a test fit but when I went to put the repainted covers on I realized I never purchased any gaskets for them... :faint:  The gaskets should show up this week and then I can get the wires routed and everything buttoned up. 
 As Is:

To Be:

I also started cleaning all the lens (side markers, parking lamps, etc).  They aren't too bad but it's a quick and simple project I can do while waiting for other stuff.  Here's one in the "after" state:

I also put some more work in on the lower grille trim...hopefully next week I'll be able to put it back on the car.  I also managed to make a little bit of headway on my stock air cleaner.  I need one decent day to get the primer coat done, and then 1-2 days to get the whole thing painted and clear coated.  Maybe I'll get lucky next week.

Offline Cuda_Kevin

« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2012 - 05:37:40 PM »
That is a fantastic car and keep up the great work!!!  I just loved reading and viewing all the posts!

Just wondering how or what you cleaned all your lenses with?  Also, did you ever figure out a way to bring down the aft hood edge?  I have a similar problem with my hood and am trying not to purchase new hinges....

Thanks for everything!

Kevin
"I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help"  : )

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2012 - 05:48:44 PM »
Burdar mentioned he had luck with some Meguiar's PlastX on his lenses, so I picked up a bottle of Meguiar's G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish off Amazon.  I plan to go over all the markers while I'm waiting for other stuff to arrive.

For the hinges, there is some adjustment you can make as the mounts are oval,  I tried a few positions and got it better..but not great.  I picked up a set of hinges off moparts a few weeks back, I plan on installing them and seeing if they are any better.  It seems like a lot of people have had issues with the springs going bad after all these years.

I also took some pictures of the air cleaner while I was in the garage.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2012 - 05:51:28 PM »
  Also, did you ever figure out a way to bring down the aft hood edge?  I have a similar problem with my hood and am trying not to purchase new hinges....Kevin
Loosen the bolts and raise the front end of the hinge. It will make the rear of the hood sit lower.  :2cents:

Nice progress Jamiez!  :2thumbs:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2012 - 03:28:37 PM »
Week 37 brought some warm weather...which meant it was time to break out the paints and finish up the air cleaner.  A few coats of orange and several of clear and it was time to apply the decals:

I also got the gaskets in for the valve covers and swapped them over. Here is the full effect with them all on the car:

I still need to find some correct looking fasteners for the OSAC/NOX valve, do some hose work, and get the air cleaner lid gasket from Detroit Muscle Technology installed. But at least now I can see some progress.

In between coats of paint I worked on the trim.  I've finally got it all sanded and just need to polish it.  Unfortunately the laundry is piling up and I decided to take care of that instead :)

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2012 - 08:01:56 PM »
she's lookin good  :2thumbs: I always love reading these step by step posts. Always makes me want to get out and fix something on mine. Keep up the good work. Btw, what type of paint did you use on the valve covers? Wouldn't mind freshening up the blue on my engine as the paint has chipped in some places
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2012 - 08:08:09 PM »
Btw, what type of paint did you use on the valve covers? Wouldn't mind freshening up the blue on my engine as the paint has chipped in some places

PlastiKote Engine Enamel color 232 Chrysler Blue and PlastiKote Engine Enamel color 229 Clear  I used their primer too but I don't have any of it left so I don't have the number.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2012 - 08:51:38 PM »
PlastiKote Engine Enamel color 232 Chrysler Blue and PlastiKote Engine Enamel color 229 Clear  I used their primer too but I don't have any of it left so I don't have the number.

Nice job with the paint, Jamiez!  Looks great!  :thumbsup:

Wondering though, where did you find Plasticote paint?  I used their interior vinyl paint for my blue interior and now VIP Auto in MA no longer carries Plastikote.

Thanks!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2012 - 08:55:46 PM »
Wondering though, where did you find Plasticote paint?  I used their interior vinyl paint for my blue interior and now VIP Auto in MA no longer carries Plastikote.
Amazon.com :)  It actually ships from a place called Midway Auto Supply, not sure if you could order from them directly.  It takes 8-10 days typically..although when I ran out of primer it took 2 weeks to get another can.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2012 - 09:24:23 PM »
Cool!  Thanks for the info.  I have a blue interior and the blue interior paint matched really well.  I think they are out of thr UK if I am not mistaken.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2012 - 05:30:30 PM »
Are you going to paint the manifold blue? I think it would look really good