Author Topic: My eBay purchased 74  (Read 101131 times)

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: My eBay purchased 74
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011 - 06:04:29 PM »
Got any full length pics?  rear pics?

Would love to see more of this time capsule.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011 - 06:10:58 PM »
Really cool. I'm loving the old school paint job.   :ylsuper:  Keep us updated.  :2thumbs:

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011 - 06:45:19 PM »
nice ride,,more pictures,,how much did you get it for
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011 - 07:26:22 PM »
Week 7:

After consulting with C O D Y, I decided to pull the handle off the ashtray door and repaint it.  At some point in time the whole thing could use a respray, but that's more work than I wanted to get into right now. You can see the before and after images below.

On the parts front, the brackets came in for the rear bumper guards, but the guards themselves are very difficult to find.  Apparently AMD is retooling that part and finding some in stock somewhere was a challenge.  I put in an order for a hood insulation pad, and clips (they should arrive mid/late next week). And finally I won an auction for a repaired AM/FM radio so I can replace that silver aftermarket cassette player that someone stuck in there....assuming they didn't butcher the wiring too badly.

Most of my time with the car this week was spent driving it to get used to the manual transmission.  I live in a very hilly area with a lot of stop signs so that's an added challenge.  I've also discovered some speedometer issues and based on the feedback I got, they all seem to be related to the cable needing to be lubed.  I went out to get some lube today but apparently all the Napa stores near me decided to close of the holidays at 4pm.  I guess I'll have to pick it up next week.  Oh and I noticed the clock is shot too...so maybe pulling the dash isn't that far off....

As requested I also included a full length shot and rear quarter which shows the paint details from the other thread.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011 - 06:51:02 PM by Jamiez »

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011 - 08:40:16 PM »
Week 8:

The week started off great as I got the hood insulation and it went in without any issues.

On Thursday the NOS clock and repaired radio showed up.  I removed the aftermarket radio and amp, and discovered that the glove box was hacked up to fit the amp and the wiring is a puzzle.   

Once the radio was out of the way, I pulled the power from the clock and hooked it up to my replacement, and was greeted with the tick tick tick of a working clock.  I realized I didn't have a screw driver small enough to remove the screw in the set knob, so I hopped in my Jeep and drove to Lowes.  I picked up the screw driver and on my way home....when I got rear ended.

That put a damper on my restoration work for the week.  I still managed to replace the clock (mostly out of determination).  I also pulled the speedo cable because it was easy to get with the radio gone.  I took it out coated it with lube and put it back in.  I made an effort to put the radio in but I was too banged up and sore to work under the dash too long. I did manage to button it back up so it's drivable, but I decided to just take it easy and rest up this weekend.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011 - 06:47:35 PM by Jamiez »

Offline acudanut

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011 - 06:38:56 PM »
:smilielol:  That's good, never thought of that!  :2thumbs:
I don't "get it" what do you mean ?

Offline Matt70

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011 - 07:34:17 PM »
Little by little keep it up. Love your car! F$3king awesome!  :2thumbs:   :drool:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011 - 08:28:05 PM »
I love this car.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011 - 09:00:56 PM »
I don't "get it" what do you mean ?

The McDonald commercial......say "I'm lovin it"

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011 - 09:03:13 PM »
I don't know how I missed this thread this long.  :bricks1:

Jamize, I love your car and the retro paint scheme.  You are doing some good work.  :2thumbs:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011 - 07:49:14 AM »
Thanks for the compliments.  Despite saying week 8 the thread really hasn't been around that long.  I only recently started posting it on this board.  Hopefully I won't lose this entire week dealing with insurance adjusters.

Offline joelson6

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011 - 03:31:42 PM »
OMG !  :2thumbs: i'm in love with the paint scheme. awesome!

i hope your gonna keep it

if i didn't have something already picked out for my '74 challenger
i would have done something like what you have. totally 70's retro

:2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011 - 08:00:13 PM »
Week 9:

Most of my working on the Challenger time was instead spent dealing with the insurance company and getting my Jeep to a repair shop.  In fact Saturday was the only real time I had to work on the car.  I did manage to sneak in a quick ride to check the speedometer fix.  It still reads a bit high but the lube seems to have reduced the needle wiggle.  Hopefully a longer trip will work the grease in and eliminate the problem entirely.  I also swapped out the mauled glove box for a replacement.  I managed to trace down the original harness that connects to the rear speaker fader, the dash speaker, and the rear.  Fortunately, when the aftermarket radio was installed the dash speaker was not used, and new wiring was run to the rear, leaving the original harness intact.  I also found some wiring diagrams so I know how to connect the crossover box when it actually arrives. 

And finally on Saturday I went to an auto swap meet in Canfield.  There wasn't much in the way of Mopar stuff so I didn't end up buying anything. But there was a tempting 69 Roadrunner with a 6 Pack (not numbers matching).....if only I had more space....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011 - 06:44:53 PM by Jamiez »

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011 - 10:27:46 PM »
Week 7:

After consulting with C O D Y, I decided to pull the handle off the ashtray door and repaint it.  At some point in time the whole thing could use a respray, but that's more work than I wanted to get into right now. You can see the before and after images below.

On the parts front, the brackets came in for the rear bumper guards, but the guards themselves are very difficult to find.  Apparently AMD is retooling that part and finding some in stock somewhere was a challenge.  I put in an order for a hood insulation pad, and clips (they should arrive mid/late next week). And finally I won an auction for a repaired AM/FM radio so I can replace that silver aftermarket cassette player that someone stuck in there....assuming they didn't butcher the wiring too badly.

Most of my time with the car this week was spent driving it to get used to the manual transmission.  I live in a very hilly area with a lot of stop signs so that's an added challenge.  I've also discovered some speedometer issues and based on the feedback I got, they all seem to be related to the cable needing to be lubed.  I went out to get some lube today but apparently all the Napa stores near me decided to close of the holidays at 4pm.  I guess I'll have to pick it up next week.  Oh and I noticed the clock is shot too...so maybe pulling the dash isn't that far off....

As requested I also included a full length shot and rear quarter which shows the paint details from the other thread.

I have to ask this ... You really want to put the bumper guards on?  I hate to say I would leave them off.  I might have to weld-up the rear valance or as most just leave it as is.  However .... it is only my opinion.
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011 - 07:33:14 PM »
To be honest I'm not entirely sure.  There were absent when I purchased the car, so I'm not sure what they would look like on the car.  I might put them on and decide...they look horrible, or I might like it.  Only way to know for sure is to mount a set on there